• HMS Leopard
    • Princes Wilhelmina
    • Wenden
    • Vrijheid class
    • Téméraire class
    • Montañés class
    • Wreker class
    • HMS Foudroyant

The ships were proposed in Player selected ship 2017 - Suggestions. Requirements were:

• Light frigates 32-36 guns (we have no ships in this range)
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns (we only have trincomalee and constitution in this range)
  • 3rd rates 70-80 guns (we only have 1.5 ships in this range)

And those nations were preferred:

• Dutch
  • Portuguese
  • Venetian

11 ships have been selected from the initial poll (the 10th were ex aequo), and 1 more added per admin's request.

Choose your preferred vessel.

• Friderichsværn (1784, Dano-Norwegian 36-gun frigate)

Friderichsværn was one of the seven Bornholm-class 12-pounder frigates designed by Henrik Gerne, probably Denmarks most eminent shipwright in the 18th century. She was named after the naval base of Fredriksvern, which was to become in 1814 the main base for the Norwegian Royal Navy. In 1807, Friderichsværn was captured off Göteborg in an illegal single-ship action by HMS Comus. Two days before the Gunboat War was declared, the British sixth rate chased Friderichsværn, disabled her rigging and boarded her.  NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki HMS Comus

XvHAtVz.jpg

• Nikolai (1790, Russian 34-gun frigate)

Sviatoi Nikolai was one of the sixteen Alexander-class 18-pounder rowing frigates designed by Ivan Kutygin for the Baltic Fleet. She was built at the Kronstadt Shipyard during the Russo-Swedish War of 1790 to fight the Swedish coastal frigates. Nikolai participated in the battles of Kronstadt and Vyborg, and was sunk at the Battle of Svensksund, the biggest Swedish naval victory and the largest naval battle ever in the Baltic Sea. She was found in 1948 almost intact in the sea bottom.  NA Topic / Finnish Site / English Site / 3-Decks / Wiki

mfDxFyn.jpg

• Venus (1783, Swedish 40-gun frigate)

Venus was built following the Bellona design by Fredrik Chapman, the first frigates to carry 24-pounder guns. She was captured by the Russians in 1789. She retained the same name in Imperial Russian service and participated in the battle of Reval and in the battle of Vyborg Bay. She was sold to the Kingdom of Naples in 1807 to avoid capture by the British. Venus and her sister ships sailed exceptionally well, doing 13-14 knots with a good wind. NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki

venus111.jpg

• Princesa Real (1819, Portuguese 50-gun frigate)

Princesa Real was a large frigate built at the Lisbon shipyard. Her spacious and sheltered natural harbor at the mouth of the Tage had helped Lisbon to become the center of the first global empire. Princesa Real participated in the Battle of Cape St Vincent during the Portuguese Civil War, where a naval squadron commanded by the British officer Charles Napier, on behalf of the Emperor of Brasil, defeated the navy of the proclaimed King of Portugal. Princesa Real was built for the open sea and probably carried 24-pounders. NA Post / 3-Decks

GDxDbDK.jpg

• HMS Leopard (1790, British 50-gun ship)

Leopard was one of the ten Portland-class ships designed by John Williams, also the architect of the cutter Alert. HMS Leopard took several prizes during the French Revolutionary Wars and participated in the ending of Napoleon's Campaign of Egypt. In 1807 she attacked and boarded the USS Chesapeake off the coast of Virginia, looking for deserters from the Royal Navy - one of the incidents which preceded the War of 1812. Leopard grounded at the outlet of the Saint Lawrence River in 1814, but all hands on board survived. NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki

lFYMCc0.jpg

• Prinses Frederika Louise Wilhelmina (1779, Dutch 54-gun ship)

Princes Wilhelmina was commissionned by the Admiralty of Friesland, one of the five autonomous admiralties of the Dutch Republic. She was built at the Harlingen Shipyard, home of the 17th century naval hero Tjerk Hiddes de Vries. Wilhelmina was named after the princess Louise of Orange-Nassau, daughter of the last stadtholder of the Dutch Republic.  NA Post / 3-Decks

8B4i84m.jpg

• Wenden (1706, Dano-Norwegian 70-gun ship)

The Wenden was built by Olaus Judichær at the Holmen naval base. Founded in the late 17th century, the base has played a vital role in the history of Denmark as well as Copenhagen. For over 300 years, Holmen was the largest employer of the country. Aside from being one of Denmark’s largest battleships of her day, Wenden was also beautiful as attested by Judichær’s colored design plans of her stern galleries. NA Topic / 3-Decks

wenden10.jpg

• Vrijheid class (1783, Dutch 74-gun ship)

Prins Maurits and Zeven Provinciën were built along the lines of the Vrijheid, "Freedom". She fought as flagship of the admiraal Jan de Winter at the Battle of Camperdown, the major engagement of the Dutch naval forces in the 18th century. During the battle only the Dutch flagship remained in combat and De Winter was the only officer who remained uninjured, standing on his wrecked quarterdeck and still refusing to lower his colours. When British sailors boarded the drifting flagship, Vrijheid had lost almost half of her crew.  NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki

njZItJq.jpg

• Téméraire class (1782, French 74-gun ship)

The Téméraire class was a series of 120 ships designed by Jacques-Noël Sané. Along with the 80-gun Tonnant class and the 118-gun Océan class, the Téméraire class was to become one of the three French standard types of battleships. The Téméraire type was and remains the most numerous class of capital ship ever built. Their qualities at sea and in combat quickly made them the reference for all the European fleets. The Redoutable is famous for having duelled the HMS Victory at Trafalgar, killing Lord Nelson.  NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki

temera13.jpg

• Montañés class (1794, Spanish 74-gun ship)

The Montañés was the first of four ships designed by Julián Martín de Retamosa, who refined the lines of the San Ildefonso class. He sharpened the ends and lowered the center of gravity, creating a faster and more seaworthy vessel. Copper plated, she could reach 14 knots downwind and 10 knots upwind. The four ships of the class fought at Trafalgar and only the Montañés survived the following storm. In 1808, she participated in the capture of the Rosily squadron during the Peninsular War against the Napoleonic invaders.  NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki / Spanish Wiki

Qms0ppc.jpg

• Wreker class (1798, Dutch 80-gun ship)

The Wreker, "Avenger" was designed by Pieter Glavimans and built at the Amsterdam Shipyard. The Dutch Admiralty, impressed by the Wreker's overall performance, would order six other ships. Some of those would be named after famous Dutch admiraals: De Ruyter, Zoutman and Evertsen. The hull form of the Wreker class is the usual Dutch type, shallow draught, flat bottom, square profile necessary for operations in Dutch shallow waters.  NA Topic / Model / 3-Decks / Wiki

nuj8vqA.jpg

• HMS Foudroyant (1798, British 80-gun ship)

Foudroyant was designed by John Henslow and built at the Plymouth Shipyard. She had a long and successful career and served as Nelson's flagship during the French Revolutionary Wars. In 1800, Foudroyant participated in the capture of the two French ships Guillaume Tell and Généreux which had escaped the Battle of the Nile. During the Napoleonic Wars she captured several prizes in the Atlantic. She was serving as a training vessel until 1897 when she went ashore during a storm.  NA Topic / 3-Decks / Wiki

ycpFN93.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Haratik said:

Time to vote for real y'all.  Let's get the Dutch and/or Portuguese some representation!

While beautifully intricate Venetian viola plays sad songs, today is not the day for the republic.

I'm actually pretty stumped who to vote for, I'm not particularly keen on any of the ships here, a lot of them are kind of ugly, although it would be good to finally get some Dutch representation.

Leopard and Téméraire should both be in the game by now and we probably shouldn't even be voting for them... Montañés is famous for running away, and arguably her most important part is her copper sheathing, not her design, Wenden is a bit ugly and there are far better examples to pick from for a 70 gun ship,  Friderichsværn and Nikolai are kind of ugly, we don't desperately need any more 24lb frigates, we have 3 and potentially still "Kepler" is in the works so that kind of counts Venus out, Princess Real is pretty ugly and modern for my liking, HMS Foudroyant is a nice ship but the 80 gunner of the game should really be Bucentaure even if she currently sits at 88, by that I am left with the Dutch ships Prinses Frederika Louise Wilhelmina, Vrijheid class and the Wreker class, visually I prefer the Vrijheid and Prinses Frederika, although Wreker is probably a more appropriate choice, overall I am leaning towards Vrijheid but it doesn't feel right.

I'd like to be properly remindeded of why each ship should make it into the game by someone passionate about it. Please persuade me and others to why vote for a ship :)

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 3

Sigh, so again you put up a big ass poll including ships from nations that are already way over represented (both in ships and players), even when stated devs prefer ships from 3 underrepresented nations.

I predict that this poll will yet again result in a french or british ship, and the dutch and others will again be left hanging...

Why why why go with a poll like this? Minority nations will not get their ships if you go about it like this. every damn poll the dutch ships have been left just shy of getting in, and now you guarantee it will happen again. Make a new poll with just the 3 preferred nations!

If you really want to put up a poll which is according to the Devs specs then, you need to get rid of the Nikolai, Venus, Hms Leopard, Téméraire and the HMS Foudroyant. Then this poll would be more usefull then it is right now since we have ships of nations that are already represented/overrepresented.

• Like 2

According to the timezone the game is representing, Brits, Spanish, Dutch, America and French were the most common nations in the Caribbean/Golf of Mexico area.

Its nice to have a few ships from other nations, like Denmark and Sweden. But please, give the game some Dutch ships. Nations like France (L'Ocean) Brits (HMS Victory), Spain (Santisima), Sweden (Wasa) and America (Constitution) have their ships. Wat do the Dutch have? Nothing (yet). During the time of 1700-1800 the Dutch have had a lot of well armored ships!

Its good to have a poll like this but that doesn't really help a nation like Dutch to sail with their own 'realistic' ships. So please devs, take this opportunity and  see if there is a way to add a Dutch 3rd rate to this beautiful game :)

(sorry for my english ;) )

Edited by Mr.Blair

I voted for the Prinses Frederika mainly because of the plan provided: full of detail from stern to bow, as well as the fact that she's a Dutch ship.  That being said, and seeing the ships selected for the final poll, it would probably be best that the Princesa Real represent Portugal and either the Vrijheid or the Wreker represent the Dutch.  The Montañes I would also like to see, but certainly not this poll, not with the Santissima already ingame as well as the Diana in development.

26 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Sigh, so again you put up a big ass poll including ships from nations that are already way over represented (both in ships and players), even when stated devs prefer ships from 3 underrepresented nations.

I predict that this poll will yet again result in a french or british ship, and the dutch and others will again be left hanging...

Why why why go with a poll like this? Minority nations will not get their ships if you go about it like this. every damn poll the dutch ships have been left just shy of getting in, and now you guarantee it will happen again. Make a new poll with just the 3 preferred nations!

I am of a similar mind.  When I saw the initial post for the ship suggestions I had to hold back from a facepalm.  I know the staff mean well, but asking for underrepresented nations AND THEN adding "Other great models will also be allowed but we would prefer underrepresented nations. " knowing full well that's going to open the door for nations already moderately or well represented, thus diluting the vote pool, only makes one ask "why bother?".

Like I said previously, I'll wait til the final selection before any final commentary, but while I'm glad to see more ships ingame, I'm not appreciative of the lack of a Venetian finalist, nor the presence of other nations, particularly France or Spain.

• Like 1

Call that a double-bind poll :P :

• We want ships that fill in the gaps but we add ships outside the gaps (Venus)
  • We want underrepresented nations but we add well-represented nations.

btw, there no 'over-represented' nations as there are still a lots of ships to add from every nation. For now, there are only nations that are more represented than others.

5 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

btw, there no 'over-represented' nations as there are still a lots of ships to add from every nation. For now, there are only nations that are more represented than others.

over-represented in relation to every other nation

1 hour ago, LeBoiteux said:

Please read, 10 of the ships presented in this poll were voted by the community. So it's those which voted which brought the ships in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

Please read, 10 of the ships presented in this poll were voted by the community. So it's those which voted which brought the ships in this poll.

I read. I was talking about the selection before initial poll from which these ships have come.

Sorry if it'd been taken too badly. I didn't mean that. :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

21 minutes ago, Tomms123 said:

yes, that was the first mistake

if devs decide they are missing certain ships from certain nations, don't allow any other ships in the poll!

in situations like these democracy will not ensure minorities get their share, it should be obvious...

Edited by Knobby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Knobby said:

yes, that was the first mistake

if devs decide they are missing certain ships from certain nations, don't allow any other ships in the poll!

in situations like these democracy will not ensure minorities get their share, it should be obvious...

That's what happened in the last poll in 2016 : all the selected ships were from under-represented nations. And it worked well.

But the 2017 poll would have been the 2nd poll in a row with only underrepresented nations. That might have made devs hesitate.

Morevover, they've always stated in this poll that their main current concern was about filing the gaps (ie the number of guns). Nations were less important, a matter of 'preference' :

15 hours ago, Barberouge said:

Requirements were:

• Light frigates 32-36 guns (we have no ships in this range)
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns (we only have trincomalee and constitution in this range)
  • 3rd rates 70-80 guns (we only have 1.5 ships in this range)

And those nations were preferred:

• Dutch
  • Portuguese
  • Venetian

But I must admit I am more interested in filing the gaps inbetween the frigates than in nations...

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 2

Venus carries 40 guns and for now is in the lead among the frigates.

Seven frigates already implemented in game carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione !!!

Why not, instead of voting for the Venus, vote for a frigate that might fill in one of these gaps :

• Light frigates 32-36 guns
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns ?
Edited by LeBoiteux

2 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Venus carries 40 guns and for now is in front among the frigates.

Seven frigates already implemented in game carry between 38 and 42 guns : the Surprise, the Cherubim, la Belle Poule, the Pirate Frigate, the Essex, Santa Cecilia and the Hermione !!!

Why not, instead of voting for the Venus, vote for a frigate that might fill in one of these gaps :

• Light frigates 32-36 guns
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns ?

Hello , i think your a very experienced ship knowner. Now , looking at the ships that are in this poll , which one would you like to see the most? I am really interested in your opinion , because i think your a very nice man and your knowlegde of ships is big , way bigger then mine , so i would like to hear your vote and the reasons :) ? 

• Like 5