Game-Labs Forum

Locked deck view = immersion

The deck view in battle is an option, so you or those who want too can use it all the time if they like. I use it in pve A LOT, but not in pvp.

Trying to get policy to force all players to play the game how you want is not good for player options or enjoyment. Please dont kid yourself, this game is not in any way historical or realistic, its a bunch of nerds pretending to be on a tall ship , pretending to be working hard in unforgiving sea's with rough men and unlimited ammunition to go win the day and drink rum afterwards. Its a game, and forcing players to do a first person view in battle will only ruin the game for many other players.

Lets keep players options open so all can enjoy the game how they like too.

• Like 1

Not unless I can walk all over the ship and climb to the crows nest.. it doesn't. You have hundreds of men ... a single deck view to sail and aim guns? Seems as unrealistic as the current view.. and  lot more limiting for no good reason...  Not when you are trying to simulate the info from the Captain Officer, Gun Capitans and Sailing MAster into a single person(You)

Wouldn't it be great if you can save various camera positions? Use home to find a nice spot and save it. You can then pan around from that position...and toggle between various saved camera positions. Say save a Quarterdeck spot, a Fo'c'sle spot, a Waist spot, a Fore topmast lookout spot, etc, say 6 savable view spots..that would be awesome. :D

• Like 2

Something as simple as giving us a selection of 2-3 fixed preset camera positions would be simple to implement and go a long way to those of us who'd prefer to pretend to be a captain instead of a drone hovering behind the ship. The current fixed camera is pretty horrible since you can't see what in front when blocked by the main mast. An option to increase the field of view would also help.

Suggested something similar as a matchmaking option for NA: Legends if it gets a sufficiently large playerbase to cope with the current match lengths and queues.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, drwalker54 said:

I'm new to NA so if this topic has come up before, forgive me.

Would it be feasible to offer an option for a "Deck View Only"in battle? Other games I've played have had a choice to limit players to cockpit view only (racing games, aircraft, etc.) and the immersion factor (for me) was significantly increased. This game is beautiful when mouse-scrolled all the way in and the combat is so much more challenging! I mostly play PvE and love to captain from the deck, but understand that it would be unfair to battle in PvP with one player zoomed in and one using a God-like overhead view. Perhaps an option before battle begins to choose "Deck View Only"? Real sailors would love this.

I do like the idea of this.

Would like the "current" fixed view just move back a tad. It's just framed in too close.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:39 AM, PIerrick de Badas said:

noone would love it sorry. Maybe sailors but no gamer so it's a fake feature

It turns out that there are at least a dozen people that do, look at the "likes"...oh I see, you said "love it" not like it, I guess you are right!

As far as I'm concerned, I do love the idea and I had asked about it in the past and I'm glad someone is bringing it back up. I think this would be a great addition for an immersive game play on the PvE sever. Making battle instances all take place from the quarter deck view would be a fantastic idea.

@drwalker54 thanks for the suggestion and pictures.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 5:04 PM, admin said:

the view from deck and balconies during combat would be awesome and will be done in one of the future games (in single player). In the current game deck view is possible but requires tweaking the camera (using home) but only works from the fixed position but still provides some screen shot and video making options.

I am very glad to read this. In fact, the inability to control the ship from the deck is one of the things that is currently keeping me from buying this beautiful game. I look at all the YouTube videos and I just get tired of all the jumping in and out of the ship. Watching the ships from above makes them look like small digital toy boats, which in my opinion is a shame because they are so carefully and beautifully modeled in great detail from nearby. Perhaps I'm just getting old, I don't know. Anyhow, reading this thread gives me the impression that I'm not the only one who would find this important. Some people even reported that the current camera system makes them feel nauseous, which I could imagine.

Would it be possible to give a tiny bit more info on the plans for the 'future single player game' mentioned above? Of course, I understand no promises can be made. But any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Killick