43 members have voted

1. 1. Which Server would you Play on.

• PvE Server
    • PvP/PvE Server
    • PvP Server
    • Dont Support the Idea
  2. 2. Support the Idea ?

Suggestion is Simple.

Currently we only got PvP and PvE and either complain if they are taken just a bit to the other side.

So lets make 3 Server Types.

1. PvE Server

Only PvP us Portbattles. And PvP Event Battles that need to be Joined Voluntarily (like Duels)

Hostility is raised or reduced by Missions against NPCs

Clans cannot Close Conquered Ports to other Nations so Buildings and Outposts can stay in the Port even if it git Conquered. Just the Tax now to the other Nation.

2. PvP/PvE Server

Each not Contested Port has a Full Safezone for its own Nation.

Contested Ports have a Safezone for their Nation but it will be very Small only Directly around the Port (distance were Port Name Shows)

Open Sea will be OvP Area.

(Non Contestable Ports are thus a Safezone for New Players as well)

3. PvP Server

PvP Rewards are Increased to 150-200%

Only Safezone is the Capital and it only Counts for 6th Rate or Smaller Ships.

I doubt the PvP Server will be running for long. But when it gets closed. Maybe the very vocal Hardcore PvPers will finally understand why Safezones are Importand for a Game.

Tell me if you Support it and Vote on which Server you would like to Play.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rickard said:

so the population will be split again? no, thank you.

A better idea would be to have 1 server with a place for PVEers (in the safe zones and around the capitals), PVPers (outside the safe zones) and RVRers (across the whole OW but mainly around border regions).

Problem is you will never have oeace that way.

The Hardcore PvPers will always whine the Forums about Removing Safezones or Punish PvE Players.

And the PvE Players will never Stay in a Game if they cant do their thing without being ganked by other Players.

11 minutes ago, Hodo said:

One server PVP server is all this game needs.  No more no less.  

Well. If you want to have the Servers closed im a few years as nobody plays anymore. That is all you need indeed

You never learn you lesson:

You can not force PVP on people who do not want to. And because developers catered to very vocal PVP minority, this game with so much potential, lost most of it player base.  

Instead of reducing Safe zones,  and trying to figure out the way to push players to PVP you should ask to create some mechanics that help you find  PVP oriented players for you to play with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rickard said:

I disagree, the players have been whining because the devs have not drawn lines about what this game is gonna be in the future so they try to sway the opinion in their direction. if Naval Action would have had 1 server for everyone where all players can do what they want respectively this whole discussion would have never existed.

PVPers hunt and fight outside the safe zone unless they think they can take on the reinforcements, PVEers trade, craft and fight AI inside or close to the safe zones. RVRers are basically everywhere.  

Furthermore is the idea of a separate PVP and PVE server, not even that well thought through since on both server players are required to build ships and thus perform PVE tasks on a PVP server but yeah I guess some people just nagged the devs ears off so now we have a separate PVE server. 

Have been Online in Games for nearly 20 Years now. And I can tell you for Sure.

Players ALWAYS no matter how clear it is.

Try to sway the Game into their Direction ^^

And thing is. If its not their way they leave.

In our case Safezones being removed was the PvP swing and we ended up with tons of people leaving the Game.

They added em back and it recovers now. But pretty slowly.

But you could also see it as a chance.

If I get it right. What you would want is the Mixed Server.

So having 3 Servers for now would at least make clear were it should go in the Future ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickard said:

I still don't like the idea of a third server. sorry.

Well. As many Opinions as thete are People on this World.

If we cant agree on the Topic we will just have to agree that we are in disagreement :P

I think it would be a Good Way to end the Whining and give everyone a Place in this Game in the way he likes it.

• Like 1

@Sunleader

Its a valid topic and you know I'm a one state universe guy but I need to see why so many  senior players insist on the three states. I haven't seen in my opinion a good enough reason on any basis.

You made a valid point that throwing more PvP is not really the answer but ground up content regarding longevity

Use [PvP Global] as the proper testbed without risking the other two. Right now you'll never get a one state universe. The three steps surely will tell you  if it could really work. The testbed cannot do this in all honestly...

31 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

My suggestion (stolen from MR Doomed I think) is 1 PVE serve as nowr, 1 server PVE + port conquest (no OW PVP), and 1 PVP server as now (maybe remove safe zones). 

Well.

I am Fairly Sure in a General Sense this Suggestion was made several times already with just Minor differences.

Some guys voting for my PvP Server with nerfed PvE Rewards but denying the other Servers is also not surprising as some People really dont seem to get that the others then dont become victims for them but simply leave entirely.

Its a bit of a mess right now.

Many of the Moderate Players left when the Safezones were removed. So we mostly got the pure PvE Plsyers and the Hardcore PvPers left.

Which makes getting new things through oretty hard

34 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Sunleader

Its a valid topic and you know I'm a one state universe guy but I need to see why so many  senior players insist on the three states. I haven't seen in my opinion a good enough reason on any basis.

You made a valid point that throwing more PvP is not really the answer but ground up content regarding longevity

Use [PvP Global] as the proper testbed without risking the other two. Right now you'll never get a one state universe. The three steps surely will tell you  if it could really work. The testbed cannot do this in all honestly...

Whats the Base Rules for OW on Step 3

Is it PvE Rules till Civil War which alliws PvP either around the Ports or between two Port owning Clans.

Or is it just PvP without Nations?

All depends what you want to TEST... for me selfishly I would like to have [PvP Global] test the full blown over One server state.

PvE area surrounded by PvP more regulated world like PB times that then opens out further to an open world... three rings than steps?

Like you said we can't all agree. Use the Global server with its numbers to properly test the ideas without damaging the game by lurching from one idea to the next

21 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go // NeeRo said:

Delete PvE from this game and only make it available like old small battles, to test new ships or some stuff.

If you sail out you are looking for PvP.

Sorry I completely disagree Jon. PvE is what gives the backbone, lore or history to the whole thing. Without it Naval Action dosen't work. As a standalone server that is a separate question...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go // NeeRo said:

Delete PvE from this game

Here is the deal with that, you are not going to force people to PVP, you are just going to shed MORE players. My proposal would be to have a PVP only server, without PVE, micro transactions to buy ships after they sink, and a PVE server where nothing is sold bought by AI, player crafted items only, subscription based. No exp/gold shall pass between the two.

2 hours ago, Sunleader said:

Well. If you want to have the Servers closed im a few years as nobody plays anymore. That is all you need indeed

At the current rate of decline, we are looking at months if nothing is changed. 

We did indeed.

Gladly as they added back Safezones the decay of the Userbase has slowed and this Month even started to reverse.

I myself came back after I heard they added them. Would have come back right when they did it of course. But its not like people keep an eye on this all the time.

So nope.

If they just leave the Safezones as they are now (maybe adjust them a bit on the Nations who sit tight together and overlap)

Its fairly safe that Playerbase should Recover Slowly.

A Bigger Update which gets the News out so People actually notice the Safezones are back. Would likely help to recover a good chunk at once.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Sorry I completely disagree Jon. PvE is what gives the backbone, lore or history to the whole thing. Without it Naval Action dosen't work.

Hey thats cool, but care to explain what you mean by that? This game has no lore and the only historic parts are the ships and the map, which have nothing to do with PvE.

PvE missions are always the same, without any context, impact or interaction. Sail to x and kill random NPCs. End of story.

Then we have the OW fleets, sailing without any purpose from A to B, completely linear without reacting to anything a player does. Its not realistic, its not historic and it adds 0 immersion to the game.

25 minutes ago, Mpat120 said:

Here is the deal with that, you are not going to force people to PVP, you are just going to shed MORE players.

I dont force anyone to PvP, if they want to do PvE you can still do that from inside a harbour (instead of sailing to a random location close to your port which isnt a real difference anyway tbh) or on the PvE server.

26 minutes ago, Mpat120 said:

My proposal would be to have a PVP only server, without PVE,  and a PVE server

Same

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go // NeeRo said:

Hey thats cool, but care to explain what you mean by that?

Fair point Jon, was more thinking at the launch rather than right now. The basic lead in to someone who's complete new. I've stated elsewhere PB based around the EPICs for good Co-op storyline missions to build the back story. Completely rip-off of Hi-Sec EvE Online

No.

Just provide (meaningless) PBs and simple lobbies to the PvE server and then you and all the other 'PVE + once in a blue moon PvP if I really really really want to bother with it" can piss off to that server instead.

4 hours ago, Rickard said:

PVPers hunt and fight outside the safe zone unless they think they can take on the reinforcements, PVEers trade, craft and fight AI inside or close to the safe zones. RVRers are basically everywhere.  

The flaw in that is that PVE players usually want to go EVERYWHERE, not be locked into small "safe zones".  They just want to sail, explore, see new things, and not get jacked and lose week's progress in their PVE game every time a bored PVP kiddie comes along.  PVE in Naval Action is suck, but I'm a 100% PVE player in another game where the PVE is pretty good.  I would not be playing that game at all if I was locked into "safe zones".  Getting out and exploring the world at leisure is the whole point for many PVE players. 

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

25 minutes ago, Rickard said:

This is an MMO not a single player game, if you want to go everywhere you will have to leave the safe zone and meet other players no matter how scared you are.

That might be your game, but it's a completely different game to other players.  Players are going to "vote with their feet" and leave if you try to force them into a box that doesn't interest them.  It isn't a matter of being "scared".  Nobody's "scared" of pixels.  It's a matter of not wanting to waste your time trying to make progress at a goal that interests you, then having someone else screw it up and waste many hours of your time.  PVE players usually love to meet other players - in a peaceful and cooperative manner.

56 minutes ago, Rickard said:

This is an MMO not a single player game, if you want to go everywhere you will have to leave the safe zone and meet other players no matter how scared you are.

No Offense Mate.

But if you look around. Most MMOs actually have VEEEEERY Tight Limits on PvP.

The Idea of Safezones is actually pretty old. And was more common in the Early 2D MMOs in 200x

Modern MMOs have long Realized that Open World PvP is a very Dangerous Element for a Game that can easily Crush the Player Economy as well as causing massive loss of Players and prevent New Players from Joining due to Frustration.

You See Mate.

The Fact unfortunately is that especially in Skillbased Games. An PvE Player will NEVER Beat an PvPer in PvP. Because Battlestyle between PvE and PvP is just too different. Skills, Equipment, Strategy and even the Objective of the Battle are an entirely different thing for PvP than they are in PvE.

Which means that to most PvE Oriented Players will by Default always end up Killed in PvP.

Just for example. In PvP Agility is much more Importand. Yet in PvE its almost useless. In PvE people will go for Armor and Gunpower because beating an NPC who can Sail against the Wind and turn his Ship on the Spot much faster than you can possibly get around him. Agility is Useless. He wont Run away either so you dont need Speed really. But NPCs ability to Snipe on crazy Distances and their Raw Stat Buffs mean that you do need Gunpower and Armor. All of which is effectively an Death Sentence in PvP cause people will dance Circles around you.

Open World where People can Attack others while they are Hunting NPCs thus is effectively not even PvP to most but just results in Ganking. Cause the Victor is decided beforehand. To an PvE Player there is no Chance to Fend off an Attacker or Escape. So to him this is just an Russian Roulette Random Death Chance that costs him Time and Frustration.

And another Fact is that 90% of the Economy is usually Run by PvE Players which Grind NPCs, Trade and Craft Stuff. So if PvE Players are prevented from actually Running. Or worse start Running Away. The Games Player Economy usually Collapses. This has in Fact already happened in Naval Action PvP Server. Shops are 90% Empty aside from NPC Offers. Players who are not Part of a Clan have no Chance to get most Ships because Simply Nobody Sells em at all. Which increases the Grind Tenfold and causes even more Frustration while also preventing any New Players from getting a Foothold in the Game.

Hardly any Open World MMO allows PvP in most of the World anymore they usually all use small PvP Zones keeping 90% of the World as an non PvP Zone. And the very few Open World MMOs that do have PvP in the Main World and only prevent it in Limited Safezones have Harsh Penalties if you Kill others. Like putting Big Bounties on your Head which you have to Pay if you Die. Or having you Hunted by NPCs constantly. Or even by decreasing your Stats and Level once your Caught. Some go so far that you cant even Enter Cities anymore.

If you take the Population of the 3-4 MMOs that currently neither Limit PvP to very small Areas nor Add Severe Penalties for Killing People. You would likely not even get 500 People in Primetime together. Needless to say that these Games usually close their Servers after very few Years simply because its not really profitable to keep the Server open for 50-100 People online....

So Your Argument there is Heavily Flawed.

In an MMO your Actually usually Pretty Safe to go everywhere except an very Limited Area thats designated clearly as a Warzone.

• Like 1