Game-Labs Forum

a few suggestions from a new player

1.   Ok, you could add a skill "navigator" then you could see your position on the map only once every 15 minutes or so.

2.   I think PVE combat missions would be more fun and interesting if there were 3 or 4 possible ships instead on the same one each time.

3.   The lowest level PVE combat mission enemy ship SHOULD NOT have 40 % more armor and 20% more guns the new people. There is no training or tutorial to

help new people get started, so the first combat missions should be alittle more fair. i.e. same armor and weapon values.

4. I do not think the first PVE combat mission enemy ship should set me on fire EVERY 3 MATCH. I haven't started a fire on them YET!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you missed the point. A new player is not going to stay very long if they lose 4 out of 5 newbie combat missions. The enemy boat is over-powered in armor and cannons for the beginning missions.

I found a few other problems with the midshipman level combat mission since my first post. Even after cutting up the sails to 37%, it still sails about the same as 100% sails.(that is the absolute lowest I could get them)

And, in the last match, I killed all but 5 crew on that ship, but it still reloaded and fired the guns at the same speed as if it had a full crew.

12 hours ago, Viper2 said:

1.   Ok, you could add a skill "navigator" then you could see your position on the map only once every 15 minutes or so.

i know that its not that easy to locate urself on the map but possible of u use landmarks and the right course. as long as there is no storm u should find every mission or port u need.

2.   I think PVE combat missions would be more fun and interesting if there were 3 or 4 possible ships instead on the same one each time.

in most missions are 3-5 possible enemy constellations. in the lower missions u do not have so many ships, thats why u often face the same enemy.

3.   The lowest level PVE combat mission enemy ship SHOULD NOT have 40 % more armor and 20% more guns the new people. There is no training or tutorial to

help new people get started, so the first combat missions should be alittle more fair. i.e. same armor and weapon values.

thats a big well known problem. the beginning for new players is too hard. even veterans struggle to survive a 7th rate mission in a basic cutter. i really dont know why the devs do not fix it...

4. I do not think the first PVE combat mission enemy ship should set me on fire EVERY 3 MATCH. I haven't started a fire on them YET!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess u use the open magazine access thats why u are on fire so often.  fires are not very dangerous in PvE fights. ignore them and use the way better reload with the upgrades.

20 hours ago, Viper2 said:

YOU ARE RIGHT. The lowest level missions are too difficult for a brand new player. They probably would not be if there were tutorials but alas...

Their difficulty is probably about right for someone who knows the game already but is sailing the smaller ship. For example, while I'm certainly not top tier in combat ability, a midshipman level mission against the rookie brig is fairly easy for me in the basic cutter. The next level against the rookie snow, while staying in a basic cutter offers more challenges and if I screw up it can be touch and go but I can usually win because I know how repairs work and the cutter has an unlimited supply. I also know when to run. The next level even harder but with A LOT of patience being willing to sail off and repair, go back and do damage and keep repeating they are doable in the basic cutter.

But none of us want to stay in the basic cutter so we get into a pickle or brig as soon as we can. The new player probably doesn't have a good supply of repairs yet. A new player doesn't realize he probably doesn't need very many rig repairs in missions or how many repairs of any type he needs to carry. 5th and 6th rate missions can be really tough if you don't have a tanky ship.

My best advice for brand new players: before you sail anywhere get an explanation of repairs and looting. If the Basic Cutter which is available in your port is speed (fir, cedar, mahogany) take it and sail to another friendly port and look for a heavier wood such as oak, live oak, etc. Sell the "fast" cutter and buy the heavy one. You won't need the speed in those low missions.

Good luck!

Edited by Farrago

Thanks for the advice guys, yea, I am running open mag, I am going to change that. 

I have sailed away alittle to repair then came back, but I don't see any way of telling when my repair is finished, and I think the 10 minute repair cooldown is a bit long, maybe 5 to 7 minute cooldown would be better.

I finally just got a snow and thought, " NOW I should get through midshipman missions fine but now I am not allowed to do them. So what if a sailor walks right through a midshipman mission in a tier 6 ship for reduced gold and xp, but I was fine with that thought. But now I have to run 2nd Lt missions because of my ship being a snow.

I my humble opinion, it should not matter what level mission you run, with whatever ship you want, it is the sailor's "risk or reward" thing. The bigger the risk you take for a bigger payout or a lousy sailor like me just wanting to do beginner missions for lower rewards until I get real good, if that happens.

I just think that if the company wants a bigger customer base, some things should be easier, like sailing while in combat for example. (I suck at turning with the snow) LoL.

atleast I am honest. And why 2 snows against me in a 2nd Lt mission, it is the lowest level I can go into with my snow.

I guess I am going to have to risk wondering away from home port and try to find other nation traders and hit them.

One last thing. is there somewhere that says what counties are allies with other counties, or is it just attacking ANY nation ships are ok as long as it is not your nation?

P.S. I am on the PVE server. Thanks for your time everyone.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Viper2 said:

Thanks for the advice guys, yea, I am running open mag, I am going to change that. 

I have sailed away alittle to repair then came back, but I don't see any way of telling when my repair is finished, and I think the 10 minute repair cooldown is a bit long, maybe 5 to 7 minute cooldown would be better.

I finally just got a snow and thought, " NOW I should get through midshipman missions fine but now I am not allowed to do them. So what if a sailor walks right through a midshipman mission in a tier 6 ship for reduced gold and xp, but I was fine with that thought. But now I have to run 2nd Lt missions because of my ship being a snow.

I my humble opinion, it should not matter what level mission you run, with whatever ship you want, it is the sailor's "risk or reward" thing. The bigger the risk you take for a bigger payout or a lousy sailor like me just wanting to do beginner missions for lower rewards until I get real good, if that happens.

I just think that if the company wants a bigger customer base, some things should be easier, like sailing while in combat for example. (I suck at turning with the snow) LoL.

atleast I am honest. And why 2 snows against me in a 2nd Lt mission, it is the lowest level I can go into with my snow.

I guess I am going to have to risk wondering away from home port and try to find other nation traders and hit them.

One last thing. is there somewhere that says what counties are allies with other counties, or is it just attacking ANY nation ships are ok as long as it is not your nation?

I agree with your points, I know the pain as I was there not long ago, about 3-4 weeks ago, if I can do it you can do it as well. :) 

Make sure you use a live oak/white oak or wo/wo ship for missions. Also try to get elephant bow figure or planking book for 6-7 rates, basically it's recommended to have the armor hp/thickness and reload maxed out (+25%). Use carronades and get the carronade master, emergency repair perks. Also, get the fleet ship perk and learn how to use it, I would mostly just use it to demast and slow down the other ships while not impacting too much your exp gain. Please let me know if you have any questions!

On 10/16/2017 at 3:00 PM, Viper2 said:

On the PVE server it doesn't matter. Every AI target that is not in your nation is fair game: there are no alliances with robots.

Should you ever move over to the PVP servers (please do) then you may want to check with other members of your nation regarding any current alliances between your nation (or clan) and others.

Fair sails.