Game-Labs Forum

The 3rd Rate Merchant Ship

Sersanara

Currently we have in the game merchant ships of 7th (Tr Linx, Tr Cutter), 6th (Tr Snow, Tr Brig), 5th (Le Gros Ventre) and 4th (Indiaman).

But the Spaniards began to use ships of the line for their Indies treasure fleets (Veracruz-Habana-Cadiz, Portobello-Habana-Cadiz) and Manila galleons (Manila-Acapulco) from 1720, with the introduction of new proportions in the construction of vessels dictated by D. Antonio de Gaztañeta, instead of the famous Galleons. These ships were still generally called Galleons of the Indies race or Manila, but were in fact ships of the line. One of the most famous was "Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza", of the race of Manila (the called Galleon of Manila).

59d9f963c03e9_NuestraSeoradelPilardeZaragozaPlanos.thumb.jpg.ecd2ab84eb31f8e68637e5300c771724.jpg59d9f95b4c265_NuestraSeoradelPilardeZaragozaNavio50caonesdelacarreradeManila.thumb.jpg.f0a62344de8b5efec72ca7db7f62ca66.jpg

The ship had a capacity of 22 cannons of 18pd in the first battery, 22 guns of 12pd in the second battery, 6 guns of 9pd in the alcazar and two guns of 9pd or carronades of 68pd in the stern. Total 52 guns.

I propose to implement this merchant ship of 3rd Rate:

Ship                                             Battle Rating    Crew    Guns    Broadside Weight    Cargo Capacity    Max Speed    Draught    Rate   Min Crafting Level
Spanish Galleon or "El Pilar"    ?                         460      50          357pd/0pd               6000                      11.30              Deep         3th     35    

Edited by Sersanara
  • Like 15

Because we are getting Prussia as nation I propose the Prinz von Preußen. It's a former Dutch 64 gun ship called Zoeterwoude and was used by Preußischen Asiatischen Compagnie for trading between Emden and China.

Unfortunately I don't have any plans. Maybe someone can find and add them. The ship was build 1719 in Amsterdam by Jan van Reenen.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinz_von_Preußen_(Schiff)

Edited by z4ys

14 hours ago, z4ys said:

Because we are getting Prussia as nation I propose the Prinz von Preußen. It's a former Dutch 64 gun ship called Zoeterwoude and was used by Preußischen Asiatischen Compagnie for trading between Emden and China.

Unfortunately I don't have any plans. Maybe someone can find and add them. The ship was build 1719 in Amsterdam by Jan van Reenen.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinz_von_Preußen_(Schiff)

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=923

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Captan Thomas Fremantle said:

Urca de Lima from Black Sails series . Spanish Trader Ship full of gold .

NPpjEkY.thumb.jpg.46cae3dd5572e7663a990e548074e9f9.jpg

Some info here . This ship existed .

http://black-sails.wikia.com/wiki/Urca_de_Lima

modern representation of a lost ship, you need plans to propose such a vessel, and I doubt one exists of this particular ship.  They might be able to map it out based on knowledge of the wreck, but I highly doubt such a rebuild is feasible.

• 1 year later...
On 10/8/2017 at 12:17 PM, Sersanara said:

The ship had a capacity of 22 cannons of 18pd in the first battery, 22 guns of 12pd in the second battery, 6 guns of 9pd in the alcazar and two guns of 9pd or carronades of 68pd in the stern. Total 52 guns.

I propose to implement this merchant ship of 3rd Rate:

Ship                                             Battle Rating    Crew    Guns    Broadside Weight    Cargo Capacity    Max Speed    Draught    Rate   Min Crafting Level
Spanish Galleon or "El Pilar"    ?                         460      50          357pd/0pd               6000                      11.30              Deep         3th     35    

I love this. The combination of a galleon and a more modern shape, with a more modern stern gallery. Beautiful ship.

Like the stats, too, want to add that with that hull shape, following the logic of the game (Wapen), it should get a 3.-ish turnrate, making it kind of a trading Wapen, able to fend of most of the faster ships, when they are not captained quite well.

• Like 1

I must say I have a preference for the dutch ship (Pieter Paulus), simply because it was launched during revolutionnay/napoleonic wars, the timeframe I think NA should focus on for easier balancing.

Edited by Serk

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 3:23 PM, Serk said:

I must say I have a preference for the dutch ship (Pieter Paulus), simply because it was launched during revolutionnay/napoleonic wars, the timeframe I think NA should focus on for easier balancing.

Nuestra Senora del Pilar was built in 1731, so it is within the timeframe of the game (since Wapen and Ingermanland are even older), and stylewise it fits in, too. It may be called a Galleon, but it does not look like a classical galleon at all.

But I do like the Pieter Paulus, too. I do not quite see a balancing problem due to launching date, despite some ships may be mildly frustating (like Connie due to her rating). Therefore, I want both ships  to make their way into the game.

• Like 1