Game-Labs Forum

Very Impressive!

LAVA

After 230 hours, I have finished both the Union and the Confederate campaigns on Major General (normal) level of difficulty.

2dEf50y.png

aaxxXpx.png

Sure you all are familiar with those screens.

Nevertheless, I have to say that this was probably one of the most impressive strategy games I have played in a long time. In fact, I was playing Hearts of Iron 4, but it just wasn't doing it for me when I bumped into this game on a forum and tried it out. I started right off the bat with the Union Campaign, understanding the normal setting was fairly difficult and figured the Union Campaign would be more forgiving than the Confederate. I immediately fell in love with the game and just couldn't stop playing it. So many times I found myself in nail biting situations in which winning actually made me shout out "Hurrah!"

Of course, for an old guy like me, the game was very reminiscent of Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which I loved to death. But I have to say that the campaigns were far more elegantly programmed and the overall atmosphere not only historically fascinating but far more intense. The Battle Management system was a magnificent feature which really sucked you into the game and the campaigns. I have never seen such an intricate system like that and I have to say it is nothing short of first class.

The only thing that I would have liked would have been to have had a far more historic system of giving commands on the battlefield. As a tester for the game "Take Command 1861" by Mad Minute Games (later to be know as the Scourge of War series) I know that such a system was a real hurdle to program correctly and even so, was very difficult for folks to use as they are so used to micromanaging units. As such, that system added a degree of complexity to the game which many found too difficult to embrace. So I can understand, giving the depth of UGCV why such a system probably wasn't necessary. It certainly didn't take away from my experience, but it would have been one of those features a real grognard like me would have appreciated.

In closing I would just like to express my appreciation for a really well programmed and tested game. I had a fantastic time playing the two campaigns and am sure after playing a few battles I will return and try the campaigns again on Major General.

Well done, thanks again for your effort and hoping there will be a follow-on!

• Like 8

7 hours ago, LAVA said:

a far more historic system of giving commands on the battlefield.

If you are looking for that, History Channel: Great Battles of Rome has a neat system where your commands take time to reach the units depending on how far they are from you, and you have a set capacity of messengers. It's an older game and felt a bit clunky, but that feature was super neat.

Hey LAVA,

Thx for expressing so well what I also feel for UGCV, and I did love Sid Meier's Gettysburg too. ;)

Considering the dynamism of the DEV team, diversity of projects and their skill for graphism, we definately can hope that there will be new series with great results that will make our day.

cheers 

On 10/1/2017 at 2:16 AM, kumisz said:

If you are looking for that, History Channel: Great Battles of Rome has a neat system where your commands take time to reach the units depending on how far they are from you, and you have a set capacity of messengers. It's an older game and felt a bit clunky, but that feature was super neat.

I like the idea. But in this game you would have Winfield Scott Hancock of II Corps with his intrepid telegraph operator keying in distress messages for supporting reinforcements from the Mule Shoe, and Grant ordering divisional reinforcements from VI Corps within minutes.

Big difference. 

1 hour ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I like the idea. But in this game you would have Winfield Scott Hancock of II Corps with his intrepid telegraph operator keying in distress messages for supporting reinforcements from the Mule Shoe, and Grant ordering divisional reinforcements from VI Corps within minutes.

Big difference between this and Flavius wearing out a pair of sandals looking for a horse. :P