Game-Labs Forum
admin

General gameplay feedback

My main issues so far is that in one fight I kept having an issue where my cutter just stopped, not getting stuck in irons the wind was blowing at a good angle to me and I went from about 8kn to 0 instantly, although I guess this is more of a combat thing, it didn't happen to me again though not yet anyway.

My other issue is that like others have been reporting I don't seem to be getting any experience most of the time, I have played a good 4 hours now and only got hold of about 90xp, it's also not clear how you get experience to me, one of the battles included doing a ton of damage to both a snow and a brig and also killing an AI cutter but I got nothing for it.

- I'm not getting XP or gold so far, i always disconnect after the fight.
- I like that your see your selected ship in the water in the main screen in full 3d, and begin able to zoom in/out and turn around it and such. However if possible, it would probably be better to not show those crew animations on the ship in main screen. It just looks weird, seeing those guys pushing the cannons over and over again, while it is in fact 'in harbor' (at least not set for sailing).
- Please show my current exp next to gold. Not that i get any exp or gold for now, but it should be there.
- I like the chat horizontal bar in the main screen, now i have enough space at least, in NA i always missed some message (or PM's) because i didn't notice them in that small scrollable horizontal bar.

Two things I liked in Sea trials more:

1. you saw who is in the waiting cue with you. You could also swith teams on the fly... it was fun.

2. There was the possibility to have NO bots!

I dont want to fight bots. I would prefer a really small battle or duel with one or two humans

On some maps the wind shown on the compass is not the wind ingame. Even the flag and sails are showing the wrong wind direction. It was the 2 fort map and a 3 circle map for me. The wind was coming from 270 degree while the compass showed somethingelse.

I don't know if you'll want the ability to switch teams. You have to imagine this is going to be a free game when it releases. That means lots of new people - who not always are looking for a fair fight.

That also addresses the no bots thing, when more players are playing it after it releases, there'll be no bots needed because players will fill the spots automatically. They could probably set the waiting timer longer though - to max 5 minutes or so. You should also be able to see who is an AI and who is a player.

Some first feedback after the first day of playing:

• Main Menue UI is nice, though it could use some music and mabye add a variety of ports in the background to choose from, similar to wows
  • Would be nice if we were able to access global chat from battle instances
  • Not sure how the MM Balancer works, but it might need some tuning. Once we (my brig and a cutter) got matched against a brig and 4 cutters, all players - We didn't even get AI to balance it out on our side. This issue might resolve it self once the game is released for the masses
  • Wind indicator seems off, on some maps i've noticed it's shifted 90° to the left. Gave my brain a hard time lol
  • I'm not sure if new players should be thrown into the cutter. It's a pain to get along with it, also you need to be very careful with your shots. One grape volley can kill 75% of your crew. Maybe want to set the Brig as the starter ship.
  • Overall combat is nice, as known from NA Sandbox. Good job on that.
  • Maybe make it impossible for matches where one side has a decent advantage in numbers of ships (e.g. 2v5) to get placed on the map where you can capture the enemy base to win. Not much the under-sized team can do in that scenario, really.
  • Would be nice to have a map without any circles to worry about.

And things I'd love to see for the future:

• All current ships implemented :-)
  • More gamemodes to choose from, e.g. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, ... 5v5, or whatever.
  • Custom battle lobby which we can either lock with a password or just set as open to join for everyone. There we could test any scenarios. (without rewards)
  • More customization possibilites, possibly for real money. I'd love to be able to give my ship a personal touch, be it with a custom flag or paintjob or whatever.
  • Some sort of achievements, which unlock extra ranks you can display

Edited by Liq

Now I remember the game mode from the Sea Trials: The map gets smaler to the end of the battle... It was an closing in circle. I liked that a lot!

Edited by karacho

The pickle would be a much better starting ship

Edited by z4ys

Yeah already posted somewhere else that 2-mast manual sailing on a cutter just feels wrong gameplay wise.
I think that cna easily repell new players later.

Better bring a pop-up for a tutorial about manual sailing as soon as you get the the first ship with 2 "real" masts.
Just my 2 cents.

I know the XP values are changing but the progression curve looks a little flat from the XP numbers on the collection screen. Might be better to get people out of the cutter/6th rates a bit quicker and slow it much more after that.

Haven't played too much yet but I see there is a spot for officers and equipment. Personally would love it if this game had no mods. 

Would be cool if you could create teams with your Steam friends. 

11 minutes ago, Liq said:

I feel like if you get to fix the tunring lag and #FakeWind it'll be great.

I'm still worried about the capture points and forts. The one circle capture point I can get behind because it's a single target for all, so it gets us all fighting in the same area, but the three circle capture points just deter fighting. It gives people a reason to not fight, why would someone go into a brawl and maybe win, when they can just afk sail for 30 mins capture all three zones and win by points. On the subject of forts I can see why you added them, but I'm not sure if they have a place here. It is just another way to deter actual player pvp. Why go and fight someone in a fair XvX situation when you can capture the fort and sit there, to which the enemies only response is to go capture the point, both scenarios lead to less fighting. Just my two cents, but I feel like to win should mean to sink the enemy and win a glorious battle, not "Oh well while my team is fighting I can just go capture all three points cya guys in 30 mins."

Question:

Would it be possible to give us access to 6th-5th rates in the next playable version? I understand that in the end we'll all have to level up from zero, but for testing purposes it seems a little boring, spending several hours every time the XP get wiped just to test actual battles.

Pretty much everything that wanted to say has already been said but so far im very excited for the future of na legends and please add custom battles for us.

Edited by SeaWolf_

Personally I do not think if it stays as is it will hold my attention for long. I tried WoWs and I did not enjoy it and this looks like the same game but with sailing ships.

Dont get me wrong, I played and had fun, but I do not believe it can hold my attention for a long time.

I only managed to just get out of the cutter and into a Brig for one battle during the time I played and I do not know how the game will scale up once bigger ships are unlocked. Personally I do not believe that 30 minutes will be anywhere near enough for a lineship battle, I think even frigates will struggle in that time. For smaller agile ships it is okay as those type of battles usually end up as a free for all brawl. For bigger ships you need more organisation and time to get into formation and decide on tactics.

I also dislike how you are randomly thrown together as a team, this is okay for people who want a quick fix, but I personally would prefer to be able to choose what team I join or am invited to. At present we are playing against other players that have had experience playing the game, and they may be good or bad players but they are interested in a successful game. Whats it going to be like when the game goes on general release and you end up grouped with a bunch of people who are just in it for a laugh and are happy to go around shooting anything and ramming into each other just for a laugh.

If it remains as is the game will I think have a following based on some of the comments I have seen here, from people who want quick short action and do not mind who is on their team, but I hope there will also be the ability to set up custom battles and have a lobby where people can set up into different teams. Custom games should be able to be set up on different maps with different objectives and different ship setups and time allowed for the battle.

Overall I hope to continue testing to see the game succeed, if nothing else I hope it will help the OW game.

What are the plans on balancing between ship classes, will unrated ships, frigates and lineships just be thrown together in a battle or will the play seperated? How can all classes be kept viable, or will maintenance costs keep the balance (like WoWS).

One on my favourite game was stellar impact. A lol game in the space with different class of ships.

It does due of matchmaking and few number of player.

How are you going to not fall like them?

Their battle was 30min and it was already hard to survive.

How to complete fast matchmaking with 1 hour battle?

How many people do you need from make it works?

14 hours ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

One on my favourite game was stellar impact. A lol game in the space with different class of ships.

It does due of matchmaking and few number of player.

How are you going to not fall like them?

Their battle was 30min and it was already hard to survive.

How to complete fast matchmaking with 1 hour battle?

How many people do you need from make it works?

It is going to be a free game. It is going to be a lot easier to attract players due to no barrier to entry.

38 minutes ago, admin said:

It is going to be a free game. It is going to be a lot easier to attract players due to no barrier to entry.

I think you need to run some massive changes in that case.

Currently the Games entry barrier is crazy high due to how complicated the Game is.

Just now, Sunleader said:

I think you need to run some massive changes in that case.

Currently the Games entry barrier is crazy high due to how complicated the Game is.

Eh. i think you are mistaking it with the open world edition.
Legends only barrier is combat complexity (easy to learn and hard to master) and it is great for this type of game. Majority of steam players love challenge (lol, dota, cs, pubg, wot) and are not interested in clicker heroes type experiences.

Holy framerate, Batman!

I believe I had the counter at 99, everything was smooth as funk.

Never seen anything even remotely close in this game ever.