Game-Labs Forum
admin

XP and Wipes

Important information on XP and money

XP and money grants are sped up for testing.
Expect 1-2 xp and money wipes (apologies for them in advance). 

Early victims testers will receive extremely rare rewards for active participation!.
We appreciate your support!!!

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Early victims testers will receive extremely rare rewards for active participation!.

We appreciate your support!!!

Does this mean you can only earn these rewards should you be lucky enough to be given a participation code for the Closed Beta?

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Why would you get something for doing nothing?

How hard is it to filter for those that actually played?

2 minutes ago, jodgi said:

How hard is it to filter for those that actually played?

Yah all they have to do is just rewards all those that do something like 10 battles each or more depending and that will be fine, just hate when they give out rewards for folks that didn't do anything in games.  It doesn't make being a tester and actually testing things special.  Even worse when they later give out those same rewards for general population to buy (WoT any one?) 

14 minutes ago, Aegon Targaryen said:

Hey,

I cant unlock ships with my XP. If I click on research nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is it just bugged?

LFzk3wMoSpi57AhRMDgtNg.png

You got prolly not enough exp - click right bottom icon to check. There is info about last battle exp and sliver 

44 minutes ago, Aegon Targaryen said:

Hey,

I cant unlock ships with my XP. If I click on research nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or is it just bugged?

LFzk3wMoSpi57AhRMDgtNg.png

XP 621 means you need 621 more XP on Cutter to be able to research Brig, you can check your experience on the ship's card on equipment popup

1 minute ago, slik said:

XP 621 means you need 621 more XP on Cutter to be able to research Brig, you can check your experience on the ship's card on equipment popup

Thats may be confused for some. Maybe add some description? like: XP 621 (on Cutter)

40 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Thats may be confused for some. Maybe add some description? like: XP 621 (on Cutter)

yeah the current UI is confusing regarding XP. everytime you have to explain something its not good.

Edited by z4ys

1 hour ago, Ruthless4u said:

Hope you guys are not to harsh on me, out of town for my wedding anniversary( 10 years poor woman) till Sunday night/Monday so can't get started till then.

Maybe we should send Her a gift.

I saw in global chat someone saying they'd gotte a Brig, which seems amazing to me at this point; the XP I've been pulling in so far hasn't made me confident I'll get there before Monday.

Edited by Knite

3 hours ago, Knite said:

I saw in global chat someone saying they'd gotte a Brig, which seems amazing to me at this point; the XP I've been pulling in so far hasn't made me confident I'll get there before Monday.

With the luck I've been getting where 90% of the time I don't get any xp at all I would love to be there by Monday

Hmmm if the xp gaterhing is currently boostet I fear that it might be too slow if it is back to the normal value.
Even now I think people should be able to get off a cutter pretty fast but at least for me thats not the case.
Still, might be bad luck though.

I do hope during some of the testing they unlock the bigger ships for us to test as it would be a real grind to have to work through them after each wipe. My concern as well is how the game will scale for bigger ships. Some of the maps are likely to be a struggle in first rates for the allotted time.

On 24.9.2017 at 8:02 PM, Archaos said:

I do hope during some of the testing they unlock the bigger ships for us to test as it would be a real grind to have to work through them after each wipe. My concern as well is how the game will scale for bigger ships. Some of the maps are likely to be a struggle in first rates for the allotted time.

Agree but there would be a simple solution for this: Different maps for different ship types.

So once you outgrow the... lets say Snow... you might get in touch with maps with less shallows.
Again with heavier frigates / early ships of the line.
So at least shallows are not concern, you just need a few more maps.

But still you might be right because of the size of maps in total.
The maps are so big that a ship of the line which drift off while fighting an opponent has no chance to get back into fight if it has to go back against the wind.

There would be a simple and a lightly more complex solution to it.
1) Reduce the map sizes by a great amount. Nobody goes for the far away cap circles anyway, it just takes too long and you team is sunk in the meantime.
That way you also can not drift away too far since you will reach the end of the map soon.
2) Let the wind change its direction.
This would keep the combat intresting since you yould gain advantage or disadvantage by chance.
Should not be overdone ( for example wind turning 180° every minute or something like this) but if it turns a few times like once every 5 minutes that could be great.
3) If you reach maps end you will leave the battle, get a share of the xp and money and sail home. <- not too sure about this idea, could be abused a lot...

I would favor a combination of 1 and 2, experienced it way back at Pirates of the Burning Sea and - as much flaws the game had -  this worked marvellous!
Also you would have a chance to get back into fight with the slow tubs.

1 hour ago, isard said:

1) Reduce the map sizes by a great amount.

I wouldn't reduce them too much. These ships need space. They may not be that fast, but tne engagements take a reasonably long time, and ships can drift pretty far while fighting. Keeping yourself close to your teammates should be your choice, not a restriction. It would be pretty immersion breaking IMO if suddenly the game told you that you should turn back, because the arbitrarily small map ends here. The current map sizes are about right IMO, they let you drift away if you're not paying attention, and they give enough space for lengthy engagements or chases.

2 hours ago, kumisz said:

I wouldn't reduce them too much. These ships need space. They may not be that fast, but tne engagements take a reasonably long time, and ships can drift pretty far while fighting. Keeping yourself close to your teammates should be your choice, not a restriction. It would be pretty immersion breaking IMO if suddenly the game told you that you should turn back, because the arbitrarily small map ends here. The current map sizes are about right IMO, they let you drift away if you're not paying attention, and they give enough space for lengthy engagements or chases.

Hm ok, two different opinions here then.
I would have no problem at all if the map itself would have half the size, a quarter might be too small but half seems right to me.
Why?
Thats easy: If somebody starts running he has too much space to do so.
Instead of following him you could as well just sit around and wait until the 60 minutes battletimer goes to zero.
That s nothing I would like to see anytime soon but it will happen if somebody wants to spare the repair costs or similar later on.

All arena style games I know so far work great if you can move freely in a restriced area.
And by that in a usefull speed to relocate yourself and/or catch who is left over within mere minutes.
Last can not be achieved here because ships are slow and I get this but no need to encourage runners anyways.

To be honest: What parts of the map do we actually sail?
Maybe 10%? 20%? Then the battle is over, so there is just no need for more in the current state.
Well, at least the way I see this, there is no need for more than this just yet.

Edited by isard

1 hour ago, isard said:

All arena style games I know so far work great if you can move freely in a restriced area.
And by that in a usefull speed to relocate yourself and/or catch who is left over within mere minutes.
Last can not be achieved here because ships are slow and I get this but no need to encourage runners anyways.

In World of Warships, map sizes increase with tier, as ship speed and gunnery range generally increase with tier. There are some outliers, as USN battleships up until T8 are all standard BBs, so their speed does not exceed 21kts; now, WoWs scales map sizes and ship sizes so that you don't spend 4 hours going a few KMs at the actual speed of your ship, but even then, the standard BBs can take up to half the match to traverse half the map. 

Map size should be taken into consideration, but I don't think the maps need to be much smaller than they already are.

Hm ok, maybe im wrong if everybody else thinks it is ok.
I just hope that the gameplay will stay "fast" and wont become another time burner like the original NA (including sailing hours long on open water).

But maybe I am exaggerating this, we will see what happens.

On 3.10.2017 at 2:15 PM, isard said:

Thats easy: If somebody starts running he has too much space to do so.
Instead of following him you could as well just sit around and wait until the 60 minutes battletimer goes to zero.
That s nothing I would like to see anytime soon but it will happen if somebody wants to spare the repair costs or similar later on.

To be honest: What parts of the map do we actually sail?
Maybe 10%? 20%? Then the battle is over, so there is just no need for more in the current state.
Well, at least the way I see this, there is no need for more than this just yet.

You got objectives to prevent that, theres a reason there is no deathmatch mode. Also even if you make the map smaller due to wind it could mean you still have to chase someone 30 mins against the wind and might not be able to catch him, depending on your and his ship + skillz.

I was expecting this and it's no problem as long as you keep improving the game :D 

I think the area you are allowed to sail in should not be made smaller but maybe have a max distance 1 or 2 shis can be away from the general group?
it that's to complicated increasing the map size by tier sounds also like a good idea 

Edited by Deadstuff

Ok...

it is hard for me to follow this discussion and i want to write up my opion (once again i think).

I just hope that NAL will bring back the great feeling of the old Sea Trials once more. And it is totaly possible to do that!

I want to say clearly what made it so great.

1. It WAS deathmatch. You had to work together and organize your lines to win.

2. The map WAS huge. It was needed to manoveur. And so the different phases of the gameplay matters: Orginize your line, shot from far and search for a weak spot, then go in and the chaos breaks out :)

3. To the end of matchtime the map began to get smaler. That was a good mechanic to bring the ships together! And to not worry anymore about the heavy wouded ships that cant make it anymore.

4. There where NO circles. I repeat: NO artifical circles! They totaly destroy the way a fleet of that time should fight. And they totaly destroy all the great tactics.

5. No shallow. I think they are ok, but DONT use them to make the smal ships matter. Why? Because the small ships always do! In even battles they fit a different role and they have to be played totaly differently but they do matter a lot and can be used clever together with the big ships.

6. Variety on fleet setup. Only balance with cannons. Allow 2 Big ships vs 14 cutters or something like that. Dont even up the ship count.

7. Calm weather, light storms, storms. Battles in the morning, high noon and evening.

8. No Ai... But in this point I read that you want to make it so.

Still in hope that you take this route back to the old great battles, that so many players seem not to know of.

Karacho