Game-Labs Forum
admin

General gameplay feedback

Game feels much better now. Port Ui is much clearer now. But matchmaking is still " could be better" Sometimes it splits groups to differend teams or people dont get into the same game or makes 4 vs 2 games(I am not counting AI because they are stuck with doing their stupid stuff)

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Overall the game seems much smoother now compared to last weekends testing run. Reached the Frigate now and done a few battles in it, but ended up fighting bots for most of the time. Would be good if there were battles every 15 minutes or something, rather than having everyone doing PvE on their own.

• Like 1

I've only had half a dozen games so far, so I reserve differentiated feedback for later. But to leave a first impression: I'm loving it. I was literally laughing out loud in the second battle today (mix of 7ths and 6ths, with circa 8 players), when I had to drive my cutter like a bumper car to slalom through the battle and avoid collisions.

And I think this will be a good draw for fresh blood. A mate of mine - who has expressed vague interest in NA for quite some time -  came over for game night when I was sailing a battle. I could see he was getting very itchy indeed while watching.

• Like 2

subjective

I dont know if it is a currently occurring and selfmade problem but I unlocked the cerb and reno and the matchmaker keeps setting me against AI only even there is an other high rated ship  and many unrated in queue we dont get nice mixed teams. Furthermore I like to play with a friend but because of the previous Testweekend where he couldnt participate i am ahead regarding ship progession. I wouldnt mind to downgrade my ship but when I do so I cant do any progress.

Therefore I suggest some kind of XP which are not bound to the linear ship progression. That means when I downgrade to a lower rated ship I still can make progress (even it is slower).

That would help with recuting new players by vets because they could acutally play with them without a big penalty. This way they could push each other and long time motivation is high. Playing alone gets soon boring.

It would even help with certain ships to skip them. For example the reno is a ship where  I could grab an axe and sink her à la asterix and obelix pirate style at every match start.

--------

objective

I know its much I but pls consider something that could bring people together who are playing the game for quite some time and people who just joined. Especially when they want to play together without giving much penalty to both. I bet most new people get recruited by firends ( look @Kpt Lautenschlaeger) and it would be more than handy if they could stick together even they dont start playing at the same time. Because nothing is better than sharing a good time with friends.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 3

Regarding ship progression and ship lineup.

We definitely need an other starting ship. I personally like the cutter but there are many who don't. It's not really cool looking unstable and hard to hit for beginners. Something like yacht (premium) and pickle or prince would be best.

Then there is no real difference between brig and navy brig. I propose to move the navy brig to premium ships as brig counterpart. 

To fill the gap add the rattlesnake. And I am not sure about mercury and snow order. The merc feels much better than the snow and she can mount 24pds.

Furthermore I noticed that even stern and bow chaser count towards the total gun amount (ship cards and battle information tab window). I am not sure about that. Even the old navy's just counted broadside guns because that are the guns that matters.

I would write it like that for the rattle: 20+2

20 broadside

2 chasers

I believe the gun amount is part of the br calculation that gives ship with a lot of chasers a fake br. Look at the snow. Chaser should have a 0.x multiplier when comes to br calculation.

I don't know how the final product will look like. But I hope when selecting a ship it even will show the history with some background information (time of service, captains major battles, build, faith etc.) on the ship cards.

*Edit*:

We even could use a non static BR matchmaking system that give armament a BR. Carronade BR could be higher as  normal cannons:

If we take merc and snow for example. The cannon braodside weight of the snow is highter therefore I understand that it comes after the merc in the ship progression. But when I equip the merc and snow with carronades the merc is superior in braodside weight.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

Some cards need a rework because the text is overlapping.

Stunsails, Gun sights,Ports trim and staysails

Here some examples:

DE426231CDD56A7898F68E36660AE25A9225A162F61AAC8B97E481C6C4196537AD9B11A326731CC8

Edited by z4ys

Feedback on MM balancing;

All AI except me: 4 snows and 2 brigs vs 2 snows and 4 brigs.

In cannon weight this is a pretty large difference, also is the snow two "tiers" over the brig.

Was not able to get any kills due to my inferior amount of cannons and the snows parted all the kills between them.
Got focused from the start by snows and sunk outmatched.

Is this intended like this?

Also found a wild going snow (they were boarding just before):

BD2B0301C3F742ED2FCCA8E73FC2E30209DB6B74

That ship never moved, never shot until end of round, being to only did hurt the team (reported in F11).

Edited by sveno

25 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

AFK players should be taken over by bots after a few minutes of inactivity

but then they will farm afk

1 minute ago, admin said:

but then they will farm afk

no xp when afk

yeah, kick afks after 10 - 15 min and punish them so you dont grief of purpose

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Liq said:

10+ min might be to long. 5mins would be best

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Liq said:

Yeah, this but rather 10min or even 5... i really hate people that join matches just to go afk... idiotic behavior like this should not be accepted or tolerated. The punishment should be restricting the player from matchmaking for a certain time that increases every time he afks again and only resets when he did not afk for a week or month. Also being afk you should get 0 xp ( this is probably the case already but just mentioning it in case ).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go // NeeRo said:

bots could be super easy to program - just sail in a straight line until match ends

would be good if u need to do dmg no matter what to get any xp to prevent that.

when hitting the border or  an island for to long you get punished by the admiralty. Aka "your are leaving the battlefield...

• Like 1

The balancer seems a bit drunk. It can split groups and place them into different teams :P

Edited by Sella22

With the 6th rates available having fairly similar stats, maybe there should be a split so players can choose what they want to sail? 

Brig - Navy Brig - Cerb

Snow - Mercury - Cerb

Rattles, prince, niag, and mortar brig kept back for a premium line?

• Like 2

Okay so the game seems very stable so far. Haven't had a single crash this weekend, and I've done quite a lot of battles. Just got to the Essex now. But its gotten kinda boring to wait til you can queue up with players at the same time.
I think it might be ready for the public pretty soon already :) Maybe have some big youtubers, e.g. Jingles / PhlyDaily / Bismarck do a video on it, so the masses even get notified of the games existence. :) I know Phly and Jingles liked Sea Trials a lot but never seen any future content of them regarding the open world.
And I think new players should only be forced to play  the cutter for 3-5 battles tops, otherwise they'll just stop bothering and uninstall, because hitting in the cutter can be pretty tough. It might be worse at the moment vs Bots and become less of a problem when everyone is in cutters and has the same issues though.

Edited by Liq
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Liq said:

Okay so the game seems very stable so far. Haven't had a single crash this weekend, and I've done quite a lot of battles. Just got to the Essex now. But its gotten kinda boring to wait til you can queue up with players at the same time.
I think it might be ready for the public pretty soon already :) Maybe have some big youtubers, e.g. Jingles / PhlyDaily / Bismarck do a video on it, so the masses even get notified of the games existence. :) I know Phly and Jingles liked Sea Trials a lot but never seen any future content of them regarding the open world.
And I think new players should only be forced to play  the cutter for 3-5 battles tops, otherwise they'll just stop bothering and uninstall, because hitting in the cutter can be pretty tough. It might be worse at the moment vs Bots and become less of a problem when everyone is in cutters and has the same issues though.

I would wait a bit more until you get youtubers to play it

First work on the balancer, then think about getting 1 ship between cutter and brig into the game. You have no chance with a cutter vs a brig tbh ^^

Also its a bit discouraging if you get close to 0 XP if you lose a battle in my oppinion.

27 minutes ago, rediii said:

I would wait a bit more until you get youtubers to play it

First work on the balancer, then think about getting 1 ship between cutter and brig into the game. You have no chance with a cutter vs a brig tbh ^^

Also its a bit discouraging if you get close to 0 XP if you lose a battle in my oppinion.

I dont think we'll have proper matchmaking before we get more players :P At the moment its maybe 20 players total playing, no real balance possible when you get liuke 3-4 ppl in queue in different ship types

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liq said:

I dont think we'll have proper matchmaking before we get more players :P At the moment its maybe 20 players total playing, no real balance possible when you get liuke 3-4 ppl in queue in different ship types

I agree with this. Given what I have seen so far, the que/balance looks like it will work fairly well once more players are on. A hint to this are the pure AI missions. Whenever I am the only one and AI fills in all other players, the team balance is really close - this suggest to me that it will treat a que full of real players the same way - once more are on.

4 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

Yeah, this but rather 10min or even 5... i really hate people that join matches just to go afk... idiotic behavior like this should not be accepted or tolerated. The punishment should be restricting the player from matchmaking for a certain time that increases every time he afks again and only resets when he did not afk for a week or month. Also being afk you should get 0 xp ( this is probably the case already but just mentioning it in case ).

Have ya'll thought they might not be going AFK on purpose.  When I was playing with a clan mate last week he keep getting booted at the start of the match. It would say he's still in the match and than he had to shut the game down and than reboot it and some of the time he would get ot rejoin and other times he could just go off and start a new fight.   I think once you see the connections get a bit more stabel there might be less DC"s.

• Like 1