Game-Labs Forum

Server merge until release

On 3.8.2017 at 11:43 AM, Tiedemann said:

We have tried this before and last time it killed of the legendary 2500+ player base. So stop fooling your self.

Back when we where fighting over single ports instead of regions, we had Lord Protector and defence timers we could set our self. The British nation set most of their ports defensive timers at Aussie/US prime time. They did this "to ensure the Aussies and US time zone players game content". Then they gave 1 or some times even 2 ports EU prime time defense timers. so they knew where to expect attacks during the EU prime time. The British was the largest nation by a huge margin back then so the zerg screening was real! So this was starving the RvR players in other nations from game content. It forced EU time zone players to attack the British during aussie/US prime. Do you think the US/Aussie players showed up to defend the British ports!?! No, empty PB in the middle of the night all over the map.. Then during the EU prime time the British would use shot gun attack to take back ports. Attacking 3-5 ports. If we defended somewhere, they entered with 1 or 2 ships to spot, then they split up the rest of their fleet covering and winning all the undefended pbs. That way the could take back more ports during the day, than they lost during the night. This as a winning strategy no doubt, but at the cost of the healthy player base.. Because they where just denying the rest of us content.

Then the regional pbs where implemented to help remedy the situation. Of course by then the US nation (you guys mostly) had understood what kind of damage their skeleton crew could achieve. So in the end the US nation held the entire EU player base hostage by harassing the server with the night flips. Killing off even more of the EU player base. We warned you guys that if you continued the night flip you would force a server split. We told you that we do not need your player base at all to survive. We knew the global would not work with the Asians and the US night/day flipping each other into oblivion. You guys made this happen all on you own,  now deal with it on you own!

• Like 3

For anyone who wants to play on a unified, no time-restricted server, there's the Global server waiting for you. Players vote with their feet. What devs really need to do is make a one time, limited option to sync all your assets and XP from Global to EU or from EU to Global. To correct the mistakes of the implementation of global.

I would play on EU even if there were 150 players in my primetime, and I wouldn't change to Global if there were 800.

@Jon Snow lets go Thanks. @Tiedemanns post should be pinned. The reason why these topics keep popping up is that every time the discussion is lost, the subject is buried for a week before a new topic is created rehashing the same arguments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amplify said:

the reason why these posts keep coming up is that the devs don't listen but maybe if people make a topic they do so i would like to tell people who want the servers merged to keep making topics if that is what they want

Devs have listened plenty, and also responded.  They said no.  Listening is not equivalent to granting your wish like a genie, it is hearing the arguments, evaluating, and then making a decision.  The decision was no, but you just haven't listened to the answer.

• Like 2

This thread will probably go as expected.  Despite the game basically going dead several times now in the past for want of more players.... the same closed minded EU folks still think an already small and dying game needs to have 3 servers to protect their fragile ecosystems.

PVP is dead on EU.  RVR is dead on global. Time to merge the 2 player bases, introduced clan selected port timers  and have a real game. 

#merge

Edited by Christendom

20 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:
On 8/3/2017 at 5:43 AM, Tiedemann said:

We have tried this before and last time it killed of the legendary 2500+ player base. So stop fooling your self.

Back when we where fighting over single ports instead of regions, we had Lord Protector and defence timers we could set our self. The British nation set most of their ports defensive timers at Aussie/US prime time. They did this "to ensure the Aussies and US time zone players game content". Then they gave 1 or some times even 2 ports EU prime time defense timers. so they knew where to expect attacks during the EU prime time. The British was the largest nation by a huge margin back then so the zerg screening was real! So this was starving the RvR players in other nations from game content. It forced EU time zone players to attack the British during aussie/US prime. Do you think the US/Aussie players showed up to defend the British ports!?! No, empty PB in the middle of the night all over the map.. Then during the EU prime time the British would use shot gun attack to take back ports. Attacking 3-5 ports. If we defended somewhere, they entered with 1 or 2 ships to spot, then they split up the rest of their fleet covering and winning all the undefended pbs. That way the could take back more ports during the day, than they lost during the night. This as a winning strategy no doubt, but at the cost of the healthy player base.. Because they where just denying the rest of us content.

Then the regional pbs where implemented to help remedy the situation. Of course by then the US nation (you guys mostly) had understood what kind of damage their skeleton crew could achieve. So in the end the US nation held the entire EU player base hostage by harassing the server with the night flips. Killing off even more of the EU player base. We warned you guys that if you continued the night flip you would force a server split. We told you that we do not need your player base at all to survive. We knew the global would not work with the Asians and the US night/day flipping each other into oblivion. You guys made this happen all on you own,  now deal with it on you own!

It actually was not tried previously.   The previous server version, before Global and EU, there was a limited window of attack.  It locked out most of the central and western North American/South American playerbase.  It also locked out most of the early PacRim players. 

So the half assed attempt at global by the ADMIN was an insult if not a joke at best.

8 minutes ago, amplify said:

the reason why these posts keep coming up is that the devs don't listen but maybe if people make a topic they do so i would like to tell people who want the servers merged to keep making topics if that is what they want

3 minutes ago, Hodo said:

It actually was not tried previously.   The previous server version, before Global and EU, there was a limited window of attack.  It locked out most of the central and western North American/South American playerbase.  It also locked out most of the early PacRim players. 

So the half assed attempt at global by the ADMIN was an insult if not a joke at best.

See, Id like to see more players too. But only if its enjoyable for all. So how about you bring some ideas how it could work out for everyone?

6 minutes ago, Christendom said:

PVP is dead on EU.  RVR is dead on global. Time to merge the 2 player bases, introduced clan selected port timers  and have a real game. 

#merge

And what does this change compared to the shitty situation with port timers which we tested already?

3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Devs have listened plenty, and also responded.  They said no.  Listening is not equivalent to granting your wish like a genie, it is hearing the arguments, evaluating, and then making a decision.  The decision was no, but you just haven't listened to the answer.

Amplify is just taking a note from the ADMIN on listening.

• Like 1

Just now, Jon Snow lets go said:

See, Id like to see more players too. But only if its enjoyable for all. So how about you bring some ideas how it could work out for everyone?

And what does this change compared to the shitty situation with port timers which we tested already?

There has been ideas thrown out.  Several in fact.  Some of them actually pretty good and functional.  

Like...

-Bring back port timers set by the defender.  

-Implement raid system.

-Bring back flag capture mechanic.

These are just a few.

Merging won't add a significant number of players ... AND some players will quit because they are forced to play on a server that they dislike.

The PvP populations are like a weird teeter totter with one side that doesn't go up very high.  When Euro is highest Global is lowest.   When Global is highest Euro is lowest.  Combining them at any time will just not make much difference to the grand total.

If you are using Global and want to see a big increase just move to Euro.  If you are using Euro and want a big boost to the population you will have to wait till the game is released.

116-512.png

5 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Like...

-Bring back port timers set by the defender.  

This? Really? If it did not work back in the days why should it work now?

15 minutes ago, Christendom said:

This thread will probably go as expected.  Despite the game basically going dead several times now in the past for want of more players.... the same closed minded EU folks still think an already small and dying game needs to have 3 servers to protect their fragile ecosystems.

#merge

Please, just stop telling what is dead or not in our server. Think about yours, that is dead enough!

PVP is not dead at all on EU. Come here and sail around tumbado or great corn or even around KPR and you'll know what I'm talking about. 

So EU folks are not closed minded, simply we just are not so idiot that we will allow the interests of a vocal minority of players of another server to spoil our gameplay in our server.

Edited by victor

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

If memory serves, population numbers were higher back in the lord protector days.  Consistently higher.  Now we have spikes on the days with PBs and then everyone logs off.  It wasn’t until fine woods and hostility were introduced that we started to see a steep population decline to our current numbers. 

Port timers were not tested when the entire population was on one server.  Coverage would be drastically different if his were to go into effect today.

The game is also in a different place than the last time timers were tested.  The variables are different and the solution likely would be.  

Regardless of your opinion on timers, I think everyone can agree that the game did not receive the same bump it did after the great wipe and it’s already starting to slow down.  We need more players and until the game goes live and we start getting an influx of new players, a merge is the only way to get them. 

Remember, the game is still in testing.  If one server doesn’t test well, we can split up at launch.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Batman said:

How can I help?

I have never had so much fun in a server merge thread, this is great!  :D

My 2 cents on this: if EU and Global were merged it wouldn't bother me much, because I am currently not interested in the RVR, and that's mostly what we now have.  But I am still against the merge simply because it would reduce my play options.  I have characters on all 3 servers, and like the freedom it offers to change my playing experience at will, since they are all different flavors.  Why reduce the options from 3 to 2, since we all know player numbers won't be recovered with this merge, whether anyone admits it now or not.

5 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

If you are using Global and want to see a big increase just move to Euro.

This does not work because if you move you cannot play a major part of the game due to the restricted times for port battles. So people should just stop making that suggestion to people on Global server.

To tell the truth I think they should implement port defender time slots on the Global server where a port defender can set a 4 hour time slot in which they can be attacked, couple this with an ability to transfer assets and xp from another server and I am sure you would see the Global population grow. I bet there are many people on the EU server who cannot partake in port battles that would make the move to Global if they were offered this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

I would support with merge. Night hunting is dull, 60-80 players online during the night. Just each clan sets PB timers and we have 4-5 timers to cover whole time zones. (not just 2h windows). Night flips issue fixed, gg wp and as result more PvP 24/7.

Didn't you read the OP? - A servermerge wouldn't change that.. The hunting in primetime would just become as dull as the other..

First id like to say, Its a shame that we are divided to different play rooms.

I understand the reasons for it (even though personally i felt winning or losing ports was not a biggie, more fight for everyone)

But with mechanics of being allowing defender to choose defence window combined with the chance to reduce portbattle sizes, there might be a mechanic to be found where we can all play on same server.

although i cant figure out exactly what it would be, i remain hopeful

maybe somebody smarter can come up with concrete ideas?