Game-Labs Forum

Post your most wanted sequel to ultimate general no matter how insane they are.

AegorBlackfyre

Bah, if we think about it in a cold simple way, a napoleonic game is totally obvious : it's the most money making machine, it's a natural ambition for a game designer to want a make a great game about this holy totem of an era. I mean you nail Waterloo and such properly and your game becomes the Sid Meier's of its time.

So I am pretty confident I will get to play an ultimate general Napoleon by next christmas time. Book it !

16 hours ago, Major Grigg said:

I agree with you all. I know these things take time, and I'm very happy with the current problem. However, an announcement or statement would be great!

Major Grigg, I agree wholeheartly with you, but even an announcement for the new game, it would only increase our collective "guidiness" about the new game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veji1 said:

Bah, if we think about it in a cold simple way, a napoleonic game is totally obvious : it's the most money making machine, it's a natural ambition for a game designer to want a make a great game about this holy totem of an era. I mean you nail Waterloo and such properly and your game becomes the Sid Meier's of its time.

So I am pretty confident I will get to play an ultimate general Napoleon by next christmas time. Book it !

I'd say sooner than that

If they will go with Napoleon, what i would like to see in this engine, are large battle maps, let say size of whole operational area before certain battles.. And player would have multiple entry points with limited unit threshold (limited amount of unit that can be placed on that entry point) simulating usual practice of different marching directions for different corps.. This way, player would have to do the recon on the battle map, decide which way his forces move forward, where they concentrate, or how they spread out..  this way player would be the one who orders own units to reinforce where he sees it fit (instead of linear scenario setup), so battles could happen even on different places than they did in history..

It would make initial orders a lot more important, because it could determine what force will meet the enemy, or how far from each other player's divisions will be at the time he makes contact with enemy forces.. This way, light cavalry would get whole new level of importance as it would be the eyes and ears of the army, with main role to identify where exactly enemy army is.. At the same time, it would give player option to use proper Napoleonic strategies,  while at the same time, actual numbers would not play that big role, instead, amounts of men player can get in time would be more important.. lots of battles of those times were decided when one side got late reinforcements which sometimes decided already lost battles like for example Marengo, while others were won because of properly utilizing own approaching units into battle plan (Austerlitz - Davout's Corps)

So, imagine a Waterloo campaign, with map where you would have Ligny, Waterloo, Quatre Bras and Wavre present at the start, and both sides deployed in their historic starting positions. and it would be player role to scout the probable areas of enemy approach, and maneuver own armies into position player wants  to win the campaign.. Player would have option to rewrite the history by adopting different strategy, and face different consequences of own actions.

Of course, road network would be important, with limited throughput for units, so player will be unable to march whole army over one road (or he could ,but at the cost of army being spread out on that road, and much slower than if different parts would move separately)..

I very much like and hope for a Napoleonic sequel, though I wonder how the period differences will be respresented. For one, it would require a complete overhaul of how cavarly works. Customization would also be limited fairly: The French infantry, for example, used only three different muskets, all in the same caliber and apart from slight differences in appearance were identical. At the same time, differences in uniform were much greater and there could be some customization in that, although it's hard to imagine different tactical effects based on the colour of your uniform or the amount of buttons it has. Artillery, same story: apart from differences in caliber, pretty much the same in every nation.

If we do end up with a specific Napoleonic campaign, please, please, please pick something else then Waterloo. 1804-05 offers some great battles, or even the 1813 German campaign with of course the battle of Leipzig. Waterloo is famous, yes, but also pretty much overdone - as much as it hurts me to say as a Dutchman.

39 minutes ago, Duuring said:

I very much like and hope for a Napoleonic sequel, though I wonder how the period differences will be respresented. For one, it would require a complete overhaul of how cavarly works. Customization would also be limited fairly: The French infantry, for example, used only three different muskets, all in the same caliber and apart from slight differences in appearance were identical. At the same time, differences in uniform were much greater and there could be some customization in that, although it's hard to imagine different tactical effects based on the colour of your uniform or the amount of buttons it has. Artillery, same story: apart from differences in caliber, pretty much the same in every nation.

If we do end up with a specific Napoleonic campaign, please, please, please pick something else then Waterloo. 1804-05 offers some great battles, or even the 1813 German campaign with of course the battle of Leipzig. Waterloo is famous, yes, but also pretty much overdone - as much as it hurts me to say as a Dutchman.

Agreed, customization weapons wise would be limited.

The Napoleonic era does offer 3 types of infantry (light, line and guard), 3 types of cavalry (light, line and heavy) and 2 types of artillery (line and horse). Cavalry and artillery can also be given a further customization as guard. So while weapons customization is limited, unit customization is quite varied... which would be especially nice if you could see the difference on the battlefield.

5 hours ago, LAVA said:

Agreed, customization weapons wise would be limited.

The Napoleonic era does offer 3 types of infantry (light, line and guard), 3 types of cavalry (light, line and heavy) and 2 types of artillery (line and horse). Cavalry and artillery can also be given a further customization as guard. So while weapons customization is limited, unit customization is quite varied... which would be especially nice if you could see the difference on the battlefield.

Now, this is a hint!

Any such game will have to be bigger and better than before. I remember launching Civil War for the first time, I was blown away by how improved and expanded the gameplay was from Gettysburg (a title I played through countless times before). The first CSA and Union missions caught me off-guard with stuff I wasn't expecting, the forts, the ironclads, the armoured trains... Any such sequel will have to take a risk and delve into uncharted waters too.

If it's anything though, I've heard a lot of my friends say they wished Civil War had an actual campaign map, at least something you could move your armies around on (similar to Total War). They weren't also thrilled about the whole army scaling issue (which improved later) and the fact that each battle's outcome didn't really contribute to different scenarios other than a pure defeat and game over. People missed the decision making that Gettysburg had, granted though that was one battle, not the 50 odd battles Civil War has but I still think there was that desire for dynamic battles even for replayability value.

There's a lot of possibilities of what the sequel may be but it will have to get the things that put some people off Civil War right.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sanny said:

Any such game will have to be bigger and better than before. I remember launching Civil War for the first time, I was blown away by how improved and expanded the gameplay was from Gettysburg (a title I played through countless times before). The first CSA and Union missions caught me off-guard with stuff I wasn't expecting, the forts, the ironclads, the armoured trains... Any such sequel will have to take a risk and delve into uncharted waters too.

If it's anything though, I've heard a lot of my friends say they wished Civil War had an actual campaign map, at least something you could move your armies around on (similar to Total War). They weren't also thrilled about the whole army scaling issue (which improved later) and the fact that each battle's outcome didn't really contribute to different scenarios other than a pure defeat and game over. People missed the decision making that Gettysburg had, granted though that was one battle, not the 50 odd battles Civil War has but I still think there was that desire for dynamic battles even for replayability value.

There's a lot of possibilities of what the sequel may be but it will have to get the things that put some people off Civil War right.

Gentlemen, 

This is Sanny. A die hard Scot who lives up to every stereotype you can imagine, and a hell of a good guy. 

Sanny introduced me to Ultimate General: Civil War. He talked me into buying and playing it just about the time Dartis and Sterner released the Shiloh battle. And unless I'm mistaken that's his first post ever on this forum.

He is a mensch, and a friend of mine from the Paradox game forums. Take care of him. Give him just as much grief as you'd give me, and he'll hand it right back to you again. 

Please join me in welcoming him to the forum. 

• Like 2

Ultimate General: Blitzkrieg!

Zoom the map out so that instead of individual farm buildings, you have towns and cities.  Units become divisions (along with some smaller artillery and specialty units) and the player controls up to Army Group level.  Operational/Strategic level.  Campaigns, not battles.  Real chain of command- i.e. give orders to Corps or Army HQs (or Fleets/Task Forces & Air  Forces) to cut down on micromanagement.  Includes Air and Naval.  Be able to build stuff like fortifications, airfields and the like. Scenarios include Fall Gelb, Campaign for Guadalcanal, Operation Typhoon, Operation Overlord, Mediterranean Campaign. 

Thread said 'no matter how insane'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred Sanford said:

Ultimate General: Blitzkrieg!

Zoom the map out so that instead of individual farm buildings, you have towns and cities.  Units become divisions (along with some smaller artillery and specialty units) and the player controls up to Army Group level.  Operational/Strategic level.  Campaigns, not battles.  Real chain of command- i.e. give orders to Corps or Army HQs (or Fleets/Task Forces & Air  Forces) to cut down on micromanagement.  Includes Air and Naval.  Be able to build stuff like fortifications, airfields and the like. Scenarios include Fall Gelb, Campaign for Guadalcanal, Operation Typhoon, Operation Overlord, Mediterranean Campaign. 

Thread said 'no matter how insane'.

This could be good for WWI as well! Dig trenches, Units are Divisions, Massive European map plus Africa and colonies

• Like 1

If there will be a Napoleonic version I'll be re-creating the 95th Rifles and the South Essex Regiment in honour of the fictitious Sharpe for sure! :-)

Edited by Lubisko
typos! Its typical for me to spot them afterwards :-)
  • Like 1