Game-Labs Forum

I don't understand why we have to tolerate an "Alt" buzzing around and feeding info to the enemy. Everyone knows that there are certain players that are CLEARLY Alt accounts for the sole purpose of undermining whatever action we have going on at the time. In the real world how long would this have been tolerated? It is my understanding that the Pirates don't have to put up with this nonsense because they are permitted to attack each other...right? If that is the case it puts everyone else who spent money on this game at a disadvantage. My solution is this, and mind you it may not be the best/only idea...just the one I have now.   Give the LEADERS of the TOP 3 CLANS of each nation the authority to vote amongst themselves and authorize a "Hit" on anyone deemed to be a spy. All 3 leaders would have to agree that this is necessary for the security of the nation. I'm sure someone much smarter than I am could work out the details. I just would like to see something done to address this.

• Like 2

• Then what is the point of having a Nation or even a Clan if you can't maintain it's integrity? And, we are not free to play as we wish because the pirates can take out anyone they choose including other pirates. No other nation's players can do that without losing their right to exist in that nation. Am I misinformed on this point? 
Edited by GoodTime
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GoodTime said:

And, we are not free to play as we wish because the pirates can take out anyone they choose including other pirates.

In the nation-selection-screen it clearly states that pirates are the ONLY ones able to attack each other - if you don't like that idea, don't join them

• Like 3

Alts can be a pain in the ass either as spies or competing for resources in your nation's waters but they have the right to exist. Not only did the player pay his money, flying a false flag did happen. However, there should be a mechanism where nations can police their waters. Give everyone green on green ability OUTSIDE the safe zones. That will still protect newbies and mission runners. If it causes a civil war so be it. Nations should have to work that out as well.

• Like 1

I completely agree that anyone who pays for this game has the right to play. My point though is this. A nation also has the right AND responsibility to protect itself. That's why it would have to be voted on to sanction a hit. If you want to be a spy that is fine. But you shouldn't be allowed to do so with NO inherent danger. I love this game and only bring it up because I think this would add to not take away from the gameplay and realism.

• Like 2

I have to be brief because I'm busy at work. I've studied this issue and have been turning a solution over in my head. Once a complaint has been made all clan leaders get together and on a 2/3 vote a warrant is issued. That would turn on a spy tag and he would be fair game to any in his nation. Possibly a bounty could be put on him. He should also be able to go to the clan leaders and clear his name in case of a mistake because there are legit reasons to have an alt account and they don't include spying.      

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

Alts can be a pain in the ass either as spies or competing for resources in your nation's waters but they have the right to exist. Not only did the player pay his money, flying a false flag did happen. However, there should be a mechanism where nations can police their waters. Give everyone green on green ability OUTSIDE the safe zones. That will still protect newbies and mission runners. If it causes a civil war so be it. Nations should have to work that out as well.

I agree with everything you've said here. At least this would give nations a tool to protect themselves.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EdWatchmaker said:

I have to be brief because I'm busy at work. I've studied this issue and have been turning a solution over in my head. Once a complaint has been made all clan leaders get together and on a 2/3 vote a warrant is issued. That would turn on a spy tag and he would be fair game to any in his nation. Possibly a bounty could be put on him. He should also be able to go to the clan leaders and clear his name in case of a mistake because there are legit reasons to have an alt account and they don't include spying.      

Very good points. The only thing I would suggest is instead of a Tag on the persons name maybe a "Warrants" screen where if you see someone who looks suspicious you could check the screen to see if his name is on there. This way the spies could remain somewhat anonymous to the unsuspecting or unskilled players. What do you think?

37 minutes ago, EdWatchmaker said:

I will add a bit. If you are in a clan your clan leader should be able to issue the warrant and turn on the spy tag without consulting anyone else. Right now all they can do is kick you from the clan.  

My thought on the 3 vote system is to prevent any personal vendettas as much as possible. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GoodTime said:

Very good points. The only thing I would suggest is instead of a Tag on the persons name maybe a "Warrants" screen where if you see someone who looks suspicious you could check the screen to see if his name is on there. This way the spies could remain somewhat anonymous to the unsuspecting or unskilled players. What do you think?

I like it a lot. A "Warrants/Bounties" screen would be great. It would add a nice new piece of content. Then they could be hunted and killed on sight. Great content for noobs and the unskilled within the safe zones, hunting the treasonous bums that give alts such a bad name. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GoodTime said:

My thought on the 3 vote system is to prevent any personal vendettas as much as possible. 

I totally agree. I don't want vendettas either and there has to be some sort of trial system. When it comes to clans though, it is insidious to have been infiltrated by a spy. As was the custom in this time period I think the commanding officer of the unit (clan) should be able to execute the spy. This would give clans a tool to deal with spies in their ranks. A protection for the accused would be his right to call the 3 clan leaders to hear his case and if the clan leader committed murder then he gets the kill on sight tag and the accused is exonerated.   

Yeah....yeah....thats all great......

Once found, tried, convicted and tagged and hit and shamed they can..... (drum roll........cymbak crash!)

Change their name and start again...............that will show them.

You pays your money you gets your game.

Alts are part of the game. Spys were real.

Live with it.

Far more important things to worry about.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jodgi said:

How do they deal with alts in any other game where alts are useful?

there's that web-MMO I used to play a couple of years ago where you had to build up your city / military and conquer other clans towns; alts would be very useful there - They made it so if you wanted to use the same IP twice, you had to apply for a shared IP thingy, and then were not allowed to do certain stuff, e.g. only directly trade to each other in a limited amount etc.
If you didnt apply for a shared connection, you'd get banned right away 

Edited by Liq

9 minutes ago, jodgi said:

But then family members playing together would get hit. Imagine strangers in a dorm, collective or any other co-living shared IP situation.

Well no, the family members can still play the game, and if they were playing just like another player they wouldnt just live for the existence of their other family member and trade everything to them - But rather play for themselves. Some trading would still be allowed, sure.

Exactly jodgi. Without an alt in another nation there is no other way for a family member or friend and I to have some fun together when we are at my house. Most of them think gaming is a stupid waste of time but they like this one for an hour or two when they are here. 

Captains, you cannot limit a player's ability in any way in the game just because they play from the same IP.  My son plays this game.  I paid the $40 for myself.  He paid the $40 for himself (from his allowance that I gave him, so basically I paid for it, lol).  We both play the game apart, and we both play the game together.  So are you telling me that one of us shouldn't have the right to play this game in its fullest?  Sorry, you are way off on that one.

Having said that, I feel like there might be something to be done about players who use alts just to grief others.  Such as an economic block.....which in and of itself isn't really wrong I think, but to do it with an alt account that's all he does, that's another story IMO.  I could be wrong there, some will agree, others will disagree.  So be it.

• Like 1