Game-Labs Forum
admin

Combat feedback topic

Ships like cutters, lynxes, niagaras have terrible aiming cameras. It is very hard to aim and shoot. That really can reject many players from the game in early stages as it represents totally different immersive feeling than majority of the ships.

Maybe this camera view could be changed? Current issue is that you can barely see anything during aiming from the low-profile ships.

Edited by Peter Goldman

Really enjoying fighting with zero repair, if someone makes a mistake and is raked by a couple of players there needs to be permanent consequences. I never really enjoyed the fighting when the meta was simply who can use the repairs better.

I know it's very early but the Cutter (as it is at the moment) really doesn't feel like the right ship to throw new players onto in a free to play environment. I'd be wary about moving onto early access without sailing/shooting tutorials or arcade-ifying the cutter for new players

Vanishing cannon balls seem to be back.
Hits on water or ships, including own ship without happening anything.
No wood flying, water gushing or hits.

I'm liking what I see for the most part, but here are a few bugs I've found:

• Basic Cutter handles like a brick. I think the best way I could describe it is: "very un-cutterlike," certainly nothing like what the cutter feels like on NA servers. It could use some tweaking in regards to turn rate and turn acceleration.
  • Turning is very jumpy. My ship turns a bit and then stops turning then starts turning again. Thats no good.
  • After I installed, I had some sort of bug that prevented me from joining battles: I'd get to the loading screen where the balancer is, but I didn't get the option to press join. I sent an F11 then logged out and back in; still had the same problem. I was able to resolve the problem by verifying the integrity of the files and restarting Steam. 

Now, some things that I think need tuning:

• Maps seem too large for a 6v6 engagement and it takes too long to traverse the map. Consider making the maps smaller.
  • Give us a mini-map in battle Just like in regular NA. I like the map you have associated with TAB key, but we need to be able to zoom in and click on ships to see their name, ship type, health and such.
  • We should be able to see battle chat history for the duration of the battle (the same way as live servers).
  • Repairs: a hot issue, to be sure, but I think we could settle for the same system that NA used to use: emergency repair on a cooldown, 1 hull repair, 1 rig repair, no timers on hull or rig repair.
  • We need to be able to command AI: I'm not sure what the best way to set this up would be...maybe the player with the largest ship/highest rank should have the option to set a focus for AI (capture circle A, sink a particular player, attempt to board enemies, etc.)
  • AI doesn't seem to know how to operate around shallows. In one battle, nearly all of the AI ran aground and stuck hard. I simply sailed behind them, stopping on their quarters and sinking them one at a time. Screenshot attached:311310_screenshots_20170922213817_1.thumb.jpg.5fa6bb2f3db455b75bbae1746d1e39ff.jpg
  • Manual sailing on the cutter: I am happy to see it implemented, but it seems to be bugged: both in auto skipper and when I use it to manually correct the sail orientation. In this screenshot, you can see the way the sails are turned on auto-skipper and the way the wind is blowing. That is completely wrong for this tack. Also I think others mentioned it, but the wind sometimes seems to be coming from a different direction than the compass indicates, but in this situation, the flag shows the true wind to be the same as the compass arrow.311310_screenshots_20170922172801_1_LI.thumb.jpg.c4f3762e09c9859c12aa5a2fbf36094d.jpg
  • A graphics tweak needed on the cutter: the shrouds are in the way of aiming, perhaps make them transparent or just remove them entirely from the aiming view. I think semi-transparent would look the best (like the sails when you have that option selected).311310_screenshots_20170922213239_1_LI.thumb.jpg.3bd42da9bb7ac4fe87cc003b629e5cbc.jpg
  • The BR balancer could use some adjusting: there was one fight I was in that had 5 Cutters and 1 Brig vs 4 Cutters and 2 Brigs; thats a bit unbalanced. Removing 1 or 2 Cutters from the team with 2 Brigs would have been more a even fight.
  • Lastly, perhaps consider lowering the XP required to unlock the Brig: most players who get this game will likely want to get a taste of sailing a true square-rigged ship as soon as possible. I know I enjoyed regular NA much more once I managed to capture a Snow and crew it. That was back in the good old days of exploding Snows and capsizing Lynxes...good times I had as a noob playing in those captured ships  ^_^. This game really does have excellent square-rigged ships to sail: give the new players easy, quick access to get a Brig of their own command.

Thats all I can think of right now, I'll continue playing testing a bit more of NA Legends :).  Thanks for the code and opportunity to test it.

The gameplay feels a little more choppy than regular NA, stuttering on turns, delays on shots.

The UI is already nicer than vanilla, but little things like current experience/rank should be more easily displayed.

Post battle results should be clearer and easier to bring up, sometimes it just doesn't seem to activate.

I think we need the circles to stop someone just sailing off into the distance and boring out a draw. They don't really effect the games as of yet as they don't seem to score 'quickly' enough, but as an anti run n kite I like em.

XP seems crazy slow, I have played 4 games, lost one, in the one I lost I got 1 kill (player) and 4 assists (AI) and earned (drum roll.....31xp !). Maybe for testing purposes, make us premium ?

For day One...tis exciting.

Wind indicator still seems bugged, i sent an f11 report

csy98ufr.jpg?width=1202&height=677

Edited by Liq

I really like the absence of repairs in the current battles. Every success and every mistake becomes more meaningful that way. In addition it shortens the fights which is a good thing in this type of game I guess. (Although I think timelimits shouldn't be too short since this isn't about speedboats.)

In my opinion the Cutter is quite okay as the first ship for new players. Since you don't really have to care about sailing in the Cutter, you can focus completely on gunnery. Of course the Cutter isn't the most stable platform and thus makes it hard to hit something. But learning to aim and to sail at the same time on a ship like the Brig would be much harder from my point of view. After all the Brig isn't that forgiving once you got yourself into a bad position.

The kill for boarding should be rewarded to the boarder, not to the player that dealt the most damage. Easily exploitable right now. An AI pulls a teammate, they engage in boarding (which will go on forever because they have near equal crew), and someone will park their ship right next to the enemy and pound it to 0 without getting return fire, while what they do isn't really helping anyone as if our guy wins the boarding, the enemy is out even if it was still full HP, and the boarding teammate will be pretty much out of the battle with the remaining skeleton crew.

Boarding kills should be rewarded to the boarder.

Edited by kumisz
typo

On 9/23/2017 at 10:39 AM, Willis PVP2 said:

After I installed, I had some sort of bug that prevented me from joining battles: I'd get to the loading screen where the balancer is, but I didn't get the option to press join. I sent an F11 then logged out and back in; still had the same problem. I was able to resolve the problem by verifying the integrity of the files and restarting Steam. 

I had this exact bug the second day I played. I found out it was due to my steam nickname. I wanted to use a different name and changed my steam nickname before launching. I never could get passed the loading screen for battle. I went back to steam and changed my nickname back and it worked normally.

I read a lot of complaints about the cutter. I still like it though. I love the addition of topsail control. Some believe it shouldn't be the first ship given to noobs but I disagree. You have to start somewhere and it is a fantastically dynamic ship. Maybe you could aid the noobs by making it a little more accurate. Otherwise, it is fast maneuverable, requires leading a ship even at close range, exact use of focuses, angling, and is low to the water making it hard to hit. Sure, even I don't want to sail it for long but it only took me a few battles to get to the brig. Even the tier 1 ships in WoW only takes a battle or two to get out of.

12 hours ago, kumisz said:

The kill for boarding should be rewarded to the boarder, not to the player that dealt the most damage. Easily exploitable right now. An AI pulls a teammate, they engage in boarding (which will go on forever because they have near equal crew), and someone will park their ship right next to the enemy and pound it to 0 without getting return fire, while what they do isn't really helping anyone as if our guy wins the boarding, the enemy is out even if it was still full HP, and the boarding teammate will be pretty much out of the battle with the remaining skeleton crew.

Boarding kills should be rewarded to the boarder.

Yes but this can be easily exploited the other way. A player has been shooting a ship and knocks the crew down, when a teammate closes in and boards, easily winning the melee and getting the kill. Didn't he then just steal the kill from the shooting player?

55 minutes ago, DeRuyter said:

Yes but this can be easily exploited the other way. A player has been shooting a ship and knocks the crew down, when a teammate closes in and boards, easily winning the melee and getting the kill. Didn't he then just steal the kill from the shooting player?

There could be a system to decide that then. If the enemy is taking on water purely by structural damage ( ---> unstoppable sinking, not just a few unlucky leak shots), the kill should be awarded to the shooter. Otherwise, the boarder.

21 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

So make it that if a ship gets boarded split the XP depending on how much crew each player killed.

Да введите хоть здесь ограничения по боезапасу, в наваляшке уже сколько раз предлагали и максимум по одному ремонту начиная с 4 рангов.

Today I tried to repair my Mercury's sails but wasn't able to do so because the urgent repair was still on cooldown. Only after the cooldown timer elapsed I was allowed to use my sail repair. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or working as intended so I didn't send a F11 report.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:32 AM, Jeremiah Gunsmoke said:

Today I tried to repair my Mercury's sails but wasn't able to do so because the urgent repair was still on cooldown. Only after the cooldown timer elapsed I was allowed to use my sail repair. I'm not sure whether this is a bug or working as intended so I didn't send a F11 report.

I had the same issue; i F11 it anyway.

ahoy

just played my first battle at "nighttime" .it was extremely hard for me (wearing glasses already :-)) to figure out who was friend and enemy in that battle because it was just to dark.

i still wonder how often i hit friendly ships :-)

and that brings me to the point : is it possible to have a soundfeedback for friendly fire ? something like sailors screaming "we killed our mates captain"

and i would like to suggest that a lobby is developed where players can set things like daytime ,nighttime,shipclass,number of players ,circles on /off etc

greetings

2 hours ago, elvismolotov said:

and that brings me to the point : is it possible to have a soundfeedback for friendly fire ? something like sailors screaming "we killed our mates captain"

That would help some players in Naval Action aswell :D

I wonder how often we shouted to some people in a Portbattle, because they were shooting on their mates ^^

I really think stern and bow-tanking is a thing in NAL currently. Has the crew/cannon loss been reduced compared to regular NA?

Also, as was pointed out in another thread, structure damage should be a lot higher, and I don't think there should be a limit as to how much structure can be destroyed through stern and bow.

Another issue exclusive to NAL is that the damage to masts through bow and stern raking is near useless since a) we have a rig repair (and only that, so you don't have to prioritise between rig and hull when repairing), and b) battles are usually over before damage to rig/masts has any real effect. You'd have to be really fast and efficient to take down a mast, then do it again after the rig repair, and then capitalise on it - while in the meantime your hull is probably getting hammered (paired with the fact that you can't take control of a boarded ship).

14 hours ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

I really think stern and bow-tanking is a thing in NAL currently. Has the crew/cannon loss been reduced compared to regular NA?

Also, as was pointed out in another thread, structure damage should be a lot higher, and I don't think there should be a limit as to how much structure can be destroyed through stern and bow.

Another issue exclusive to NAL is that the damage to masts through bow and stern raking is near useless since a) we have a rig repair (and only that, so you don't have to prioritise between rig and hull when repairing), and B) battles are usually over before damage to rig/masts has any real effect. You'd have to be really fast and efficient to take down a mast, then do it again after the rig repair, and then capitalise on it - while in the meantime your hull is probably getting hammered (paired with the fact that you can't take control of a boarded ship).

Stern and bowtanking is a thing in NA as long as I play it which is over a year now. There was a very small window where it wasnt a thing but it was very small.

6 minutes ago, la Touche-Treville said:

The only spars I managed to damage so far are Bowspirits by ramming. Can we still demast with cannon balls?

You can easily demast topmasts.

The real demmasting will happen once you reach a 18 pound frigate. 6/9 pounders or even carros arent that good to do it