Game-Labs Forum

Tournament - Y or N?

Liq

Tournament - Y / N?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you generally be interested and willing to participate in a playermade tournament?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What size do you think the battles should be?

• 1v1
    • 2v2
    • 3v3
    • Other - Comment below
  3. 3. In what general area do you think the battles should be held?

• La Tortue
    • La Navasse
    • La Mona
    • Aves
    • Other - Comment below
  4. 4. At what timeslot do you think the battles should take place, in servertime?

• Other - Comment below
  5. 5. Do you think there should be a prize money, resulted from participation fees?

• No
    • Yes - 500k participation fee
    • Yes - 1M participation fee
    • Other - Comment below

After watching the recent duel between @Peter Goldman and @White Squal I remembered how entertaining it could be to watch others play live. It gave me the idea of setting up a tournament - To my knowledge there has been one proper tournament so far, I know @Christendom wanted to organize something similar for the Global server but not sure if it ever actually happened. I think it might have lacked participation, that's why I am making this poll - I think playermade regular tournaments could be a great content alternative.

So here are the questions:

• Would you generally be interested and willing to participate in a playermade tournament?
  • What size do you think the battles should be? (1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3 / ...)
  • In what general area do you think the battles should be held? (La Tortue / La Navasse / La Mona / Other)
  • At what timeslot do you think the battles should take place, in servertime? (17.00 / 17.30 / 18.00 / 18.30 / 19.00 / 19.30 / 20.00 / 20.30 / 21.00 / 21.30 / 22.00 / 22.30 / 23.00)
  • Do you think there should be a prize money, resulted from participation fees? (No / Yes - 500k Participation fee / Yes - 1M Participation fee / Other)

Maybe we can even have some special prize items provided from @admin's side, given the winners of the first Tournament also received (at that time) super rare Blue Prints and Ships.

Please provide some feedback on wheter or not you are generally interested in a tournament, and how you would like it to look like.
Edited by Liq
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rigge1988 said:

This feels like content for NA Legends.

Just now, Vizzini said:

go test Legends

For Now, Legends is 1) only up on weekends, 2) has an average player population online of about 3 and 3) there is no Custom Battle lobby planned from what I can tell - And gladly this Naval Action game is a sandbox, allowing players to be free and create content themselves :)
Please, if you are not interested in it, noone is forcing you to take part.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Liq said:

For Now, Legends is 1) only up on weekends, 2) has an average player population online of about 3 and 3) there is no Custom Battle lobby planned from what I can tell - And gladly this Naval Action game is a sandbox, allowing players to be free and create content themselves :)
Please, if you are not interested in it, noone is forcing you to take part.

Yes I realise the last part and voted as such, legends testing at the weekend sounds great, dragging players away from the ow sandbox game for a pre organised pvp fest  ... not so much

Great suggestion Liq! 

Suggestion: Assuming something like  3v3 happens, I'm guessing a set BR for the team will be the way to go. Unless the devs re-balance things first, I think a player made BR list should be created to better estimate ship strength. 

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

Yes I realise the last part and voted as such, legends testing at the weekend sounds great, dragging players away from the ow sandbox game for a pre organised pvp fest  ... not so much

I see where you are coming from but I really doubt a torunament is going to have any serious impact on OW traffic. Players are already now meeting for organised battles to have SOME fun, because finding random hostile targets right now has become tedious.

8 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Suggestion: Assuming something like  3v3 happens, I'm guessing a set BR for the team will be the way to go. Unless the devs re-balance things first, I think a player made BR list should be created to better estimate ship strength. 

Good point. Will have to work on that.

For now I'll let this thread open for a while to get a general overview whether or not players are interested. If it seems like it's worth setting up all the rules / match times / whatnot, I'll open up an application thread and post the rules, which we could discuss beforehand aswell, there.

15 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

Great suggestion Liq! 

Wasa only.Problem solved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cortez said:

Wasa only.Problem solved.

Haha but that's no fun. Last time the 3v3 tournament happened, people tried and tested lots of different combinations. Eventually a meta was found, but we have more ships now. 

3 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Format that was going to be used for a Global tournament, unfortunately the game died before it could kick off.

Apologies, for some reason I had koltes in my memory when it was you who set it up.

Don't listen to the naysayers, the idea has been popular.  Only short on people willing to organize such events, since it takes time.

Entry fees in the vote above are too high IMO.

2 vs 2 battles: 1 4th rate and 1 5th rate

3 vs 3 battles: 2 4th rates and 1 5th rate (or the other way around maybe)

Bigger battles are too much IMO.

I would be for a 1 vs. 1 if there were a trustworthy bookie of sorts taking bets from the community and both participants had a decent player reputation.  But the 1 vs. 1 with community bets could be open for exploits/farming.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 2

I play on Global so I can't participate, but I think it is a really great idea.

When I was really new to Naval Action, I heard about a tournament (I think it was in October of last year). I caught a glimpse of one of the matches and not only was it fun to watch, but it got me even more interested in the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

I play on Global so I can't participate, but I think it is a really great idea.

When I was really new to Naval Action, I heard about a tournament (I think it was in October of last year). I caught a glimpse of one of the matches and not only was it fun to watch, but it got me even more interested in the game.

Depending on how things go, I might be able to offer 5th to 4th rates around the La Tortue area for those wo don't have any assets on this server - Not 100% sure yet though

I'll leave this thread open until tomorrow or Thursday evening, and then open up an application thread, and start working on the final rules with the participants.

A hurdle will be, once the group stage is set up, scheduling all battles so it works out for both teams. I was thinking to tendencially give more time for both teams to agree on a battle date.

• Like 2