Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Barberouge

Player-selected ship 2017 - Final poll

Choose the vessel you prefer  

292 members have voted

  1. 1. Choose the vessel you prefer

    • Friderichsværn
      8
    • Nikolai
      2
    • Venus
      20
    • Princesa Real
      13
    • HMS Leopard
      6
    • Princes Wilhelmina
      6
    • Wenden
      4
    • Vrijheid class
      5
    • Téméraire class
      48
    • Montañés class
      107
    • Wreker class
      67
    • HMS Foudroyant
      7


Recommended Posts

Venus carries 40 guns and for now is in the lead among the frigates.

Seven frigates already implemented in game carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione !!!

Why not, instead of voting for the Venus, vote for a frigate that might fill in one of these gaps :

  • Light frigates 32-36 guns
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns ?
Edited by LeBoiteux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Venus carries 40 guns and for now is in front among the frigates.

Seven frigates already implemented in game carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione !!!

Why not, instead of voting for the Venus, vote for a frigate that might fill in one of these gaps :

  • Light frigates 32-36 guns
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns ?

Hello , i think your a very experienced ship knowner. Now , looking at the ships that are in this poll , which one would you like to see the most? I am really interested in your opinion , because i think your a very nice man and your knowlegde of ships is big , way bigger then mine , so i would like to hear your vote and the reasons :) ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The goal of those polls is to give life to vessels that players really want to sail in game. That is the main goal.

You can notice that the previous polls served as a way to catch the attention on multiple vessels. Many of them are now in game:

  • 2014 - 4/5
  • 2015 - 6/12
  • 2016 - 3/15

 

This year the choice was restricted so that the line-up could be filled. The guns count gives an indication but the broadside weight and the gunnery weight complement it. Venus has less guns than requested but her gunnery is close to the Trinco's because she carries 24 pounders.

 

Bringing under-represented nations to the game is great if the vessels proposed are also heavily favored by players. Some players will always vote for their favorite nation, some others will feel a specific vessel deserves their vote in any case.

  • Venetian ships didn't make it, so maybe the future choice of a Serenìsima vessel will be more accurate, more unanimous ?
  • Princesa Real fills both the size and the nation, but maybe Portuguese-focused and other players would prefer another Portuguese vessel ? Princesa Carlota, Rainha de Portugal, Príncipe Real, Dom Joao ?
  • There were already some Dutch vessels in previous years, but this time one really got the love of the community

 

That being said, the voting process isn't set in stone. Though some of those ships from the polls are like good wine: they get better the next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the facts that :

  • there is 7 frigates already implemented in game that carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione,
  • the initial poll 2017 showed no love for light frigates (32-36 guns) among which there was only one 9-pdr frigate (that is what we really need)
  • the frigate that is the most voted in this final poll (for now) is the Venus that carried 40 guns
  • there is no 32-36 gun frigates in game (gap #1)
  • the French Hermione is said by Boudriot to carry, to be built to carry or to have carried (?) only 32 guns (26 x 12-pdr + 6 x 6-pdr ) :

hKJR8ps.png

Can't NA devs make the Hermione carry 32, 34 or 36 guns by removing her 16x9-pdr guns on the weather deck and replace them by 6, 8 or 10 x 6-pdr guns  ?

Source : J. Boudriot, History of the French frigate, p. 156.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Given the facts that :

  • there is 7 frigates already implemented in game that carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione,
  • the initial poll 2017 showed no love for light frigates (32-36 guns) among which there was only one 9-pdr frigate (that is what we really need)
  • the frigate that is the most voted in this final poll (for now) is the Venus that carried 40 guns
  • there is no 32-36 gun frigates in game (gap #1)
  • the French Hermione is said by Boudriot to carry, to be built to carry or to have carried (?) only 32 guns (26 x 12-pdr + 6 x 6-pdr ) :

hKJR8ps.png

Can't NA devs make the Hermione carry 32, 34 or 36 guns by removing her 16x9-pdr guns on the weather deck and replace them by 6, 8 or 10 x 6-pdr guns  ?

Source : J. Boudriot, History of the French frigate, p. 156.

Devs will always put a gun in every gun port and even some places with port lids that aren't gun ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, akd said:

Devs will always put a gun in every gun port and even some places with port lids that aren't gun ports.

I know...

Thx for the advice. I'll be careful :P

Edited by LeBoiteux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Venus carries 40 guns and for now is in the lead among the frigates.

Seven frigates already implemented in game carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione !!!

Why not, instead of voting for the Venus, vote for a frigate that might fill in one of these gaps :

  • Light frigates 32-36 guns
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns ?

It seems clear that none of these will win anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GreatTimo said:

Now , looking at the ships that are in this poll , which one would you like to see the most? 

I haven't voted yet. I think I won't. For the first time. I haven't found my happiness, a ship I'd like to sail with. So I will let the passionate ones vote. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It seems clear that none of these will win anyway

What matters is that it shows devs which frigate most attracts the fans of frigates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Barberouge said:

Bringing under-represented nations to the game is great if the vessels proposed are also heavily favored by players. Some players will always vote for their favorite nation, some others will feel a specific vessel deserves their vote in any case.

  • Venetian ships didn't make it, so maybe the future choice of a Serenìsima vessel will be more accurate, more unanimous ?
  • Princesa Real fills both the size and the nation, but maybe Portuguese-focused and other players would prefer another Portuguese vessel ? Princesa Carlota, Rainha de Portugal, Príncipe Real, Dom Joao ?
  • There were already some Dutch vessels in previous years, but this time one really got the love of the community

 

That being said, the voting process isn't set in stone. Though some of those ships from the polls are like good wine: they get better the next year.

I'm not sure how you could get more accurate than the ships put forward, The best resourced Venetian ships are easily Fama and La Harpe, I spent a long time trying to dig up some information on the Palma class frigates, Muiron would also have been fine but she would have stuck out in the selection being at 44 guns.

The posts I and some others like Sella22 have spent weeks researching and writing for Venetian ships have basically boiled down to 5 main options, Muiron, Fama, Laharpe, San Carlo Borromeo and Leon Trionfante. There are also a few smaller ships that can be thought about like Giasone, Enea and Cibelle

There are a couple of others which make more difficult because their plans are unnamed, poor quality or lack the needed detail, ships such as San Michele Arcangelo . The other issue is San Carlo Borromeo, San Michele Arcangelo and Leon Trionfante are single hulled, so wouldn't perform in the same way as other ships in the game. The other issue is that La Harpe and Muiron were sat mothballed in ordinary for the majority of their life, only finished after the French occupied the city.

So this kind of leaves you with 2 options with 2 sub options, you go for a ship launched within the time frame of the republic which means you either pick a ship with a single hull which will behave quite differently, or you are forced to have Fama, Palma or Pallade (Pallade being a poor choice because she is a support ship) The other option is picking a ship launched after the republic, where you basically get the extra options of Laharpe which would fit into the 74 slot nicely, or Muiron who has a fun history but weren't ever sailed under the Venetian flag.

All arrows seem to point to Fama, she is one of the esteemed Fregata grossa rating so nimble and fast with a huge poundage to punch, whilst also being double hulled, and having sailed under Venice, she also has some incredibly high def plans, and a model in the Austrian military museum and best of all she is a beautiful ship. The other option would be Palma, but I still havent found some surviving plans for her, but she would have suited the vote nicely as a 38 gun Frigate, I will see if I can dig up anything else over time.

DvAOkZh.jpg

Wildcard maybe ;)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

I haven't voted yet. I think I won't. For the first time. I haven't found my happiness, a ship I'd like to sail with. So I will let the passionate ones vote. :)

I understand , and i think its a good decision then :D  , theres one ship i would really like to see , but it will never be in game. I am thinking about buying a model ship of it. Its called: Le Soleil Royal. She was build in Brest between 1668 and 1670 by engineer Laurent Hubac. She was launched in 1669 and stayed in Brest harbour for years.She was recommissioned with 112 guns and 1200 men when the Nine years war broke out in 1688 as the flagship of the escadre du Ponant (squadron of the West). She was said to be a good sailing ship and her decorations were amongst the most beautiful and elaborate of all baroque flagships. The emblem of the "sun" had been chosen by Louis XIV as his personal symbol. :) 

 

Soleil Royal model ships.jpg

Soleil_Royal_2.jpg

Featured-Le-Soleil-Royal-Star-Stern-View.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like the SR, then check out these build logs on modelshipworld:

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16870-le-soleil-royal-by-nek0-marc-yeu-172/

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16043-soleil-royal-1669-by-michel-saunier/

And while the SR is out of the timeframe, the pretty similiar 110-gun Le Foudroyant of 1694 isn´t:

59d905e936c01_FoudroyantStern.thumb.jpg.0516ad0435deb1a4ca1ffb5cfc160123.jpg

Dat stern :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Barberouge said:

The guns count gives an indication but the broadside weight and the gunnery weight complement it. Venus has less guns than requested but her gunnery is close to the Trinco's because she carries 24 pounders.

Indeed !

But likewise the Friderichsværn (broadside weight with guns = 164 pdr) and the Nikolai (broadside weight = 264 pdr) are not light frigates able to fill in the gap between 9-pdr La Renommée (broadside weight = 129 pdr) and 9-pdr HMS Surprise (broadside weight = 150 pdr) as they carry 12-pdr and 18-pdr guns.

However, you did your best. :)

PS : L'Hermione couldn't fill in that gap either, even with only 26 x 12-pdr + 6 x 6-pdr (174 pdr).

Edited by LeBoiteux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

What matters is that it shows devs which frigate most attracts the fans of frigates.

 

That would be a different poll.  This poll is about which ship will be in game, so only the top 2-3 that have a chance of winning matter.  I doubt I'd ever use those ships, but there's no point in voting for the other ships that have no chance of winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Admiral Horatio Hornblower said:

Not a very interesting career for the wreeker class... the other third rates at least have something to tell. The most noticiable thing is that they were used by the french. No action, no battles.

That might be so , but right now we are not looking for ships with a huge back story. We are looking for factions without many ships. We are looking for unique ships. The Dutch have no ship yet , while it were one of the biggest naval factions of those times. Thats why lots of people vote on wreker , because its dutch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2017 at 2:30 PM, Knobby said:

in situations like these democracy will not ensure minorities get their share, it should be obvious...

"democracy is the tyranny of the majority"

I'll see what others say before committing but i'll be voting for a frigate.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

"democracy is the tyranny of the majority"

I'll see what others say before committing but i'll be voting for a frigate.

 

Commendable, but unfortunately the majority have spoken, and, willing to compromise with the masses, I'm backing the Wreker now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell. Look at Montanes go. (Sorry, couldn't get get the computer to type the tilde.) Wreker, too. Looks like the Temeraire's in trouble already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the incoming BR limited PBS, we need all 3 new 3rd rate model. Hopefully their BR will be balanced to be the "go to" line ship. That way, first rate could become much more expensive, yet dominant with their firepower, without pissing too many people off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Serk said:

With the incoming BR limited PBS, we need all 3 new 3rd rate model.

Three 3rd Rates in a row ?! And no new frigates in between ? No new 6th-Rates ? No trader ? Nothing ? Really ? Huh ? Sure ? Hmm ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

Three 3rd Rates in a row ?! And no new frigates in between ? No new 6th-Rates ? No trader ? Nothing ? Really ? Huh ? Sure ? Hmm ?

*Arvenski breaks out his "List of ships ingame" thread*

Counting 5th and 6th rates, there are 20 frigates in the game now. We know the Diana's in development, and there's still that Xebec and Kepler from ages ago that may or may not get ingame someday. Compare that to just two 3rd rates, one of which is a generic, less-decorated version of the other. The Bucentuare and Pavel are similar enough to 3rd rates that we may as well count them, too, just for the heck of it, but that's still only 4 ships. Two years ago, we heard that there were two more 3rd rates and two more 2nd rates in development, but we've heard nothing about them since then that I'm aware of. In other words, three new 3rd rates in development wouldn't hurt anything. Even if you compare 3rd rates to just 6th rates or just 5th rates, 3rd rates are pretty damn underrepresented by comparison. :P

*LeBoiteux shoots Arvenski*

-----------------------

@George Washington: Explain.

Edited by Arvenski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×