Game-Labs Forum

how to fire mortars

Herman Melville

Question

How do you aim and fire the mortars on the mortar brig?  In combat, they are not listed with the cannons.  I tried "m" but that only brought up the fleet map and there didn't seem to be any way to aim or fire from that screen.  Presuming they do actually fire, do they fire one at a time or both at once?  In aiming, do you aim at the target or choose an angle of trajectory?  How does one tell how the reload process is coming?

7 answers to this question

Remember you have a min and max range.  The best thing is to get a trader and tag it and than go into battle and pratice on someting like a fort/tower even if it's a nuetral one that doesn't fire.  It always starts with the mortars facing you Starboard (right) side so remember that.  You can't fire to forward or after as your mast will get in the way.  You basicly want to be 90 degrees form the target for best shots.  Currently we are missing our red aim dot so it's a lot harder to hit Forts on land and even some of the towers cause you can't see your aiming circle.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 9:33 PM, Herman Melville said:

Didn't really answer the basic question.  What keyboard key do you use to fire mortars?  Since canons are also on the starboard side, a mouse click or space bar will simply fire the cannons.  

I didn't list press K cause several others said that.   Though I do think it would be nice if some one did a  short video of how to run one.  I suck at doing those things.....

2 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

we need a Bad Pirate Guide from you fella on this... your insights tips  and tricks... priceless

I don't do the video capture thing, but would be nice if some one did. I have a few mods and ship knowledge on mine to make that thing a beast. Almost maxed out reload with mods to help with the accuracy and rocking of the ship.  You have to remember to play with your sails and the wind to get it so the waves don't rock you so much and than once you get targeted in you pretty much don't have to move at all and just click your mouse every time it reloads. I think I had it down pre-patch to taking towers down in the old style port battles to under 20 mins solo.  Forts take about 50+ hits to kill, Towers are about 18 hits.   The base of the forts (structure bar) can take about 150 hits before it's destroyed so you want to be hitting center and taking away from the bow bar (the fort it self) since it only takes about 50 hits.  Each ball does around 400-600 dagme.  That is a broad side of most 4th rates.  So you hit something with 4 balls it's going to screw up there day big time.  

The other way to practice them is with team work.  Get a buddy that is great at demasting and go do a solo 1st rate mission.  Have him demast the ship and than pratice your mortar briging on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman Melville said:

How do you aim and fire the mortars on the mortar brig?  In combat, they are not listed with the cannons.  I tried "m" but that only brought up the fleet map and there didn't seem to be any way to aim or fire from that screen.  Presuming they do actually fire, do they fire one at a time or both at once?  In aiming, do you aim at the target or choose an angle of trajectory?  How does one tell how the reload process is coming?

Press K

Stop your mortar brig perpendicular to your target. As you were told, the mortar defaults pointed starboard. It can be turned around but takes a long time. Press the K key. The will being up an aiming spot that you want to try and lay over your target. Once aimed in this way. Left mouse click fires both mortars, space bar fires one at a time. Keep watching the target area. The ball is in the air a long time. 

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:02 AM, Sir Texas Sir said:

Remember you have a min and max range.  The best thing is to get a trader and tag it and than go into battle and pratice on someting like a fort/tower even if it's a nuetral one that doesn't fire.  It always starts with the mortars facing you Starboard (right) side so remember that.  You can't fire to forward or after as your mast will get in the way.  You basicly want to be 90 degrees form the target for best shots.  Currently we are missing our red aim dot so it's a lot harder to hit Forts on land and even some of the towers cause you can't see your aiming circle.

we need a Bad Pirate Guide from you fella on this... your insights tips  and tricks... priceless