Game-Labs Forum
admin

General gameplay feedback

Some thoughts after several games played:

It's hard to judge progression at this stage. I needed three games in the Cutter in order to unlock the Brig but all games were mostly against AI (= easy kills and assists) and I already know how the game works. For new players in an actual PvP environment this will probably take much longer. So maybe the time you have to spent in 7th rates needs adjustment. You might even consider handing out an additional fixed amount of silver and XP after the first 3-5 battles which guarantees that players can afford the Brig afterwards no matter how good/bad their performance was.

While I really hope to see all of NA's ships* in Legends as well at some point, I'd also say you shouldn't be forced to grind through all of them. At least the other 7th rates should be optional after you are done with the first one. In addition I think there should be some sort of sidegrade system to prevent boring grind on ships that are quite similar to others. For example: You can choose wether you want to spent your Brig-XP on a cheaper sidestep to the Navy Brig or gather some more XP to advance directly to the next ship in the line of progression, which would be the Mercury in this case. Of course you should be able to earn XP for the Mercury while you're using the Navy Brig then. Maybe even think about making Brig and Navy Brig share one XP pool.

The downside of this sidestep system would be the need to define which ship should be inside and which should be outside of the main line of progression. Brig and Navy Brig is the most obvious choice to make while almost everything else highly depends on personal taste. So another idea would be to actually get rid of the strict line and introduce rated XP. Example: You start in a 7th rate (maybe even one of your own choice) and gather XP within that rate. This XP can then either be used to unlock other 7th rates or to unlock a ship of the next rate, 6th in this case. To prevent players from just rushing to 1st rates there could be additional requirements they have to meet in order to proceed. Something like having to unlock at least 5 different 5th rates before being able to unlock a 4th rate. That seems more time-consuming to implement than the other idea but also involves a little more freedom for the players to choose ships they'd like to sail. On the other hand there's little icentive to unlock and sail the Brig if you're also able to unlock the Navy Brig straight away.

Another thing I'm a little bit concerned about is the maintenance mechanism. I guess that's done to kind of balance the usage of bigger ships. However such mechanisms have quite a bad reputation among players as they can easily be seen as a restriction regarding game assets that already have to be unlocked through investment of time (or even real money if premium ships have maintenance costs as well). In addition I'm not sure whether they actually make for a balance. They usually affect casual players while the more hardcore ones often have large amounts of ingame money at their disposal anyway. Personally, I probably won't be affected too much as I prefer frigates over bigger ships. The effect this mechanism can have on the community's mood is also highly dependent on how it is implemented. (How much do you have to pay for maintenace and does it really prevent you from using for example the Victory you just unlocked after X hours?) I'd just like you to consider some of this thoughts as the success of NA Legends will be determined by its ability to attract and keep a reasonable amount of players.

Last but not least I'd like to have the option to change my captain's name independent of my steam name. (Correct me if I just missed it.)

*Except for traders obviously although it would be nice to see some LGVs and Indiamen in a convoy that you have to attack/defend.

Edited by Jeremiah Gunsmoke

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Have ya'll thought they might not be going AFK on purpose.  When I was playing with a clan mate last week he keep getting booted at the start of the match. It would say he's still in the match and than he had to shut the game down and than reboot it and some of the time he would get ot rejoin and other times he could just go off and start a new fight.   I think once you see the connections get a bit more stabel there might be less DC"s.

Fair enough, anything can happen.

Would be nice when you press TAB that real players were in a different colour to the AI.

Having the M key active for map same as in NA OW would be nice so you could see who was who and what condition their armour was in.

Really enjoying it so far though!

UI looks nice too!

ahoy

i changed some keys in the options .ie i like the "switching the fire range" on "N" instead of "R" ..just a matter of taste ..

when i clicked the desired buttons it would not show my new choice in the options imediately ..only after leaving the option menue and getting back in again :-)

i am missing a matchmaking lobby

On 1.10.2017 at 1:47 PM, admin said:

but then they will farm afk

I can imagine that would mostly happen when there is not much to do.
For example: If any game lets me to do 10 minutes of boring stuff until I get 2 minutes of action I could even understand people who might do this.
Dont get me wrong: I do neither support it nor say that it is nice but at least this behavious is somewhat understandable to a certain degree.

This time I had some battles with the player "Gamelabs" who pretty much immediatly after battle started said that spawn could still be closer together.
It is very simple but one reason how to avoid the statement above.

More fun = more (active) players and less bots.
Then there are those people that will always try to cheat but as stated before: Let AI take over control and throw them back to harbour with no xp + maybe even repair fee.
Other people might be smart enough to do some heavy well made botting but in this case the game will need some serious cheat/bot protection system at some time.
Lets hope it wont come to this.

Something completely different:
I invited a friend of mine to play a few rounds and he was totally in for it.
Actually we played the normal Naval Action hours over hours before.
But after playing two matches where we were set up against much higher ships (we in cutters vs. snows/navy brigs/mercs and even an essex) he quit pretty fast.

One reason was the match making as stated above (no problems fighting ai, but the essex killed the joy).
The other reason was very slow progression on the cutter.

I cant speak for late game ships for now but I would recommend speeding up the leveling on early ships a lot while slowing down after the first "beautiful" ships with some serious armement.
Something around late 9 pounder /early 12 pounder ships maybe.
On the other hand slow down progression in the high tiers to keep people playing later on.
Could be a win-win situation.

Big kudos for stopping the "connection lost" issue btw :)

Edited by isard

The name tags (like in OW battle instances) would come in handy in Legends as well. The flags are not always visible, and I've had some confused moments when looking at two ships right next to each other, trying to decide which is which.

Edited by kumisz

22 hours ago, Jeremiah Gunsmoke said:

snip

While I really hope to see all of NA's ships* in Legends as well at some point, I'd also say you shouldn't be forced to grind through all of them. At least the other 7th rates should be optional after you are done with the first one. In addition I think there should be some sort of sidegrade system to prevent boring grind on ships that are quite similar to others. For example: You can choose wether you want to spent your Brig-XP on a cheaper sidestep to the Navy Brig or gather some more XP to advance directly to the next ship in the line of progression, which would be the Mercury in this case. Of course you should be able to earn XP for the Mercury while you're using the Navy Brig then. Maybe even think about making Brig and Navy Brig share one XP pool.

The downside of this sidestep system would be the need to define which ship should be inside and which should be outside of the main line of progression. Brig and Navy Brig is the most obvious choice to make while almost everything else highly depends on personal taste. So another idea would be to actually get rid of the strict line and introduce rated XP. Example: You start in a 7th rate (maybe even one of your own choice) and gather XP within that rate. This XP can then either be used to unlock other 7th rates or to unlock a ship of the next rate, 6th in this case. To prevent players from just rushing to 1st rates there could be additional requirements they have to meet in order to proceed. Something like having to unlock at least 5 different 5th rates before being able to unlock a 4th rate. That seems more time-consuming to implement than the other idea but also involves a little more freedom for the players to choose ships they'd like to sail. On the other hand there's little icentive to unlock and sail the Brig if you're also able to unlock the Navy Brig straight away.

snip

First a general observation - the games I played went relatively smoothly (well for my opponents anyway lol). I did have one game with the "Indefatigable" bug, one where a player in my group was placed on the opposite team and a couple of head scratching matchmaker results that people have already mentioned. (Merc, 2x Brig vs. 2 Brigs and a cutter plus AI for example).  As others have said I think some of the MM issues may get sorted with more players online. Also with more players progressing to bigger ships I think the MM should have some way to have a varied fleet composition (like WoWs).

I just wanted to comment on the ship progression as noted by Mr. Gunsmoke above. Right now we have number 1 with no free xp. I see it as 2 methods of ship or vehicle progression trees:

1. WoT/WoWs style

XP comes only from the vehicle below the one you are researching with the exception of a small amount of "free" xp that can be used on any ship.  Sailing another ship means no progression on the tree. Once research is complete and you buy the new ship/tank your crew gets retrained and promptly forgets how to sail the ship below it.  At least in WoWs for example you have multiple "national" trees and different ship classes so you are not grinding with just one ship.

2. WT style

You can drive/fly any vehicle in that nations tree and provide xp (research points) for the vehicle currently being researched. The amount of xp is limited or increased based on the level of the vehicle driven and researched so that a low level vehicle (cutter) wouldn't provide as much research as would a vehicle on the same tier. Secondly crew training is not tied to a specific vehicle.

I think something like the second system works better. It would promote varied types and rates of ships used in battles as well. Players would be able to sail their favorite ship and still grind on the ship tree.

I noticed that getting out of the cutter is way harder then ranking quite a few ships after it

With a cutter you just cant make enough damage against (navy) brigs

from brig up to atleast cerberus  you can get the next ship in just 3 or 4 games

Also why you need less experience and cash for the Constitution then the Trincomelee while its later in the grindlist

2 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

First a general observation - the games I played went relatively smoothly (well for my opponents anyway lol). I did have one game with the "Indefatigable" bug, one where a player in my group was placed on the opposite team and a couple of head scratching matchmaker results that people have already mentioned. (Merc, 2x Brig vs. 2 Brigs and a cutter plus AI for example).  As others have said I think some of the MM issues may get sorted with more players online. Also with more players progressing to bigger ships I think the MM should have some way to have a varied fleet composition (like WoWs).

I just wanted to comment on the ship progression as noted by Mr. Gunsmoke above. Right now we have number 1 with no free xp. I see it as 2 methods of ship or vehicle progression trees:

1. WoT/WoWs style

XP comes only from the vehicle below the one you are researching with the exception of a small amount of "free" xp that can be used on any ship.  Sailing another ship means no progression on the tree. Once research is complete and you buy the new ship/tank your crew gets retrained and promptly forgets how to sail the ship below it.  At least in WoWs for example you have multiple "national" trees and different ship classes so you are not grinding with just one ship.

2. WT style

You can drive/fly any vehicle in that nations tree and provide xp (research points) for the vehicle currently being researched. The amount of xp is limited or increased based on the level of the vehicle driven and researched so that a low level vehicle (cutter) wouldn't provide as much research as would a vehicle on the same tier. Secondly crew training is not tied to a specific vehicle.

I think something like the second system works better. It would promote varied types and rates of ships used in battles as well. Players would be able to sail their favorite ship and still grind on the ship tree.

I think the problem is that we have way to less ships for having wider trees atm.

in WT or WoT they started with just 2 nations but both nations had whole trees of 25+ vehicles each. We are not even close to have enough different ships to have a wider tree then its now.

You might be right about that but there is some other possibility: Hand certain ships only to certain nations.
Best example would be first rates.
So we would have the Victory for GB, LOcean for France, Santi for Spain.

Cross that, the odea is dumb.
If you later bring in more diversed ships some people will have more or less advanced ships in every tree if you start moving them around.
Bad idea, reeeealy bad idea ;)

I dont say nothin against whole nation shiptrees though.
Just there are not enough ships yet and you can always attract more people with more ships.
More important would be to keep the stuff running good and smooth that is in now (vanishing cannon balls, anyone? ;) ).

Destroying a tower seems to force a battle crash - I just destroyed one on the map with the 2 capturable towers, game instance crashed right after it. Sent an f11 report

I feel like the game should be open to join for every NA owner - It sort of is already, but since we're not allowed to share the key in public, I think many players interested in it are not even aware of its existence.
For now I'll wait til we get more players. If I want to fight Bots I could do that in NA Vanilla (got 3x NPC only battles today in NA legends). Tops we had this evening was 7 players in Queue.

I am playing all evening and I keep playing even against ai I am enjoying my self 
I told all my friends who own NA but most people seemed to be burned out on NA and don't want to bother trying this. 

Guys, remember what happened last time everyone was involved in "testing" with big changes?

Played today most of the day with my clan and i have to say i like it. Cant wait to get into some proper frigates. Although i do hope we see bigger player numbers.

In regard to gun progression I still stand by my opinion that I posted here:

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/23343-weekend-6-new-round-of-testing/?do=findComment&comment=482809

However I thought I might as well suggest some tunings, since you probably won't change the whole system again. So here are my experiences with the gun progression system so far:

The first ship I used from scratch since gun progression was introduced is the Renommee. She is able to mount 9pd mediums/longs on her main gun deck while still at upgrade level 0.* I actually don't know whether this is a bug or working as intended but you should keep it. Fighting another Renommee with nothing but 4pdrs would probably require hugging her to death.

Upgrading to the Frigate felt like a downgrade even compared to a Renommee with basic loadout. You start with 9pd mediums/longs on her main deck too but in contrast to the Renommee, the Frigate is more prone to gun and crew loss. As a result making use of the 9pdrs becomes harder in the Frigate. All in all she is a bit on the edge. Not unplayable but I'd prefer her to be able to carry 12pd mediums/longs from the start.

The Essex is the first ship that simply feels undergunned at upgrade level 0. With 9pd mediums/longs on her lower deck she's rather a target than a danger. I really think she should at least be able to carry 12pd mediums/longs at upgrade level 0. Currently she's like a knight in heavy armour that brought nothing but a knife to the fight.

It's basically the same with the Indefatigable. While she can mount 12pd mediums/longs on her lower deck at upgrade level 0, that's actually not enough to make the battles fun. A fight between myself and an allied AI-Indefatigable against two other AI-Indefatigables was decided by timeout, because the overall damage output was quite low compared to the Indefatigable's hitpoints. Probably different against and with other players (as AI often isn't able to properly hit other AI ships), but I'm not sure if fighting against players will be more fun while you are stuck in a sluggish brick without the firepower to make up for this weakness. I'd suggest at least 18pd mediums/longs for the Indefatigbale at upgrade level 0.

I haven't unlocked the Trincomalee yet so no opinion on her so far.

*Or at least she was able to do so when I was using her shortly after gun progression was added to the game.

Don't forget that stock hell is there to motivate us to buy premium account to make our suffering as short as possible.

39 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Don't forget that stock hell is there to motivate us to buy premium account to make our suffering as short as possible.

I know. That's why I linked my previous post regarding this topic. To make a long story short: In my opinion too much frustration will rather hurt the playerbase than raise sales.

The critical level of frustration is a different one for each individual player though. I guess we'll see how it goes once more players reach bigger ships.

Features that we need next:

- Stats&Leaderboards
- daily quests
- combat medals for extra silver (1st kill, most kills, most assists, took most damage, did most damage...)
- quitters/leavers have to be punished somehow and the ships that quit have to be taken over by npcs at least

Edited by Otsego

Boarding in na(l) is still a chore. There should be at least some kind of interesting minigame, right now its like a textadventure from the 80s. To fix the current system it is neccessary to make ships sinkable during boarding and make it impossible to board nose/stern to broadside.

And Fort Damage needs to be decreased-

Balancing needs rework too, matchmaker just balanced cerbs vs. snows. Thats the same like balancing minigun vs. bow&arrow (not the pointiest kind of arrows though)

Edited by Otsego

I'm loving Naval Action Legends, due to the community die down in Naval Actions it was so hard to find battles this is exactly what I wanted. One thing I don't like is the experience and gold reward system and how little you get from each battle versus how much it costs to research and get new ships. With the way it's going it's going to take way too long and I'm not trying to log another 1200 hours into the game just don't have that time anymore. 

Edited by TimeForged

5 hours ago, TimeForged said:

With the way it's going it's going to take way too long and I'm not trying to log another 1200 hours into the game just don't have that time anymore. 

One thing that might suit you is the upcoming premium ships.

During this testing phase xp gain is set at 2x. After release we'll be able to purchase a one-off premium account unlock that will accelerate the grind that will be 1.5x. So the final grind with premium will be pretty close to what we have now.

I'd say the grind is pretty fast compared to the other arena games. I've played a little during the open weekends and 17 hours since NAL was released to NA owners. I'm at an upgraded Frigate now and you can enjoy the game with the ships you already have after 30-50 hours of grinding.

The santi grind might seem daunting but you don't need that to play. I will grind super hard towards an upgraded connie and possible alternatives. I might leave the SOLS alone entirely unless I'm able to use a comfy premium ship to casually grind those on the side.

There's one thing bothering me, it's the ship being locked in battle. While it may seem to lock people from being AFK or dying stupudly, it also means for players that die early, that they wait a huge amount of time. Why? Because it's naval action!!! Battles may take an hour to do!

Who would want to wait a whole hour to get their ship?

I suggest a 5min penality max.

or a 20 minutes penality, but you subscract the battle time to it.

for example, if someone dies in the first 10 mins of a match, he will only wait 10 minutes maximum, or until the battle end.

if someone stay for more than 20 minutes, he will not have any penality for dying.

This will keep more players in matches, instead of waiting of their ship.

"But they can play another ship" -But they need to play THAT locked ship to advance.

Edited by traeng

3 ships for starters. cutter, lynx, pickle. All are 12 pieces. while one is locked, play any other. Rest is okay.