Game-Labs Forum
admin

XP and Wipes

About XP for winning the match...

Shot as much as I could in Brig bot grind:

af23c1127cf6cb33f702295aee021ae4.png

Capped all three circles and collected all 1000 points:

d870f133ceb424916e012853e774ef88.png

I'm all for pushing people towards fighting so I have no beef with this.

Should there be more balance in regard to xp and cash, or is winning enough reward?

Looks different to my results. But I just played capture the base or the one circle. Maybe it is map depending?

Well that answers my question about whether you get xp for capping an objective.

I think a more detailed xp breakdown would be helpful too though.

I think it would be nice if XP wasn't tied to the ships, so you can actually skip ships that you don't like.

Say I want to go directly from sailing the Cerberus to sailing the Trincomalee, I should be able to just keep grinding the XP in my Cerberus until I have the required amount for the Trinc, thereby skipping a whole four ships (Renommee, Cherubim, Essex, and Indefatigable) that I may not be interested in sailing. Forcing a linear progression is so 2016...

17 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

I think it would be nice if XP wasn't tied to the ships, so you can actually skip ships that you don't like.

Say I want to go directly from sailing the Cerberus to sailing the Trincomalee, I should be able to just keep grinding the XP in my Cerberus until I have the required amount for the Trinc, thereby skipping a whole four ships (Renommee, Cherubim, Essex, and Indefatigable) that I may not be interested in sailing. Forcing a linear progression is so 2016...

Agreed,  there should be 'free' xp you can place on any ship once you have maxed out all slots on a ship. Also allows players to continue gaining xp even if they just enjoy using one or two ships.

2 hours ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

Agreed, this is a big thing that puts War Thunder over World of Tanks in my eyes. You can grind with any plane you want, even the reserves.

Okay, so, why the fact of researching any ship,using any ship is required?

In my opinion, it adds a lot of variety to the gameplay.  it must not be needed to play a single ship to grind, as it can be pretty boring, and would discourage playing with friends of different level.

Then, about the crew XP, war thunder is a bad example. It should not cost anything to change ship, only to unlock it. 

Also, premium ships. Because I’m seeing them coming, must not be in great numbers. Seriously. Under 1/5 ratio.

why? Naval Action has suffered from a small community, and keeping some of its content behind a paywall can be a bad idea, except for rare ships like gunboat. Ships that in big numbers would unbalance the game can be limited by a paywall, but go easy on this.

It may be temptful to make premium ships better than the non paid ones, but in the long run, players will stop playing because of this. I’m saying this because this is exactly what they are doing in war thunder, and quite a lot of the community is getting sick of it.

Players should be able to leave a game when they are dead, and still get rewards, as waiting for the end of a battle is boring. Really.

Putting mechanics to avoid early leavers will be more a punishement for everybody than a help. ESPECIALLY during beta.

Research of a ship, which will take time, should be shortened by unlocking upgrades for our current ship.

Premium account should seriously cost 5$ a month, 20$ 6 months or 30$ a year.

I would add the possibilty of having premium account FOR EVER, by paying 50$. Please keep those prices low, think about Taxes of around 20% in France for example.

AVOID LOOTBOXES, while it is a good way to earn cash, not only this is gambling and may be banned from the whole EU shortly, but also it is very tiring to see this, as more and more players know how this works... Please don’t. Do not. Bad marketing dude. Sit.

Events should be done regularly, each 3 months for example. This will help concentrate the community around those dates.

Also, free premium weekends should be a thing, once a month, to again, keep the community. This may reduce how many people buy premium accounts, but it will also give them a taste as to what it is like.

Take the example from Crossout, with Raids that give some rare ressources to get high level items. For example do a mission where we need to board a set ship, in order to get heavy carriages, to craft better cannons for high tier ships such as victory. This is where we need to buy the premium account, to get this going a little faster, like 1.5x

Ingame market is a bad idea, don’t thrust F2p players to be smart.

I think we should be able to trade ressources, even for gold. like  exchange 10 gold for 1000 iron. This would allow some players who don’t want to put money in, to still get some gold by farming. Prices will be decidd by the players. you should do a market share of 5% to keep money flowing, but not more.

8 hours ago, traeng said:

AVOID LOOTBOXES, while it is a good way to earn cash, not only this is gambling and may be banned from the whole EU shortly, but also it is very tiring to see this, as more and more players know how this works... Please don’t. Do not. Bad marketing dude. Sit.

• XP will only be wiped on release. Everyone who played before the release will receive a special ship. 
  • There will be no loot boxes.
  • There will be no premium currency on release, but it might be added later, BUT - premium currency if happen will be also earned in tournaments and events.
  • There will be 2 microtransations on release
    • Several ships
    • Eternal premium account (buy once forever)

22 minutes ago, admin said:

Now that i like! Paying monthly in other F2P games for premium accounts always held me back.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:07 PM, Fellvred said:

Agreed,  there should be 'free' xp you can place on any ship once you have maxed out all slots on a ship. Also allows players to continue gaining xp even if they just enjoy using one or two ships.

"Free XP" pool would work great in both games. Like in the OW version once you unlock all 5 slots your XP goes into a "Free XP" slot that can be used on any ship to help open up slots.  That are have it go towards other ships of that class.   I can see it working in NA:L also that maybe letting you skip through a ship that you can add to the pool using your older ships towards a new ship.  That way you don't have to stay in every ship as you level up, but can actually grind out a low level ship and use the free xp to open up ships above it.  Maybe limit how much per day/week you can convert into xp for unlocking a ship too.

On 7.10.2017 at 7:04 PM, jodgi said:

Should there be more balance in regard to xp and cash, or is winning enough reward?

They should just look how similar successful games handle those important mechanics/motivate playing that already put thought in design and balancing. Dont make the same mistakes again and ask players how fast and easy they want progress to be. Yes, this game has a basic economy and messing it up results in a first rate meta as it does in NA. And in this game you really dont want to force people to use specific ships by BR limited battles.

How are rewards, unlocks and money sinks working in e.g. WoWs or WoT? How long does it take with casual playtime/day to get into a medium, large and the largest vessel? What are people criticising? Etc. All i know is that large vessels are money sinks in those games caused by a repair mechanic, you cant exclusively use them. 

I prefer more WT, where we can keep the aircrafts, and take them whenever we want with no penality

this is what makes replayability so high in this game

On 23/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, admin said:

• XP will only be wiped on release. Everyone who played before the release will receive a special ship. 
  • There will be no loot boxes.
  • There will be no premium currency on release, but it might be added later, BUT - premium currency if happen will be also earned in tournaments and events.
  • There will be 2 microtransations on release
    • Several ships

Okay, the buy once forever is wonderful

several ships? I'd like to have a percentage, like 1/10 or more like 1/3?

Sounds like we need a tech tree with branches. I agree that a linear progression is fastidious and I really don't want to sail every boat that exists.

On the other hand, don't want to end up in a Tier 5 battle with guys that are coming from Cutters with no clue on handling sails. So we need some kind of progression ladder to ensure that the bloke sailing on a 4th or 5th rate ship has acquired sufficient game knowledge when he reaches that level.

I'm no ship expert but what about giving a Brig the possibility to go down a Snow/Renommee/Surprise/Consti like tech tree or to chose a NavyBrig/Cerberus/Frigate/Ingerman tech tree?

You could of course do both if you want. Could split this out into 2 to 4 branches maybe?

The advantage would be to have players grind the lower tiers faster and hopefully get addicted to this game ;)

7 hours ago, la Touche-Treville said:

I agree that a linear progression is fastidious and I really don't want to sail every boat that exists.

This. Perpetually this.

7 hours ago, la Touche-Treville said:

I'm no ship expert but what about giving a Brig the possibility to go down a Snow/Renommee/Surprise/Consti like tech tree or to chose a NavyBrig/Cerberus/Frigate/Ingerman tech tree?

You could of course do both if you want. Could split this out into 2 to 4 branches maybe?

The advantage would be to have players grind the lower tiers faster and hopefully get addicted to this game ;)

That's an interesting proposition. I think it would be better with slightly more freedom of choice though. Like has been suggested before, I think dividing the ships into different tiers from which you can freely choose which one you want to use would be better, especially when we get more ships in.

For example (left to right, cheap -> expensive):

Tier 1 (light unrated): Lynx, Cutter, Privateer, Pickle.

Tier 2 (medium unrated): Brig, Prince de Neufchatel, Snow, Navy Brig. 

Tier 3 (heavy unrated): Mercury, Rattlesnake, Niagara, Rattlesnake Heavy.

Tier 4 (light frigate): Cerberus, Renommee, Surprise, Le Gros Ventre Refit.

Tier 5 (medium frigate): Belle Poule, Hermione, Cherubim/Frigate, Pirate Frigate.

Tier 6 (heavy frigate): Essex, Endymion, Trincomalee, Indefatigable.

Tier 7 (light SoL): Constitution, Ingermanland, Agamemnon, Wappen von Hamburg.

Tier 8 (medium SoL): 3rd Rate, Wasa, Bellona, St. Pavel

Tier 9 (heavy SoL): Bucentaure, Victory, L'Ocean, Santisima.

This is just a suggestion as to how it could look; I haven't sailed all these myself, so I can only estimate their relative strength (and thus where in the progression they should be placed). 

I think this model would satisfy the desire of many here: not to be forced to grind through all ships, even though many of them are very similar; to avoid having to sail ships that seriously diminish your enjoyment; to have a reason to stick to your favourite smaller ships (since that enables you to unlock not only one, but at least four different ships in turn); etc. etc.

EDIT: Some of these could be premium. For example: Tier 1: Yacht, Tier 2: Prince, Tier 3: Rattlesnake Heavy, Tier 4: LGV Refit, Tier 5: Pirate Frigate and Santa Cecilia, etc.

EDIT2: Just to clarify how you'd progress; I'm imagining that the entire Tier 1 is unlocked at the start, but you have to spend silver to buy them (you start with enough to buy the Lynx or Cutter); the way you move on to Tier 2 is by gaining experience in Tier 1, and this can be used to unlock any of the ships in Tier 2. Same goes all the way down: you gain XP in a tier and use that to unlock any ship in the following tier (I'm not sure whether tier XP should be able to unlock ships in the same tier).

Edited by Niels Terkildsen