Game-Labs Forum
Peter Goldman

Hunting in safe zones & reinforcements

1) Dragging by AI fleet (must be fixed asap)

2) Seal clubbing newbies that have no clue how to call reinforcements. Most new players have no idea that in order to activate a mouse they need to click CTRL. Lots of players in chats have been asking how to call reinforcements after getting killed.

3) Reinforcements should be only possible to be called during first 2-3 minutes of a fight. If a player decides to fight on his own, he shouldn't be able to suddenly change his mind after 10 mins or 30 mins when he starts losing the fight.

Totally agree with all three first off reinforcements should have less AI such as 1-2 PER player and be the same rate as the attacker. There should be a HUGE notification in the middle of the screen when they are attacked in a safe zone that shows where and how to use reinforcements. Players should get a maximum of 1-2 minutes to call reinforcements due to AI spawning very close to them and they can abuse this by lowering the opponents sails then calling reinforcements to sink the player. I am not certain if players get reinforcements if THEY attack someone in their safe zone and get AI but that would not be fair if people want to trade/pass through the territory which happens a lot.

I've seen some very tricky tactics of getting boarded and calling reinforcements lol, or players accepting duel/fight and when they start losing, they call reinforcements :rolleyes:

in my opinion safe zones might benefit from the following rules:

only the lowest 4 ranks in each nation get to call reinforcements (prevents the seal clubbing)

missions in safe zone areas will provide normal rewards for 4 lowest ranks

5th lowest rank = 50% rewards

6th lowest = 40%

7th - 30% 

and so on

the economy is getting out of whack already because as a pirate Curse, I can do 1st rate missions solo in the safe zone with no risk and easily harvest 1+  million gold/hour

the inflation for some items is spiraling out of control plus there is little/no incentive to risk my 1st rate outside of the reinforcement zones

Edited by ShroudedRecluse

2 hours ago, Lord Gud said:

Totally agree with all three first off reinforcements should have less AI such as 1-2 PER player and be the same rate as the attacker. There should be a HUGE notification in the middle of the screen when they are attacked in a safe zone that shows where and how to use reinforcements. Players should get a maximum of 1-2 minutes to call reinforcements due to AI spawning very close to them and they can abuse this by lowering the opponents sails then calling reinforcements to sink the player. I am not certain if players get reinforcements if THEY attack someone in their safe zone and get AI but that would not be fair if people want to trade/pass through the territory which happens a lot.

Even if in the safe zone

they won't have reinforcements if they attack first

they won't have reinforcements if they are jumped in a mission

they won't have reinforcements if they are jumped in a fight against AI

Basically reinfocements are available only if you tag them first in OS in the safe zone (which is the tipical scenario involving gank squads or trader gankers).

And that's why all this "problem" of the reinforcement seems to me very overrated.

Edited by victor

you can't jump into others missions/fleet missions (am not opposed to not being able to - however there is basically 100% immunity for skilled captains of high rank to just farm - high reward with no risk = bad game mechanic for a PvP server)

the mechanic for sucking players into a battle from targeting an AI fleet should be removed - it's the same level of dickery that was going on with basic cutters tagging in fleets etc

17 minutes ago, ShroudedRecluse said:

in my opinion safe zones might benefit from the following rules:

only the lowest 4 ranks in each nation get to call reinforcements (prevents the seal clubbing)

missions in safe zone areas will provide normal rewards for 4 lowest ranks

5th lowest rank = 50% rewards

6th lowest = 40%

7th - 30% 

and so on

the economy is getting out of whack already because as a pirate Curse, I can do 1st rate missions solo in the safe zone with no risk and easily harvest 1+  million gold/hour

the inflation for some items is spiraling out of control plus there is little/no incentive to risk my 1st rate outside of the reinforcement zones

Yes this  @admin 

54 minutes ago, ShroudedRecluse said:

you can't jump into others missions/fleet missions (am not opposed to not being able to - however there is basically 100% immunity for skilled captains of high rank to just farm - high reward with no risk = bad game mechanic for a PvP server)

the mechanic for sucking players into a battle from targeting an AI fleet should be removed - it's the same level of dickery that was going on with basic cutters tagging in fleets etc

It seems that we play different games, since in PVP EU - as far as I was told - there are at least three pirates that do it - jumping into missions - all days in safe waters of Jamaica.

Edited by victor

3 minutes ago, victor said:

It seems that we play different games, since in PVP EU - as far as I was told - there are at least three pirates that do it - jumping into missions - all days in safe waters of Jamaica.

must be - for me only swords for players doing  AI battles, Hostility Missions show up = anybody else's solo/fleet missions don't

(or you could have been told wrong, and it was AI fights they  jumped into)

7 minutes ago, ShroudedRecluse said:

must be - for me only swords for players doing  AI battles, Hostility Missions show up = anybody else's solo/fleet missions don't

(or you could have been told wrong, and it was AI fights they  jumped into)

Maybe I was told wrong.

But basically missions actually are AI battles. Could this explain the thing?

Can we let the tweaks be minimal.  Some nights I just want to jump on and do a first rate ( or any rate) mission or two, talk to my clannies and get to bed.

I paid quite a bit in time and effort to get this ship for port battles to lose it in some shitty gank by a bored griefer.

Why do people want things made easier to hunt in safe zones, if it becomes easier to hunt in safe zones its no longer is a safe zone.

People are just trying to find a meta where they can still club new players in the safe zones and get away with it.

KEEP SAFE ZONES SAFE (but give more encouragement for people to leave safe zones).

3 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Can we let the tweaks be minimal.  Some nights I just want to jump on and do a first rate ( or any rate) mission or two, talk to my clannies and get to bed.

I paid quite a bit in time and effort to get this ship for port battles to lose it in some shitty gank by a bored griefer.

And you, my friend, are exactly why the OW is just not any fun anymore and bereft of any people...  Why even sail to Port Battles anymore?

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

And you, my friend, are exactly why the OW is just not any fun anymore and bereft of any people...  Why even sail to Port Battles anymore?

No, there is little open world activity because the player numbers crashed in the gankfest era.  I am in the OW world all the time in traders, doing hostility, defense and battles.  But that does not mean I want to do it every night.  If there is no low risk play, I will do something else if I have limited time or just want to goof off.

Get the game back to 300+ a night and you will have your OW activity levels.

Reinforcement zones added (with there already being fleets and towers), missions earning so much money reducing traders on the open world, many OW hunters have left the game.  The PVErs and the port battle enthusiasts are unfortunately the majority left. Give hunters some love please. What reason do people like Pagan Pete that like to role play as trader hunters have to play?

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Reinforcement zones added (with there already being fleets and towers), missions earning so much money reducing traders on the open world, many OW hunters have left the game.  The PVErs and the port battle enthusiasts are unfortunately the majority left. Give hunters some love please. What reason do people like Pagan Pete that like to role play as trader hunters have to play?

Taxes made old trading a waste.  New pricing fixed that.  Missions are too profitable now.

All tweaks that don't require eliminating reinforcement zones.

2 hours ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Why not hunting warships, that can shoot back?

To begin with. Traderoutes pretty much all lead outside the Safezone if you want to have anything thats more profitable than Basic Cutter Missions.

Only thing changed. Is that now Trader Hunters actually need to hunt a Trader.

And cant just Sit there at the Enemy Capitol and block off the Main Port that Buys Trade Goods.

To begin that. That was one of the Jokes before they added safezones.

Without the Safezones it was easier to drive into an Enemy Port and Buy the Trade Goods there. Than it was to Deliver the Goods to your own damn Capitol cause it was constantly under Siege by some Ganking Squad....