Game-Labs Forum

Increase ship spot distance in OW using spyglass

In OW as your sailing you can use the spyglass (shift) to zoom in on an area . as i understand it, you dont see anything further with it you just zoom in on what you can already see in OW.

my suggestion is to make it so the spyglass is more functional and a benefit to those who use it in OW. The KEY IS Open world, OW.

So my proposal is if you use the spyglass in OW and you scan the horizon you can spot the sails of OTHER ships regardless of enemy or not, maybe 10 or 20 percent further away? perhaps larger ships get an even better bonus of a few percent more as well.

this makes spyglass in the game more functional and historically it did help increase the distance you could recognize or spot things. you would see people use this  A LOT more to spot ships earlier.

• Like 6

We can already see almost historical distances .... the Spyglass is to get better detail...  But heck I am one of those that wants you to have to be close to even ID more then Ship type...  Would love to have Fly Colors/Don't Fly Colors as an Option.. Until you decided to run up your colors there would be no way to know your Nation... Until you get into Battle there would be no way to know for sure the Captain unless you had had contact(combat)in the game with him in that Ship type... SO you wouldn't kown if that Single ships with 2 in his fleet is a Player or a AI until you actually get into the Battle instance unless he starts maneuvering in OW to get away or counter tags ect...

• Like 1

@Rebel Witch

OK increase ship spot distance but shorten the ID tag to much closer. Able to see the ID tag at an even greater distance is just wrong imho and should be shortened anyway.

Also remember the view distance is a cylindrical view so, no distance gain advantage with the Drone view only line of sight...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855697559

Norfolk.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rebel Witch said:

In OW as your sailing you can use the spyglass (shift) to zoom in on an area . as i understand it, you dont see anything further with it you just zoom in on what you can already see in OW.

my suggestion is to make it so the spyglass is more functional and a benefit to those who use it in OW. The KEY IS Open world, OW.

So my proposal is if you use the spyglass in OW and you scan the horizon you can spot the sails of OTHER ships regardless of enemy or not, maybe 10 or 20 percent further away? perhaps larger ships get an even better bonus of a few percent more as well.

this makes spyglass in the game more functional and historically it did help increase the distance you could recognize or spot things. you would see people use this  A LOT more to spot ships earlier.

I like the idea very much !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cortez said:

The Earth is round. You can`t spot sails or masts fully at very large distances.

2 hours ago, Rebel Witch said:

thanks for the science lesson, somehow i think my point was beneath you. :)

Let me help him a bit and put it this way: You could have a ship first appear in spyglass as sails only then as it gets closer you see the hull and even closer you see the flags and ID tag.  This is what happened when the lookout in the masthead spotted a ship that was far away. "On deck there sail ho!", "where away", "2 points to starboard".  Then the officers on deck get there telescopes, etc. 

I like your suggestion but given the way ships are rendered I am not sure they could increase the spotting distance. Less detail until the ship is closer would be great though and using the spyplass would increase this distance. 

2 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Let me help him a bit and put it this way: You could have a ship first appear in spyglass as sails only then as it gets closer you see the hull and even closer you see the flags and ID tag.  This is what happened when the lookout in the masthead spotted a ship that was far away. "On deck there sail ho!", "where away", "2 points to starboard".  Then the officers on deck get there telescopes, etc. 

I like your suggestion but given the way ships are rendered I am not sure they could increase the spotting distance. Less detail until the ship is closer would be great though and using the spyplass would increase this distance. 

There were a few very detailed discussions on this over a year ago on this forum, with calculation methodologies provided.  Using curvature of earth, and spotting sails emerging over the horizon from the crow's nest.  Devs already stated that it would be too much tax on the server to render it [more correctly], so we get the popping at a reasonable distance/location from your viewpoint.  I believe this is a good compromise, and most of us have learned to accept it as reasonable.

• Like 1

I was able to find a couple statements from those threads, to followup on above comment.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:21 AM, admin said:

2 coordinates vs 3 coordinates

more coordinates = less performance

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:42 AM, admin said:

adding another coordinate increases the transmitted data in geometrical progression especially if you see a lot of vessels. 

because data has to be sent to everyone about everyone you see.

5 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

can we get the spyglass mouse issues fixed first?

Are there issues with this?  I use the wheel for zoom, and the tracking for movement, and the clicking like normal to ID.  That seems to work, can you say what issues you are having?  (I have not read of any).

5 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

The watch or lookout would give mast count as soon as able. 

Case and point.

The Battle of Cape St Vincent (1797)

"There are eight sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"
"There are twenty sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"
"There are twenty five sail of the line, Sir John"
"Very well, sir"
"There are twenty seven sail of the line, Sir John"

"Enough, sir, no more of that; the die is cast, and if there are fifty sail I will go through them"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ehutchin78 said:

I still wish I had played way back when you had to click "hail" to see what type of ship or nation it was. You didn't have to hail back. It was a gamble and could be a game in and of itself. Wish we still had it. 

HUTCH78

That was a thing? MAn that would be awesme

4 hours ago, Quineloe said:

are you in windowed mode? In windowed mode, holding shift and mousing around the mouse cursor doesn't disappear like it does in a battle. makes it also very hard to click on things.

try this

In Game [Esc] and change controls. For me "left handed" change the Spyglass to [\] key. Works 10x with the mouse rather than shift key

On 9/22/2017 at 11:44 AM, Jean Ribault said:

Are there issues with this?  I use the wheel for zoom, and the tracking for movement, and the clicking like normal to ID.  That seems to work, can you say what issues you are having?  (I have not read of any).

ONly issue I have is when I come out of the spyglass I am facing where I started not the last direction I was looking...

7 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

ONly issue I have is when I come out of the spyglass I am facing where I started not the last direction I was looking...

I hate when using the spyglass that it is always on full zoom-in when first activated.  Especially in battle when you want to use the glass and almost always want it zoomed out some.

• Like 1