Game-Labs Forum

Server merge until release

8 minutes ago, Archaos said:

This does not work because if you move you cannot play a major part of the game due to the restricted times for port battles. So people should just stop making that suggestion to people on Global server.

I'm not suggesting Global players should move.    I was making the point that the population will not increase very much with a merge.   Specifically if players on Global want to see an increase to the numbers they can move to Euro.  If players on Euro want to see a big increase ... they are out of luck.

Play where you prefer.   I play on both and appreciate the choice.

Just now, Macjimm said:

I'm not suggesting Global players should move.    I was making the point that the population will not increase very much with a merge.   Specifically if players on Global want to see an increase to the numbers they can move to Euro.  If players on Euro want to see a big increase ... they are out of luck.

Play where you prefer.   I play on both and appreciate the choice.

This is probably why Global is seeing an increase in PvP, people are using it as a PvP server and doing RvR on EU.

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

This is probably why Global is seeing an increase in PvP, people are using it as a PvP server and doing RvR on EU.

It's kind of funny if people are using the EU server to do the thing that is restricted there (RvR), while using the Global server to do the thing that is no different if you do it on EU or Global server (PvP).

• Like 1

Just now, Anolytic said:

It's kind of funny if people are using the EU server to do the thing that is restricted there (RvR), while using the Global server to do the thing that is no different if you do it on EU or Global server (PvP).

My response was to what Macjimm said, I do not actually think it is true. I do not think you are getting anyone who's primetime is not EU doing RvR on the EU server, but I do think if you implemented some changes on Global and made it easy to transfer you would actually get some movement to Global. The thing is this would only have the effect of sharing existing population more evenly between the servers and many that fought for EU port battle timers do not want to see this as it would reduce numbers on the EU server.

12 minutes ago, Archaos said:

My response was to what Macjimm said, I do not actually think it is true. I do not think you are getting anyone who's primetime is not EU doing RvR on the EU server, but I do think if you implemented some changes on Global and made it easy to transfer you would actually get some movement to Global. The thing is this would only have the effect of sharing existing population more evenly between the servers and many that fought for EU port battle timers do not want to see this as it would reduce numbers on the EU server.

Well.. I think that is wishfull thinking.. Global was a failed idea and I propose building a wall around it to contain the madness within..

9 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

Well.. I think that is wishfull thinking.. Global was a failed idea and I propose building a wall around it to contain the madness within..

You only say this because things worked out for you and you got what you wanted and the way the server split happened most people remained on what was PVP1 server. If you are so confident that the EU server is a success then you would have no issue with them implementing changes on the Global server to allow defender port battle timers and give people the opportunity to transfer, or are you not so confident that you will not get an exodus to a better system?

Just now, Archaos said:

You only say this because things worked out for you and you got what you wanted and the way the server split happened most people remained on what was PVP1 server. If you are so confident that the EU server is a success then you would have no issue with them implementing changes on the Global server to allow defender port battle timers and give people the opportunity to transfer, or are you not so confident that you will not get an exodus to a better system?

I have no issues in changes to the global server. My problem is the constant barraging about a merge.. And btw I don't believe that the start of the global server is the explanation for anything.. 

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

I have no issues in changes to the global server. My problem is the constant barraging about a merge.. And btw I don't believe that the start of the global server is the explanation for anything.. 

Then why did you respond to my post which mentioned nothing about a merge or changes to EU server.

1 minute ago, Archaos said:

Then why did you respond to my post which mentioned nothing about a merge or changes to EU server.

Just the notion that we would be sharing existing populations.. I don't think we will.. Any changes to global will not affect player distribution since it's the very idea of globalism that is flawed..

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

Just the notion that we would be sharing existing populations.. I don't think we will.. Any changes to global will not affect player distribution since it's the very idea of globalism that is flawed..

Then you have nothing to fear if they make a change to Global, either way it makes no difference to the current total population of the game.

Just now, Archaos said:

Then you have nothing to fear if they make a change to Global, either way it makes no difference to the current total population of the game.

You never know.. It could be some of the fallen faithfulls will return to the game..

Just now, Bearwall said:

You never know.. It could be some of the fallen faithfulls will return to the game..

Return to the game if what? they merge servers? if they make changes to Global servers? 

The three options so far in this thread are merge, remain the same or change Global, if more people were to return to the game because of change it would either be due to a merge or change to Global else why have they not returned already?

Just now, Bearwall said:

You could crap in one hand and wait for these faithfuls to return for the other.

Which will fill up faster?

And you all have the nerve to call me a troll.

Troller_2abf99_2107104.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amplify said:

the reason why these posts keep coming up is that the devs don't listen but maybe if people make a topic they do so i would like to tell people who want the servers merged to keep making topics if that is what they want

2 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Devs have listened plenty, and also responded.  They said no.  Listening is not equivalent to granting your wish like a genie, it is hearing the arguments, evaluating, and then making a decision.  The decision was no, but you just haven't listened to the answer.

Imagen relacionada

I am in favor of a Merge, but ports would NEED Defense time windows.

Time windows and Merge, boom you have a solution.

Top it off with BR limits on PBs, clan aliances, and these 3 new nations. I really don't see what's wrong with this.

Correct if I'm wrong, but why did we all hate the Port time windows? I hello kittying loved those things, being able to get an attacker to attack in MY (and my group's) Primetime so that I can play the game on my time AND sleep soundly? Count me in dude.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

It actually was not tried previously.   The previous server version, before Global and EU, there was a limited window of attack.  It locked out most of the central and western North American/South American playerbase.  It also locked out most of the early PacRim players. 

So the half assed attempt at global by the ADMIN was an insult if not a joke at best.

Yah what did they take like 4 months to fix the port battle lock timers after they did the EU/GLOBAL thing.  We where locked out of port battles in our own prime time for freaking 4+ MONTHS cause they couldn't fix the server prot battle timers which took like one little hot fix to final correct.   All they had to do was move the no port battle window over 4 hours to cover the actual maintenance down time and not half the actual game prime times.  Every time they do stuff I hate to say they half ass it.  They should of did a complete wipe on both servers including clan tags and names of your chars so you had to come back and make actual new chars on the server of choice.

I would love to see all the folks that don't want to play in a RvR time restriction to just make a char and come over to GLOBAL and play some.  Don't come over and be dicks and hunt newbs and such, actually come over and be  a part of the game.  We might just find out we have a bigger population than we think.

Now what I want to know is Devs said 50% of there sales of the game was North America, than why isn't 50% of the player base from there?  They are loosing players and not figuing out why they can't keep that player base.  Maybe cause there main server only caters to EU and folks want to play every part of the game on the server with most players. I picked EU server when I started simply cause of the number of players on it.  Than I found that it's very anti against none EU players in some nations and switched to the US based server over a year and half a go and haven't looked back. I still keep a pirate over there that I had since day one and never let folks know it's me just for solo hunting one my bored days when it's slow.  

Another prime example they are EU bias.  Why are w we getting three new nations that had nothing to do with this region during that time of the game is set?   Instead shouldn't we be getting some proper pirate mechanics instead?   Adding more nations won't work.  Hell they should drop Swedes and Danes to be honest since they had little influence in this time.   They have to many nations as is, you want to have more players in each nation you don't  add more nations and not EU nations that had nothing to do with the region.  You drop it down to a fewer nations.  POTBS had only 3 Nations and Pirates for a reason.   The three core was Brits, French, Spain.   They where the power players of the area, but I see no problems with tossing in US and DUTCH since most of the sales was us and well a good part of the game land was own by that very country in the in game time period.    These are things they should be doing to fix the game instead of adding new game mechanics that prob won't stick around.  Fix what you got not add more stupid crap.

They should never had three servers from the start.  They should of had only one server and that is it (well maybe the testbed to roll out pre-patches to test).   I never been in a game that was alpha stage and had a bunch of servers.  They almost all had two servers if just one.  A pre-test server and the one they rolled out for ever one to test (main).  It's a waist of resources to have 4-5 servers going until release.

• Like 3

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22954-norfolk’s-three-steps-to-heaven-or-hell…/

I was always an advocate of the one server universe. Realistically this won't happen anytime soon. However, I had a change of heart for the short term in the above thread. We as a community due to such a long alpha period makes us more set in our ways unwilling to "Give n Take...". Its not PvP EU vs PvP Global and yet that's all I hear. We need to re-think and become open to more ideas than just our own... Using the servers as STEPs may help solve a lot of issues if people are willing to just look at it...

44 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

They should never had three servers from the start.  They should of had only one server and that is it (well maybe the testbed to roll out pre-patches to test).   I never been in a game that was alpha stage and had a bunch of servers.  They almost all had two servers if just one.  A pre-test server and the one they rolled out for ever one to test (main).  It's a waist of resources to have 4-5 servers going until release.

Tex there was way too much players for one server . The queues were large. Took me over an hour to enter the game. The plan was to have more than one pvp server on EA release. All players ware against it , so devs left it with one , and boom total break down. After that they opened more severs , i think we had 3 pvp servers, correct me if i am wrong  and we ended up with 2.

Just for the record , i don't think the devs are EU-bias. Hell you have a lot of germans , british ppl in the game also but it really doesn't matter. It didn't work , we all kept bitching at each other cause of pb-window. The only thing they could do is split it . Now i do think they should've done a total wipe so everyone could just start out from the beginning. But they chose differently. That's the only thing i think they could've done better.

Edited by BoomBox

Just now, BoomBox said:

Tex there was way too much players for one server . The queues were large. Took me over an hour to enter the game. The plan was to have more than one pvp server on EA release. All players ware against it , so devs left it with one , and boom total break down. After that they opened more severs , i think we had 3 pvp servers, correct me if i am wrong  and we ended up with 2.

Just for the record , i don't think the devs are EU-bias. Hell you have a lot of germans , british ppl in the game also but it really doesn't matter. It didn't work , we all kept bitching at each other cause of pb-window. The only thing they could do is split it . Now i do think they should've done a total wipe so everyone could just start out from the beginning. But they chose differently. That's the only thing i think they could've done better.

The queues were long due to poor login code management.   Simple as that.

When you look at the fact the ADMIN stated that over 50% of the game sales were to North American customers.   That when compared to the fact that there are less than 40% of the current playerbase being from North America... you have to ask, why did you lose over 10% of your playerbase from one region?  What was the cause of this?  How can I change it to improve my retention in that region? 

If your answer is, "Nothing!  I will add more EU based nations and restrict those North Americans to one crappy server"  Well then you are doomed to fail.  

It is a good thing Gamelabs is a EU based company because if they were American they would have been sued till they shutdown by now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

The queues were long due to poor login code management.   Simple as that.

When you look at the fact the ADMIN stated that over 50% of the game sales were to North American customers.   That when compared to the fact that there are less than 40% of the current playerbase being from North America... you have to ask, why did you lose over 10% of your playerbase from one region?  What was the cause of this?  How can I change it to improve my retention in that region? 

If your answer is, "Nothing!  I will add more EU based nations and restrict those North Americans to one crappy server"  Well then you are doomed to fail.  

It is a good thing Gamelabs is a EU based company because if they were American they would have been sued till they shutdown by now.

ok i had no idea , my info was a different one. but to be honest i don't think it makes a big difference cause if you look at the forums , you have north american players as well as european players discussing the same stuff and often having the same opinion. so i really don't think there is a difference here and i don't think gamelabs treats any group of player better than the other. the old timers can correct me if i am wrong but isn't that y ,they put the US in the game ? I read up a lot on the forums back then but didn't play actively , POTBS had me hooked back then.

concerning server queues , i am no programming expert but i think if they could've done it other wise , they would have. as far as i remember the max server pop was 2500 , yeah we didn't have kicks do to inactivity back then but the server was full.

The player base will not split too much with new nations. i mean the north americans didnt all join the US and i don't think all german players will join preussen. I sure won't , i'll stick with the US.

24 minutes ago, BoomBox said:

At that time it made since to split the servers.   That was when I switched from PvP1 to PvP2.  I was getting 10 min ques also and said screw this. That and was getting tired of getting ganked by 6-8 ships ever time I left ports cause it was over populated.  That number of players was to many for one server, but we only have a fraction of those numbers total now a days so there is no reason to have 3 servers.  Also remember how long EU Mirror servered lasted?  The numbers dropped big time and they merged them back into each other......notice that...>MERGED IT BACK TOGETHER CAUSE OF LOW POP<   They done it once they can do it again.  

• Like 1

Geeze, at this point neither a merge nor keeping 3 servers will "save the game". Only continuing and refining improvements will. For now, keep the current server setup and let the future decide.

Looking in to my (optimistic) crystal ball:

1) Devs finally hit a home run and game becomes popular.

2) Population is so great that not only do we not need PB windows, we need to expand the map so that there is more space to play.

THIS would be the ultimate definition of game success: I choose to sail in the Dutch East Indies fleet right now. In a few months my ships may participate in our attempt to conquer the Greek isles.

• Like 1