Game-Labs Forum

Saddle Guns

You are right. In fact, any frigate or larger could have a bow chaser or two. All the crew had to do is move one broadside cannon to the bow. Most ships were fitted with bridle ports for this or else had their railings modified to allow a gun to shoot forward. There really is no science to it: a gun isn't that heavy (think about how many sailors [and how much they weigh] could move around freely to stand near the rails without negatively affecting the ship's trim or falling through the deck) and the recoil is easy to account for with the proper gun tackle.

I made a suggestion a while ago to give all ships bow and stern chasers to add more diversity to ships you see being sailed in OW. Right now there are loads of nice ships in the game that rarely are taken into OW except by new players who don't know that the ship they are in is no good for PvP, or the players who only care about PvE. You don't *need* bow chasers to PvP with a ship, but they sure do help when everybody you tag tries to run.

Here is the old thread: 

In that thread, I made another related suggestion regarding control/escaping battles in the last post in that thread. I thought it was pretty clever since it involved a modified "area control" function and precise tagging ranges so that bow chasers aren't needed to keep an enemy in battle. 

Anyways, I hope we see some chasers added to these ships eventually. Maybe you'd see people sailing the Essex or Belle Poule to hunt with if they had chasers...

5 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

In recent conversations I've been against anything that makes all ships the same, but I don't think its crazy for all frigates (who had the option) to get bow chasers.. In this case its historical, and expanding the ability of ships that are otherwise at a huge disadvantage not having chaser guns.

Exactly. Think about it, what frigates do you see most in OW PvP? Surprise, Trinc, Endy, Connie, PFrig, L'Hermione, and Renom. All of those have bow chasers except for Renom, which makes up for her lack of those with the very high speed. When was the last time you saw an Essex or Belle Poule or Cerberus out hunting alone? Or even in a group for that matter...sure, Cerb makes for a dirt cheap support ship but would be used an awful lot more if it had chasers I bet.

I think giving all of the frigates bow and stern chasers would really add a nice spread of ships to the OW.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2017 at 9:33 PM, Willis PVP2 said:

Exactly. Think about it, what frigates do you see most in OW PvP? Surprise, Trinc, Endy, Connie, PFrig, L'Hermione, and Renom. All of those have bow chasers except for Renom, which makes up for her lack of those with the very high speed. When was the last time you saw an Essex or Belle Poule or Cerberus out hunting alone? Or even in a group for that matter...sure, Cerb makes for a dirt cheap support ship but would be used an awful lot more if it had chasers I bet.

I think giving all of the frigates bow and stern chasers would really add a nice spread of ships to the OW.

image.jpeg.9869a7278c337df6477f60ab119bc782.jpeg

I think the best comparison is Endy and Reno, why would Endy have all chasers and not Reno?

I agree, they all should have bow and stern chasers, I think that would bring so much more variety.