Game-Labs Forum

Fighting with stones

Hi,

i remember that during the american civil war there was a moment where somewhere 2 opposing units ran out of ammo and started hurling stones at each other, i think i remember a painting of it and they were separated only by a few meters, like a slightly elevated railroad maybe? But i cannot find either the incident or the painting.

Does anyone have any idea what i am talking about or was i just drunk?

Thank you.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Yes, that's the incident in question indeed, i have not found the painting yet, it was more modern similar to this one:

457183_311537818920959_1965061960_o-jpg.

Anyhow i'll post it if i find it now that i can narrow it down. Both sides were seen throwing the rocks on it not just the grays.

"The Diehards" by Don Troiani depicts the men of the Second Louisiana Brigade commanded by Col. Leroy A. Stafford fighting with stones in the deep cut. The brigade consisted of the 1st, 2nd, 9th, 10th, and 15th Louisiana Infantry Regiments. Beginning to run low on ammunition, Capt. Thos. Rice of Co. E, "Montgomery Guards," 1st Louisiana Infantry, recalling an incident at Sevastopol during his experience in the Crimea, quickly told his men, "Boys, do as we did at Sebastopol!" picking up a rock and throwing it at the Federals stuck on the other side of the embankment. Lt. Col. Michael Nolan of the 9th Louisiana shouted to his men to do the same. The idea caught on and eventually the whole line began to pick up rocks and hurl them over the embankment.

Thank you!

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard
  • Like 3