Game-Labs Forum

Locked deck view = immersion

I'm new to NA so if this topic has come up before, forgive me.

Would it be feasible to offer an option for a "Deck View Only"in battle? Other games I've played have had a choice to limit players to cockpit view only (racing games, aircraft, etc.) and the immersion factor (for me) was significantly increased. This game is beautiful when mouse-scrolled all the way in and the combat is so much more challenging! I mostly play PvE and love to captain from the deck, but understand that it would be unfair to battle in PvP with one player zoomed in and one using a God-like overhead view. Perhaps an option before battle begins to choose "Deck View Only"? Real sailors would love this.

Edited by drwalker54
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, drwalker54 said:

I guess I view NA as more of a simulator than a game. I'm more interested in history and accuracy than power-ups and trophies.

the view from deck and balconies during combat would be awesome and will be done in one of the future games (in single player). In the current game deck view is possible but requires tweaking the camera (using home) but only works from the fixed position but still provides some screen shot and video making options.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, admin said:

the view from deck and balconies during combat would be awesome and will be done in one of the future games (in single player). In the current game deck view is possible but requires tweaking the camera (using home) but only works from the fixed position but still provides some screen shot and video making options.

Thanks, I'll look forward to that. 

A few years ago I had the privilege of spending a month aboard the US Brig Niagara as a volunteer crew member, and re-creating the feeling of being on deck or up in the rigging would be an excellent addition to this remarkable project.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

27.jpg

35.jpg

• Like 11

I like the idea. If I'm remembering correctly, the proper view for the capt. would be quarter deck, weather rail. There should also be a lookout on the bow and one in the tops. Then we also have the balloon view with the home key which I find awesome. I often sail from the deck but will say I get irked at having the mast in front of my face and not able to take one rail or the other for a better view of where I am going. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EdWatchmaker said:

I like the idea. If I'm remembering correctly, the proper view for the capt. would be quarter deck, weather rail. There should also be a lookout on the bow and one in the tops. Then we also have the balloon view with the home key which I find awesome. I often sail from the deck but will say I get irked at having the mast in front of my face and not able to take one rail or the other for a better view of where I am going. 

I agree. The mast is assuredly in the way. Quarterdeck view would be optimal. The see-through sails are very useful however.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EdWatchmaker said:

Thanks so much for the photos. WOW, what a way to start the work day. I'll be having them in my head all day and can't wait till I get home so I can study them. I'm absolutely GREEN with envy.

Thanks buddy. Trip of a lifetime.

23 minutes ago, EdWatchmaker said:

Thanks so much for the photos. WOW, what a way to start the work day. I'll be having them in my head all day and can't wait till I get home so I can study them. I'm absolutely GREEN with envy.

Had I been on that ship I would have been green too... but not with envy. 

I get sea sick easy.

12 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

What's the point of that if pressing M reveals GPS accurate map of the entire battle?

Immersion, my friend. Feeling like you're on the deck of a fighting ship in the Age of Sail rather than playing a computer game in 2017 with GPS. I suppose you could disable the real-time Map for an even more authentic experience.

Not for everyone, I'll admit. But having the choice to play more like a sailing/fighting simulator than an arcade game would be nice.

Edited by drwalker54

@Quineloe Right but you can scroll out and the camera view from the deck is limited.

Looking at this a different way you might have a separate game mode like sim battles in WT which is cockpit only with no map or markers. Admin replied that a more extensive deck view camera system might work in a future single player game.

Edited by DeRuyter
  • Like 1

@drwalker54Nice photos of the Niagara btw. I had planned a trip to sail on her this summer but had to cancel. I do have some photos form OPSail 2000 in NYC. I was sailing on the Kalmar Nyckel and I had my camera up in the fighting top and got some nice shots of Niagara.

There have been other suggestions to have camera views on the QD, FC, in the tops and on the masthead. Not necessarily views from the captains location but certainly crew and lookout views.

4 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

@drwalker54Nice photos of the Niagara btw. I had planned a trip to sail on her this summer but had to cancel. I do have some photos form OPSail 2000 in NYC. I was sailing on the Kalmar Nyckel and I had my camera up in the fighting top and got some nice shots of Niagara.

There have been other suggestions to have camera views on the QD, FC, in the tops and on the masthead. Not necessarily views from the captains location but certainly crew and lookout views.

Thank you sir, she's a fine vessel. I hope to get another chance to sail with her soon. 

I'm very much enjoying NA thus far and hope the Devs continue to make progress along these lines.

5 hours ago, admin said:

It would be very helpful to be able to view the action from the deck (with the home key) and still be able to control the ship.  

I'm away travelling and not able to play the game.  Have we changed the camera (Home key) view recently.   Previously I had the option to move around on the deck and in the rigging.  The limitation with the camera view was we relinquished all of the ships controls.  Too bad really.

I can't see how it would hurt anyone if we had a choice to use a limited camera view (close to the ship) and still be able to sail and operate the cannons.  Or even just be able to sail.

• Like 1

Beautiful pictures, that is another ship on my bucket list.

I would also love the quarterdeck view in game for OW. You sort of have that now, if you can ignore the deck clipping through your view with waves... which I can't.   Would love to see this small feature in a AOS game.

/ship's wheel of the Surprise, the modified HMS Rose from M&C.  Toured it a few years ago in San Diego

20151025_103241.thumb.jpg.29fd9ceda2953a3019381f298024952a.jpg

• Like 1