Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
koltes

Things that needs to be there in the arena game

This is my feedback on the first trial of the Legends.

Arena based games been around for a while now and there is a specific set of tools that is used among them.
Playing NA Legends without these tools really affects the gameplay. Those tools are now simply expected by the gaming community. Please consider the following:

Minimap
1. Remove or move a side what we have now (the immediate surrounding radar) and put the real minimap in the corner;
2. Make it possible to enlarge and be zoomable;
3. Make it possible to beacon on the map (click on the map and produce a beacon for everyone on the same team to see) - makes it easier to coordinate;
4. On the Left Alt hold, make ship icons replaced by Ships armor and structure bars. On release ship icons are returned back to normal;
5. Ships of different rates needs to have different icons or rate indicators.

Battle Information UI
1. Top of the screen needs to have Team Total HP-Armor bar and Kill counts bar;
2. On Tab press you showing the list of players/ships - Ships individual Armor and Structure bars needs to be added too so Tab bar showing condition of the entire fleet.

Post battle screen
1. When battle over you are kicked out. Instead you need to come to the Battle Summary Screen. Shots you have done, how many penetrated, damage dealt, bounced, sail damages, capture points etc etc. This is the screen where player can see his performance in this battle and compare to other people in the team - a must have;

Player Statistics
1. You have a real opportunity to make it properly right from the start. All these can be taken out of your post battle summary screen information;
2. Win - Loss rate, Ship individual stats and so on are a common sense, but you also must implement a sensible Performance Rating system that will show player's skill You cant walk away from it. If you do players will never be happy. The best and easiest way of doing it is to make it based on Average experience earned in the battle. You  must earn experience for doing everything in the game even ramming. If you won the battle you get full (uncut) experience. If you lost you have 50% reduction naturally affecting your performance rating. Also this will count everything you do in the game. If you were on a 5th rate in 3rd rate battle you cant do much structure damage, but you did earn experience for taking out crew and sails and doing critical damages to rudder, pump etc. Everything needs to be counted;
3. If later you will introduce premium accounts with additional ex earning buffs do NOT make this affect the average ex earned. The stats should still show "true" earned experience in the battle that goes towards player's stats and bonus (extra ex) added by premium account that is not counting towards player stats.

Player community - fleets
1. Allow small fleet creation in the lobby (start with 2-3 ships max). When battle starts they all join together;

Gameplay
1. In 5vs5 battles distance between circles is too far. Probably ok for larger teams. It is possible to cap circles and then run from the enemy 5vs1 and still win, because its too far for them to recapture. Also in 5vs5 the distance makes the game tactically dull. If enemy group up - spread go capture and kite. If enemy spread out on capping, then group and and hit small groups. Either or a good tactician will just wait for enemy to make first move then respond. It is impossible to counter due to distance between circles and small size fleets;
2. AI actions are dull. From the beginning of the battle AI sailed right past its own circle and later in the battle have not paid any attention or made any moves to recapture. I have capped all 3 circles in the battle, lost all AI on my side and for the rest of the battle simply avoided the fight and won on cap points;
3. Players needs to have some control over the AI. Maybe send them to cap circles or attack certain ships.

Keep up the good work

Regards,
Koltes

Edited by koltes
  • Like 7

Very much in agreement with all of the above, good constructive stuff. One area I wouldn't spend effort on is AI, IF AI are just there to fill for players right now. Now if there ARE to be missions with AI in them (or against AI...co-op...Armoured Warfare style...then there are 23489762394789274 things about AI).

I would also add a set of 'radial' or F# type commands...Help, Follow Me...etc...naval em up of course.

i would say ia are just because the lack of player and will disapear aren't they?

What we miss is a wot UI with ships still in battle, class of ship, name of players etc. What is not important on NA because ruining immersion is more important in arena game

Minimap
Totally agree to point 1 to 3.
4 is optional and 5 is at least difficult to do since there is a 7-rate system instead of 3 or 4 types as in similar games.
Also I like that you actually need to look aorund you without knowing if the ship on the map is a Brig or Victory. Situational awareness and so on...
It is easy and also leads to quite a few intresting moments if you dont ;)
Do not copy World of X too much here, not everything what comes from them fits every game.

Battle Information UI
I disagree here, it would be sufficient if you see the capped areas, gained points and how many ships are still afloat.
Total armor HP bars wont help much since you can sink ships easily by only destroying one side.

Post battle screen
While I dislike the whole idea of "compare me to player x" I agree that a result screen is needed even if only for the sake of experience/money gained and/or the ego.

Player Statistics
I strongly disagree about a "skill rating" and that is very simple to explain:
1) You can not get it right, everybody evaluates "skill" different.
2) No, you do not actually need it, it is just some fluff and being overdone it rips the community apart easily (I am looking at you, Wargaming...).
However simple stats like win ratio per ship or similar should be availible to the player to find out what fits his or her own playstyle.
This could be done by using the own brain though but maybe some numbers are not bad.
I really hate what XVM did to the World of Tanks community for example and I will not play a game where "noob" is the most used word by far.
On the other hand I am a fan how War Thunder handles it giving you just enough information without stressing it too much.
Everyone his own I guess but whatever happens in the end: Just dont overdo it!

Player community - fleets
Hmm, with lobby you mean in the preloading of a fight?
Otherwise you can already invite friends, it works fine.

Gameplay
Fully agree to 1, circles in all big maps are a waste of time now. They are fun on the smalle rmaps though.
I am ok with the AI at the moment, they do a lot of strange stuff (focusing players and so on) but in the end there will be no AI anymore so for the sake of testing it should be fine.

Edited by isard

Agree with what @koltes said on arena games. Some of these things players are going to expect and would be better to have in from the start, UI issues in particular.

An example I keep hitting 'M' to bring up the map because that's what I am used to doing, but instead need to hit tab bringing up the map and teams.