Game-Labs Forum

Compass-Card Points instead of Degreesº

This may be slightly pedantic, but as an avid naval historian and sailor I would LOVE to see the 32 points on a compass card in the UI, rather than the degreesº we have now.

Aside from just being purely aesthetic, it would help players accurately gauge how close to the wind their vessel can sail, accurately in determining any ship's sailing window, i.e. square-riggers can sail no closer than 6 points on the wind (roughly 68º), whereas fore-and-aft rigged vessels can sail up to four points to the wind. 

For those unfamiliar with the historical practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points_of_the_compass

There are 32 points round the compass card, with a point being roughly 11.25º, including the four cardinal points, N, S, E, W.

What do other players think? :)

• 3 weeks later...

i agree with Zakota on this purely for some nice to look at compass.

I do see your point Maturin but we should be using a compass point system for that feelgood factor, their is nothing at all wrong with placing degrees on the image too for practical reasons for that 25 degrees you mention.

It is of course easier to say hdg 25 degrees rather than North by NE and a 1/4 east which I believe is about as accurate as the compass point system can come.