Game-Labs Forum
admin

Map and battle type feedback

Id like to see a map with 2 or 3 circles where one circle is shallow water area. Means small ships fight for one circle and bigger ships for the other 2. So every ship has impact. Works obv only with mixed fleets and 10+ ships on each sides.

Errr that would mean having something like ship of the lines in a battle together with... something like a snow?
Poor snow :(

Or don't you mean that much shallow?

For now we rarely see capturing at all...

Edited by isard

5 hours ago, isard said:

For now we rarely see capturing at all...Errr that would mean having something like ship of the lines in a battle together with... something like a snow?
Poor snow :(

Or don't you mean that much shallow?

Why not? Snow doesnt have to fight the 1st rates ofc, it can fight against equal ships in shallow areas where the big boys cant reach them. Its also good for matchmaking, means you can participate in battles no matter how much you grinded and gives newer player a reason to aim for the big ships (after they got shot from a broadside from a Santi).

For now we rarely see capturing at all...

Thats only because theres a lot of AI around atm, circle points are unbalanced and team size is limited to 5. Will get fixed for sure, its still early beta.

On 04/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, Jon Snow lets go // NeeRo said:

Id like to see a map with 2 or 3 circles where one circle is shallow water area. Means small ships fight for one circle and bigger ships for the other 2. So every ship has impact. Works obv only with mixed fleets and 10+ ships on each sides.

not sure I'm a fan of having areas of the same map where certain ships can't get to. What happens when one team wins the 'large' ship circle but then can't reach the other circle? Feels like some matches will be just waiting for the time to run out.

Maybe each smaller ship could give different bonuses to nearby ships etc rather than having shallows? or maybe larger ships can get to shallow area but have massive debuffs as the entire crew is working on getting the ship through the area etc?

Hmmm i dont know if it is such a good idea to have a big spread like this.
In similar arena type games that works because even the small ones have good chances to bring down bigger targets or they are at least a valuable asset.

World of Warships a DD can kill a BB with tropedos (which are incredible op on some ships) or constantly set stuff aflame.
War Thunder small tanks have sometimes really nice und onr shoot your side/back if you let them. Also they can take cover more easily.
World of Tanks... well mabye worst example... they are needed to scout the enemy or go for fast caps, hunt artillery, ...

But in NA Legends?
With multiple ships around a snow would most likely be blewn to smithereens pretty fast.
And that is defnitly not enjoyable for the recieving end.
There are no torpedos, no scouts needed and it has no chance against a ship of the line (or frigate) other than ignoring it or get and stay behind.
Getting behind means that the enemy is alone since you wont stand much chance of the ship of the line has other ships around - everyone would go for the fast kill.

Only going for capture points?
That would mean until you are on a frigate you only have like 1/3rd of the game.

I really thought about that but no way I can think of would give a snow player a statisfactionary gameplay.
Or at least I can hardly think of any.

Maybe a slightly different approach would work:
You play with your own ship +/- a fix amount of previous and next ships.
So a snow would play against: Brig (-2), Navy Brig (-1), Snow, (??? +1), (??? +2).
But that on the other hand would need a bigger active playerbase or you will wait ages for battles.
That reminds me: We don't have second rates in at the moment. 1st rate would only fight 1st, 3rd and 4th atm (but that might be fine).

Edited by isard

2 forts/1 fort maps added back (with fixed wind). Please provide feedback on these new game types.

@Fellvred Having objectives or a fort in a shallow area will promote diverse fleets and tactics. If all your small ships get sunk then yes you will have a problem capping that circle just like if your mortar brig gets sunk, well no points for the fort. We just need a queuing system that allows you to see the force composition and map. In WT you can do this b/c you see the map and then selection which vehicle you bring in first.  

If you remember from ST smaller ships allowed in the larger battles would harass the rear of the line, so I think there is a role for unrated ship and small frigates in all battles.

Today I got a good example of capture points, playtime and efficiency.
In the 3-Circle Map one enemy went right off to capture the middle and then the top circle.20171008110725_1.thumb.jpg.2ec2e0ee2c6a00ec33b3b5278a64eb53.jpg

That took him around 8 minutes to reach and capture the middle circle.
20171008111207_1.thumb.jpg.a14cf70df8cbe51c2897f94e2e1e0990.jpg

After something around 19(!!!) Minutes he reached the top circle. Meanwhile we ripped apart his allies.
20171008112314_1.thumb.jpg.38db578caf06139aa9f76a1706ee0858.jpg

Also that means we need to go for him for another like 8-10 minutes if he kept the course.

To sum things up:
- One goes off to cap the far away circles
- After 20 minutes he made a mere 366/1000 points while his allies are dead or close to be
- We had to run after him for another 8 to 10 minutes after we got him.
- Game went for 35 minutes with 5 minutes to the enemy, 9 minutes chase the lone wolf = 21min battle/14 min doing nothing
=> 14 "boring" minutes and the cap cirles in this map clearly dont work for victory (we won the game)
=> With bigger ships the time issue would have been much greater since they are slower.

Previously I stepped back from my point of view that the maps are too big but after this battle I have to say I will stick to it. They are too big and on top of it even the far away circles dont help you winning at all. It is just a waste of time to go there.

An other and very fun example for a map is this:20171007083603_1.thumb.jpg.bd004bf0d929d112691c4e58561eccec.jpg

It is small, fast and fun.
Only the tower is a little strong against small ships but on the other hand both teams have a fair chance capturing it.
I lost this map multiple times now but it was always different: Tower shot us down, enemy just played better, one ship came through to our base and capped it, ...
It is simply a great and fun map imho.

Edited by isard

8 minutes ago, isard said:

the far away circles dont help you winning at all. It is just a waste of time to go there.

People will figure this out and stop doing it.

1 minute ago, jodgi said:

I hope so but that does not solve the peoplem since new players will try it as well.

7 hours ago, isard said:

I hope so but that does not solve the peoplem since new players will try it as well.

Sure they will. Or they will sail away upwind, beam or downwind cap or no cap. It will drag things out a bit but in the end you can just cap out a runner.

13 hours ago, jodgi said:

Doesn't that make the circles a fake feature ( regarding this map)?

Map should be changed to be more fun and working objectives or tested with the right amount of players (like the 3circle map divided by islands which is a 25v25 map).

Edited by z4ys

38 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Doesn't that make the circles a fake feature

Sure, if you want to call it that. Base capture in wot is a fake feature 80% of the time.

I look at the three circles as a way to deal with runners, we honestly need this backup system as we had runners in Sea Trials too.

That doesn't mean things can't be improved.

9 hours ago, jodgi said:

Sure, if you want to call it that. Base capture in wot is a fake feature 80% of the time.

I look at the three circles as a way to deal with runners, we honestly need this backup system as we had runners in Sea Trials too.

That doesn't mean things can't be improved.

Ofc we need circels. But does it have to be in a annoying way? We have the chance to do things right and not to follow old habits simply because things have always been done this way.

Edited by z4ys

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

Ofc we need circels. But does it have to be in a annoying way? We have the chance to do things right and not to follow old habits simply because things have always been done this way.

Circles are needed vs griefers that would otherwise shoot sails and then run around the map for 1 hour.

I would make the circles smaller and put them closer together tho

I think i played 6 or more battle in NA L.

- Maps are fine, however how about one or two plain sea/deep sea map, i did not see one yet ? Battle where not always fought close to coast.

- We need a training map/mode. A simple area where you can test your new ship and learn how to sail without enemy.

Maybe devs can add some buoys so newbies can learn how to manoeuvre better around them. This would be very useful for newbies, NA L is not your classic " forward + mouse button 1" ship game, learning while in real match and under fire is good for frustration and mistakes.

On 6. 10. 2017 at 4:57 PM, admin said:

2 forts/1 fort maps added back (with fixed wind). Please provide feedback on these new game types.

1. Indication of capture/uncapture is not clear (only flag on a fort?), it should be indicated in UI more prominently.

2. After capture of fort, there should be some waiting time (30sec-1min) before it start shoot so enemy have time to try to recapture or clear area. 

3. Friendly fort is shooting regardless of friendly ships. I've got smashed by friendly fort because I was in line of fire.

Could be only me, but the circles are quite irritating (optic) if you sail a ship with the point of view close to the water during aiming. White top of the waves, white circles ...
Maybe the circles could be a little more subtle.

If its only me ingore it :P

Edited by OlFson

Map feedback…

Less is more…

The In-game map I sort of like but would like to zoom in and out. The lack of enemy details on ships I really like.  A lot of players here have stated different arguments for different views and all relevant.

Can the Map without too much hassle have a toggle feature? So, you can switch off “Noise” or “see all”? Drill down menu perhaps?

In Battle maps…

On a similar topic, saving real estate can the BATTLE MAP (lower right) and the Compass Map (lower Left) somehow be combined?

I like the different styles of circles etc. More verity but spacing of some circles with the smaller ships is a tad wide…

Norfolk

I would like to have some light about something. My team captured and scored a 100% very fast at the start of the battle thanks to a "bait" & delay tactic that worked very well.

However, when i got back to the menu it is like we won nothing.

Exception of ending the battle too early (less xp/gold) or stop trolling, what capture points are good for?

Isn't best to ignore them and farm shots & assist instead (that is what i do now and i have seen people starting to do the same and ignore them)?

I'm starting to hate the fort map... it's always a bloody mess, both teams pretty much HAVE TO get to  that tiny area around the fort to prevent the enemy from capping it... 

Brig Graveyard:

DPzU80Q.jpg

Honestly, these circles are retarded sometimes: We had basically won this battle, having sunk all but one ship, controlled two out of three circles, but we still lost due to the constant tick towards circle win:

lzIb701.jpg?1

cPhJlXX.jpg?1

sxZNAfL.jpg?2

qYDS1fl.jpg?2

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
Blurred the names of our opponents.

@Niels Terkildsen

I’ve a huge amount of sympathy here 

Battle Report…

In context they had won the ship battle, but were late in re-capping the bottom right circle A. This left me the only surviving player with a race against time. With Niels team seeing their points quickly tick up, we alternatively saw a slow drip increase. The points roughly 750 Neils to 880 Norfolk.

My choices were limited having failed to sink the Brig fnord, and the Ceberus baring down I tried to go for the overall points win. If you look at Neils final map my Position and the Ceberus are at the bottom right. At this distance I am at the BATTLE ARENA limits I can go no further…

It was a really good battle with the Ceberus giving them fire power while we had an extra ship. So, balanced probably say it was tipped slightly in Niels favor but not by much. Both sides played really well.

The Circle Problem…

The Circles are an additional strategic element of the game. Personally, I think they detract from the BATTLE itself and the main goal/objective of NA-L.

Even though I like the idea of circles I’d prefer them in NA-OW PB. You might win the battle but not the war. In NA-L I think they detract too much from the core idea…

Norfolk

Edited by Norfolk nChance