Game-Labs Forum

Poll: Port battle limitations - formerly known as port battle diversity.

Introduce Battle Rating limitations to port battles allowing clans bring diverse fleets within a total Battle Rating (BR) limit  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Introduce Battle Rating limitations to port battles allowing clans bring diverse fleets within a total Battle Rating (BR) limit

• Yes - We want diverse fleets in port battles
    • No - full freedom should remain
  2. 2. Allow port owners reduce the BR limit (for money) in the ports they own - creating smaller port battles giving some space to small clans/nations

• Yes - allow clans to decide on the total size of the port battle
    • No - full freedom should remain in game (let small clans die out)

10 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

From the introduction of the port battles captains were requesting us to create systems increasing the ship diversity in the port battles. 

With the last patch (clan based port battles) we can implement the simple system that could promote such limitation by design.

BR Limit
How it could work - description

1. Every port will have the BR limit clearly indicated in the port information window: Port Battle BR Limit
  2. Port battle participants will have to decide which ships they bring to the port battle to fill the BR Limit
  3. When port battle will start it will only allow entry until the BR limit is reached. 
  4. Once BR limit is reached - port battle entry will close for the side that reached the BR limit

Example In numbers

1. Lets assume the port battle limit is 2500
  2. This means that captains will no longer be able to bring any ships they want - they will have to compose the fleet that maximize their chances to win
    1. Options
      1. 3 Wasas, 3 constitutions, 4 Agamemnons (all 250 BR)
      2. 4 Santisimas, 2 wasas, 1 brig
      3. Other options

Clan influence of the BR limit

In addition to the limits we can allow clans to reduce the standard limits increasing maintenance costs for the city, but not lower than 50%. 

For example: In the port of 2500 BR the clan can decide to lower the limit by 50% to 1250 BR, giving them extra options to defend if their number is small. They only will be able to do it if there is no port battle set up for the port.

Lets discuss the options and vote on them

Getting straight.

Lowering PB numbers or BR down will not make smaller clans more glorious or valuable. There is always a screening problem, which is not considered atm.

I still think, the whole PB mechanic needs to change BEFORE this starts in the game. Therefore..

People which enter PB, would like to fight i guess, not chasing eachother around the circles. Sunken ships hurt sometimes more, then taken ports. :)(which are not very profitable atm.)

1 hour ago, Cortez said:

People which enter PB, would like to fight i guess, not chasing eachother around the circles. Sunken ships hurt sometimes more, then taken ports. :)(which are not very profitable atm.)

Ports, like IRL houses, are infernal money gobbling black holes that consume money and broken dreams for breakfast.  :/

11 hours ago, Spitfire83 said:

So does that mean we go back to ships bought from shop fire ship fitting all frigates targets players hard earnt 1st rates you won't win the port but you've trolled the enemy and let's be honest if enemy has full 25 and you have 10 players your probably going to lose so why not troll your enemy ( happened  before and leads to people crying on forum)

Honestly a Fire ship fit should only have a crew just big enough to run sailing enough to acyually sail and nothing more... and until you lock the rudder on copurse the chance of catching fire should be normal 

I would prefer to see BR spread changed.  Instead of being

Shallows:  50-75

Deep water:  75-250 

SOL:75-650

Maybe make some ports something like 75-210, or 75-300.  Make the caps an zone limit the BR that can be brought in. Though I can see some small none important ports being 12 vs 12 instead of 25 vs 25.  They need to be a decent limit and the maps are still big for anything smaller.  Maybe some smaller ports can be 12 vs 12 and have only one circle system instead of the the three maybe?    Those ports will have more of a king of the circle rule where you have to win the circle control or sink them all.

Thank you for considering this @admin!

This would bring a whole new depth to port battles, much more strategy and planning. That´s fantastic!

And about being able to lower to BR rating of a port, I´m conflicted. If you have a diverse BR limit for ports, I don't think this reduction is required. Small clans will have to grab ports that they can defend, ports with a lower BR limit.

Idea is good, Problem with the proposed implementation will be that people will calculate the perfect br-ship combination for maximum of firepower and durabillity and we will have different ships in the battle itself but it will be always the same combination.

If you stay with this idea maybe give the possibility for the clans to split the br like port allows 2500 clan decide 500 is reserverd for 6th rate 1k for 1st, 500 for 4th, and the rest for 5th or so. I guess this could also help smaller nations with 40 player in theory but not everyone can man a 4th-1st rate because of his rank, in that case they can sail with smaller ships and because the pb is not limited to 25 ships be usefull in some way.

16 hours ago, Jœrnson said:

I can already hear the moaning of people who wants to sail a 1st rate in pb but are forced to sail a Navy Brig instead cause others already sailing the few 1st rates.

I know players who don't participate in pb cause they need to sail a big ship. They wanna sail smaller and more agile ships. But that is more a problem of organising a pb than a game mechanic problem

Mixed fleet, sure, let's try it, but most of it depends on the BR limit imposed and the BR balancing (which, to be fair, isn't great, but hasn't mattered much until this change). If it leads to a neat SOL + frigate + lower rate ship mixture, great. If it leads to frigate 5v5 fights (especially with the next point), then yeuck, it's like a tournament face-off, not a linebattle. Though with the way OW PvP is going, no wonder if that's what people are desperately looking for.

Not a fan of the reduced PB size.

- For one, how often have we had complaints about how RvR doesn't provide content for enough players for "only" being about a 25v25 battle?

- Secondly, why would you disperse the playerbase even further with new nations if being unable to field a PB fleet is an issue? They seem counter-active.

- Thirdly, it might become a hot mess if ports end up having a different BR limit here and a different player limit there.

Edit - Hang on a minute. If a smaller clan is only able to decrease the BR limit, not the playercount, then why the hell would stand a chance against 25 players even in lesser (faster) ships than you? Sail in, cap each zone, sail around for a few minutes, easy win. Doesn't make any sense in the current PB circle system.

Edited by Guest

How about rank slots, if you ground out the most hostility you get an Fleet Admirals slot and may enter a 1st rate. If a tad less a Squadron Commander slot with a second rate. For the rank and file: Bellonas...max 3 slots for 1st rates, max 4 slots 2nd rates, and the rest 3rd rates or otherwise? I know this becomes lobby based port battles...that system worked just fine for Pirates of the Burning Sea. It would also lend itself to more historical fleet compositions.

Edited by Sir William Hargood

3 hours ago, ShereKhan said:

How bout this..........NO Duplicate ships in a PB.....1 Santi, 1 victory, etc.....(prolly with the exception of 5th and below, bring all the brigs you want)...this creates a role for all the ships ........

For the devs to code something like that and for players to have to organize a fleet in such a specific way is probably more trouble than it's worth. You would get nothing but complainers.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GhastlyGhost said:

But i have a hope that all ships BR will change. Especially 4th rate BRs. At this moment Wasa outclasses all 4th rate .

Actually the current stats of the Wasa place her easily on par with the 3rd rate...she has 25 Side Armour Hit Points less and 128 pound heavier broadside, only 70 less than the Bellona...the drawback being 100 fewer crew....

I sincerely think it a great idea to impose a system for BR, and thus give life to ships that were always fighting in these battles as the third, besides allowing captains with less experience to enter such battles and not have to wait for that can carry a wasap.
Equally to mention, of which I sincerely seems to me that the wasap is not a ship of 4, but that it should rather recalibrarse to be a ship of 3ª and if it joins to other ships of that same class would give much life to the battles of port.

32 minutes ago, Sir William Hargood said:

Actually the current stats of the Wasa place her easily on par with the 3rd rate...she has 25 Side Armour Hit Points less and 128 pound heavier broadside, only 70 less than the Bellona...the drawback being 100 fewer crew....

Which is why i also advocate for a ship rebalance along with this.

Wasa - 250 br

3rd - 350 br

Bellona - 400 br

When it should honestly be more like this WITH a nerf to the ships cannon loadout (9/18/24 or 9/18/32 instead of the wasa's current 9/24/32).

Wasa - 300 br

3rd - 320 br

Bellona - 400 br

In general though all ships need at least a quick look at them. Br changes, cannon loadout updates, and stat adjustments.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rediii said:

BR limit is better than shiprate slots

With shiprate slots you get into situations where you havr enough players but not the right ships available.

BR limitation is more flexible like this. Even small clans will be able to defend their ports like that

What is the purpose of small clans if they can not attack a port from an enemy,which has possibility to screen the attacking fleet out?

Edited by Cortez

39 minutes ago, Cortez said:

What is the purpose of small clans if they can not attack a port from an enemy,which has possibility to screen the attacking fleet out?

It may be different for EU but on Global starting a port battle has now become the sure fire way to get your opponent out of their ports to fight you.

So it has become less about taking and owning the port ( although taking it is always nice) and more about just getting garaunteed PvP for the day.

If that means a fleet of equal size comes out to screen our fleet, then all the better, it's what we came there for. I'm not saying that I don't see what you're worried about, i just don't think it will be as big as a problem as you make it out to be. I believe the thought is to allow those small clans to feel like they can successfully defend their ports they already own instead of writing it as a loss because they don't have 25 players for defense.

I know a lot of ports generally are decided before they even start due to needing 25 players. If we can allow groups of varying sizes to engage in the rvr activities with varying fleet compositions to allow for more enjoyable differences that would be awesome.

I believe there should also be an option to increase br. So for example, you can both increase or decrease the br limit by 25% instead of 50%.

• Like 2