Game-Labs Forum

New patch in progress (Updated 21/2/2015)

Nick Thomadis

*UPDATE* 21/2/2015
We are really sorry for the delay of the patch. We would like to inform that it is ready and getting prepared for release. The last cunning bug that plagued the new improved multiplayer has been fixed. This weekend we produce the builds to upload on all platforms.

The updated patch notes will be published together with the release of the patch!

OLD ANNOUNCEMENT
-------------
Hello Generals,

2014 has been a great year for our first game project. Ultimate General: Gettysburg has been greenlit on Steam, and after passing Early Access stage it was successfully fully released on 16th October.
Thanks to your awesome support, the game is continuously improved. In the beginning of next year we are going to release the tablet version and a big update for the PC version.

Here is the current patch notes list for the upcoming update (
not final updated 24/1/2015):

NEW FEATURES
- Melee and Fire: Units will be able to shoot each other while in melee creating a realistic battle havoc.

Night, Dawn and Evening Battles: You will feel the importance of daylight that changes dynamically according to time of day and affects the visibility and accuracy of your units.  Especially the speculative night battles of the 2nd day offer a spectacular variance to the epic conflict between the two sides.

Artillery limbering: Battles become much more realistic with this feature. To enable you simply draw a large enough movement arrow and the artillery will auto-limber and deploy to destination.

- New icons indicate in Morale bar if the unit is at melee, is targeted or receives a morale boost.
- New icons indicate not only the kills but also the losses of units (for General units too).
- Global chat added to waiting room of a battle, so that you can ask others to join you.

MULTIPLAYER
- Fix of some reinforcements delaying too much to arrive.
- Fix of some multiplayer objectives not being able to be captured easily.
- Fix of very small battle delay for battle "Chance to change history".
- "Chance to change history" map is now simulating the full day 1 of the battle, from the morning when Buford tries to delay the Confederates, till the evening when the Confederates swarm the Union forces.
- +1 New Multiplayer map with name "Night Assault".

- Fix of a crash bug when using Steam chat.

GAMEPLAY
- AI will evaluate strategic positions and cover much more efficiently.
- AI will be able to choose to double quick its units when it is needed, a behaviour that works very well for the human player and can be used to overwhelm the AI. 
- AI will be able to deploy artillery even better, to gain fire superiority from distance or support fire lines.

- AI will use its Generals much more effectively, supporting needed areas of the conflict.

- AI will manually fall back as the human player much more efficiently.

- AI will make defensive line formations facing always the nearest threat as a human player.
- Slight reduce of artillery vulnerability to direct ranged attack (requested in forum).
- Some undesirable too slow soldier movement issues will be resolved.

BATTLE FLOW

- Several fixes and improvements for proper continuation of the battle.

- CSA Johnson Division may arrive at the 3rd battle phase of the 1st day.

- Stannard's Brigade may reinforce Cemetery Hill if the 2nd battle phase of the 1st day is much delayed.

BUG FIXES
- Fix of music volume reseting after a play session.
- Major Fix of AI bug ignoring sometimes the nearby threats and exposing flanks.
- Fix random freeze when exiting MP menu.
- Fix of not going to Battle lobby after the end of a multiplayer match.
- Fix of multiplayer force bars that could show wrong balance of forces.
- Fix of "traitor" bug that could result units to target friendlies.

- Fix of "ghost" bug that made units to target dead enemies.

- Fix of saves sometimes malfunctioning AI and melee collision. 

- Fix of targeting bug that sometimes made units to not fire at a targeted enemy.

All your requests will be monitored to add more during the development of this update.

We wish you a playful, healthy and happy 2015,

The Game-Labs Team

• Like 7

Will you look into the AI brigades chasing after small videttes, sharpshooters etc issue.

I can send you various simple to reproduce scenarios.

If those AI brigades helped with the main battle and did not get distracted the AI would have significant help in some scenarios using it's extra brigades to help out.

My logic suggestion for an AI brigade  is:

1. if enemy brigade is much smaller than you and you have fired at it twice and done nothing (as it's so far away) then ignore it and go help elsewhere. In 1.03 brigades just stand and fire at small sharpshooters/videttes etc doing no damage, not routing them and wasting time when they could go help with the main thrust to win a VP.

2. if enemy brigade is much small than you and you have fired at it twice and done nothing (as it's in cover or whatever)  then move closer/charge to rout it. Don't just waste time firing and firing doing nothing.

Rich

• Like 1

Will you look into the AI brigades chasing after small videttes, sharpshooters etc issue.

I can send you various simple to reproduce scenarios.

If those AI brigades helped with the main battle and did not get distracted the AI would have significant help in some scenarios using it's extra brigades to help out.

My logic suggestion for an AI brigade  is:

1. if enemy brigade is much smaller than you and you have fired at it twice and done nothing (as it's so far away) then ignore it and go help elsewhere. In 1.03 brigades just stand and fire at small sharpshooters/videttes etc doing no damage, not routing them and wasting time when they could go help with the main thrust to win a VP.

2. if enemy brigade is much small than you and you have fired at it twice and done nothing (as it's in cover or whatever)  then move closer/charge to rout it. Don't just waste time firing and firing doing nothing.

Rich

Yes Richard it will be addressed this or at least toned down significantly.

They say I've never had an account with Steam.

I've sent them the game code etc - they are in complete denial that I've registered with them.

I had that problem couple years ago I had to create an entire new account and rebuy most my games. I ended up doing Game Emulators for most my Total War games cause I refused to rebuy them all over...

Theoretically, if he has the paypal purchase receipts they could link them to his account.

From my experience this takes weeks but in the end it works... if he sent the game codes it's basically the same but it's a big pain to wait. There's no live chat nor phone and they answer very slowly at times.

I don't know if this is implemented into the game or not, but would it be logical and/or authentic for sharpshooters (only) to be able to target generals? Also, I expect this to be added in later in time, but should each regiment be more eccentric in their own way (if that's how you word it)? For example the Irish brigade should have less firepower than their fellow Yankees at long ranges since they were equipped with smooth-bore muskets. Maybe, the Stonewall brigade has a higher rating of melee and conditioning due to their training.

I don't know if this is implemented into the game or not, but would it be logical and/or authentic for sharpshooters (only) to be able to target generals? Also, I expect this to be added in later in time, but should each regiment be more eccentric in their own way (if that's how you word it)? For example the Irish brigade should have less firepower than their fellow Yankees at long ranges since they were equipped with smooth-bore muskets. Maybe, the Stonewall brigade has a higher rating of melee and conditioning due to their training.

Sharpshooters should have a higher range and yes a higher chance to hit generals, however do note that most DIV generals are not in right now, as for the BDE generals, they were so close to the lines that they got killed by all kinds of shooters. Probably we'll see both in the near future. ;)

• Like 2

Looking forward to the patch!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to repost but I ran into a serious bug and wanted to make sure it was in the right place. 

So I thought a Christmas round of UGG was in order and was engaged in an excellent fight for Oak Ridge when suddenly Perrin moved his brigade forward. Naturally I turned my guns to Perrin only to find my troops would not fire. Even right beside Perrin's brigade they would not target Perrin, the same was true of my artillery. Perrin, meanwhile, could target. Finally in confusion and desperation I moved my skirmishers forward as an experiment to see if I could charge. My men would not charge Perrin but instead the men behind him. I assumed at least this would cause my men to hit his brigade. Alas, my men ran straight through the Rebels while Perrin's men continued to fire unabated. 

Needless to say, I broke my rule of no restarts. 

Has anyone else encountered these Magical Confederates or their Union Counterparts?

Happy Holidays!

• Like 2

Hi Nick & the UGG team,

Best wishes for the New Year.  You guys have done a fantastic job of taking on the challenging and controversial topic of Gettysburg and providing hours of entertainment in the process.

Thanks for your efforts and I'm looking forward to seeing your next project!

Holiday Cheer to the Forum Community!

• Like 3

Hi David sorry ur having problems with Steam, hope you get it resolved m8 miss ur posts regarding the ACW  and specifically UGG. Get well soon.  B)  

They say I've never had an account with Steam.

I've sent them the game code etc - they are in complete denial that I've registered with them.

Happy New Year to everyone!
I just included in the patch notes some new improvements that are coming on the next update and remind that we still monitor your requests to enrich the content of the game. Thank you really for your kind support.

We wish you a playful, healthy and happy 2015,

The Game-Labs Team

• Like 3

I presume that the Player can do quick time, as you say in your new patch notes. However, let me point out to you that the quick tim eoption is never mentioned in the game documentation or tutorials. There is a "run" button and it appears to perform that function, but the lack of specific discussion on how and when to do it and what the "costs" and trade-offs are to accomplish it are totally absent. The parameters of the RUN function were only divined by a trial-and-error process during a game. As I suspected, to RUN a brigade is to watch its CONDITION level sink like the Titanic over time. Resting the unit at the end of a run, however, did work to make to damage caused by running a repairable effect. This should be covered in the game documentation and tutorials. It is not.

But, don't get me wrong: I applaud the patching efforts. Your responsiveness to your customers is laudable. But a cautious caveat: Do not be too quick to respond to every whim and myopic idea dreamed up by the players. There is an overall simulation philosophy at work here and that needs to be preseerved so that the game is a harmonious and stylistic rendering of the designer's vision and intent. That doesn't mean you stop improving and perfecting the design; just remember that that which is broken in haste is often repaired at leisure. Enjoy!

• Like 2