Game-Labs Forum
admin

Map and battle type feedback

11 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Niels Terkildsen

I’ve a huge amount of sympathy here 

Battle Report…

In context they had won the ship battle, but were late in re-capping the bottom right circle A. This left me the only surviving player with a race against time. With Niels team seeing their points quickly tick up, we alternatively saw a slow drip increase. The points roughly 750 Neils to 880 Norfolk.

My choices were limited having failed to sink the Brig fnord, and the Ceberus baring down I tried to go for the overall points win. If you look at Neils final map my Position and the Ceberus are at the bottom right. At this distance I am at the BATTLE ARENA limits I can go no further…

It was a really good battle with the Ceberus giving them fire power while we had an extra ship. So, balanced probably say it was tipped slightly in Niels favor but not by much. Both sides played really well.

I can't really blame you for staying alive, I'm not so much salty about that as I am about how the circles work.

I think it was a very balanced battle, but honestly I think it was in your favour seeing as our Mercury was AFK through the whole battle, and I had to handle a carronade Navy Brig and a Brig alone; I only won the battle for the lower left circle because the Brig tried to board me with lower crew, and I defeated him in the rock-paper-scissor-game.

11 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

The Circle Problem…

The Circles are an additional strategic element of the game. Personally, I think they detract from the BATTLE itself and the main goal/objective of NA-L.

Even though I like the idea of circles I’d prefer them in NA-OW PB. You might win the battle but not the war. In NA-L I think they detract too much from the core idea…

The problem is that the circles keep ticking, even when you have less than the other team. This is only a problem for the three-circle maps, and I really don't think they work well - i.e. they should be removed (at least until there's a change in how they work, so the points only tick for the team with most circles for example; just like in conquest games such as the Battlefield series).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

The problem is that the circles keep ticking, even when you have less than the other team.

This is the key strategic element that implies something else will happen outside this BATTLE. So, for instance allied reinforcements time of arrival for either side. This is the reason why I think the Dev’s use the counter tick continuance.

Again, whichever way we want to look at it the circles imply something more outside the BATTLE instance. This I think is wrong. The case of running away here again is limited with the ARENA size.

Norfolk

Another issue with the fort map..

The capturable bases should only be capturable after about 15 minutes. Had a player in a merc. going for our base, and as my  team did not see him in time, I had to stay back (in our biggest ship, cerb). I was out of the main fight, our team lost due to not having the firepower. He even said "you know what I just did to you - I took you out of the fight" - How can that be fun for anyone? That's just griefing

• Like 1

The Fort & Two Circles Issue…

The situation @Liq describes I’ve seen and also taken advantage of as focus centers on the FORT. One makes a B-Line for the enemy Base or neutralizes an enemy player having to defend its own base. Again, like The Three Circles Problem above Its an additional strategic element that I believe detracts from the original idea of NA-L and is really NA-OW type situation.

Change the Circle Values…

A suggestion of a 15-minute block on BASE capturable circles is definitely a good solution by @Liq. Another I had was to devalue the importance of circle capture. Rather than making it a BATTLE ending scenario at 1000 points, it adds the Dev’s intended element instead.

My Quote above….

This is the key strategic element that implies something else will happen outside this BATTLE. So, for instance allied reinforcements time of arrival for either side. This is the reason why I think the Dev’s use the counter tick continuance.

The Points xp are given to the side reaching 1000 first then that team sees the addition of say three AI ships suddenly added to their side. This reflecting the reinforcement arrivals maybe intended by the Dev’s strategic addition.

This in itself is not a Game wining scenario but may help tip the balance. Three additional AI ships you might believe won’t add much benefit to your cause so you won’t pursue the circles and fight to the better end instead. Or like in my case against Niels Team them fresh extra 3 ships may help but probably wouldn’t thus giving them the battle victory.

Maybe over cooking it, but either way the taking of the Circles needs to be devalued in my humble opinion in all the differing scenarios.

Norfolk

Hi all!

Just a quick thought I had: What do you think about inverting the fort-map? I mean switching the focus and main objective to only one circle in the middle of the map that has to be hold (not captured, but every ship inside gives points for the team over time -> main fight area). Then there can be one or multiple forts nearby, that can get captured optionally and help firing on the enemy ships inside the main circle. Therefore capturing a fort can help with the main objective (sinking enemy ships and reducing enemy presence), but comes with the trade-off of not being part of the group that holds the circle. Fort strength just needs to be balanced, to be worth it but not op.

The feedback on current maps:

• Map with the fort - cool with the smaller ships, clogged with the bigger, very messy (but sometimes quite fun)
  • Map with towers - haven't tried
  • Map with 1 capture circle - Fantastic fun, Loving it
  • Map with 3 capture circles (port battle style) - Too spread out, but like others said, when we get to Ships of the Line it might shine
  • Map with 2 home zones (wot style) - Decent, still prefer 1 circle

Suggestions:

• Bring Back the shrinking circle from the Sea Trials (can be partially over land, but never fully)
  • variation of this mechanic could be a PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds circle shrinking in unpredictable directions (would force players to move) (i would put both to test)
  • ....also introduce 2 modes on those map: Team Deathmatch (as it is today) and a Free-For-All, last ship standing (or atleast not sunk yet)
  • also bring back heavy storm with waves map from Sea Trials (just don't make it too frequent)
  • Bring back Duel (1 vs 1) with 2 flavors: 1. Same ship, 2. Similar ship and a sidekick (these should be only PvP) bots not included.
Edited by Grunf
clarifications

fort map sucks because of the circles. the fight is around the fort and people only ever go for circle if they think they can sneak a victory with it.

circles should promote fighting over positional advantage, on this map they only derail from the fight (even in 10v10).

• Like 1

Maybe add some defensive/ offensive gamemodes where one team needs to kill a couple of towers or so and the other defend.

- also pls add bonus xp to winning team

Edited by TrackTerror
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2017 at 6:11 PM, Jon Snow lets go said:

fort map sucks because of the circles. the fight is around the fort and people only ever go for circle if they think they can sneak a victory with it.

circles should promote fighting over positional advantage, on this map they only derail from the fight (even in 10v10).

I'm not sure, the fort is so important to get because it puts out some serious damage (to small ships anyway (cerb, three fortsalvo's took a whole flank and half of it's structure)). Once the fort is capped, and you can't recap immediately, the extra damage those fortguns give is considerable over time. So the team that lost the fort has a better survival/winningchance to get away from it and move the battle elsewhere.   It creates some kind of dynamic in the fight other than 'just sink them!'?

Some circles do take some time to get to ... could some maps be reserved for higher playernumbers, so it would make more sense to split up?

Also, if you can tie up a bigger ship, so your team can focus on the rest of the opponent, why is that griefing? (maybe i think too much in open world?)

Should NA-L just be furballs all the time? (just asking, maybe i misunderstand)

• Like 1

What’s the current Dev view on the Circle situation?

@admin

Just wanted to ask. Love the game and progress so far. Current play involves now a Gentleman’s Agreement NOT to go Cap Circles. When it comes to the FORT its not quite the same. All the same players need to make the agreement in order for most of the maps to work. This highlights some mechanic needs changing.

You’ve had three pages feedback and wondered what your thoughts are?

Do you think DEFENDER v ATTACKER type situations can be worked in like PBs in OW?

Norfolk.

• Like 1