Game-Labs Forum

im looking for a fast, agile ship for pvp

Airborne017

Question

hello dear captains,

im looking for a fast pvp ship, i didnt do much pvp if we dont count my first 1v1 with a cutter(won). im looking for a renomme or suprise atm, and also im open for any advices.

its fast so i believe i can choose my fights,?

i can reach and help people who are in battle since its a fast ship?

if i got outnumbered i can run?

its a cheap ship so its expandable?

feel free to recommend any ship, but it shouldnt be too expensive so i wont feel bad if i lose it. my crew size is 350 atm. will be 650 in 1 or 2 days.

5 answers to this question

You're essentially looking at two ships: Ren, Surp. 

The Renommee seems to be what you're looking for, its wicked fast though lightly armed. It lacks bow chasers so it can't tag well, but its sheer speed can allow it to escape or catch pretty much anything. 

But, the Surprise is really unique. She's better armed, she has four stern chasers (very helpful for when being chased), two bow chasers for tagging, and her sailing qualities are really unique in that she fetches a high speed at a beam reach (if i recall correctly). She's really tough to catch but not phenomenally fast when chasing. 

Both ships are relatively cheap, the Ren only requires 30 guns so it's far cheaper to outfit if you're buying cannons right off the market in comparison to the Surprise with her 44 guns. 

On 20.09.2017 at 1:42 AM, _Masterviolin said:

You're essentially looking at two ships: Ren, Surp. 

The Renommee seems to be what you're looking for, its wicked fast though lightly armed. It lacks bow chasers so it can't tag well, but its sheer speed can allow it to escape or catch pretty much anything. 

But, the Surprise is really unique. She's better armed, she has four stern chasers (very helpful for when being chased), two bow chasers for tagging, and her sailing qualities are really unique in that she fetches a high speed at a beam reach (if i recall correctly). She's really tough to catch but not phenomenally fast when chasing. 

Both ships are relatively cheap, the Ren only requires 30 guns so it's far cheaper to outfit if you're buying cannons right off the market in comparison to the Surprise with her 44 guns. 

well i heard surprise is kind a pack of punch compared to renomee, since i dont know how these ships do in pvp battles much its really confusing me.

so renomme dont have any front cannons, will it cause issue?

On 20.09.2017 at 2:31 AM, Slim Jimmerson said:

Reno, Surp, Or Endy is what you want.

The good thing about the Reno And Endy is their base speeds are high enough to give you some room to pick a heavier wood like teak and still be faster than most ships after upgrades.

Surp is a good sailer but isn't remarkably fast Good in fleets.

i nearly never used endymion so far, so i have like 0 knowledge about that ship.

"The good thing about the Reno And Endy is their base speeds are high enough to give you some room to pick a heavier wood like teak and still be faster than most ships after upgrades." 

exactly, this also came up to my mind today. since this ships are fast i can also add some armor, and increase my survivalbility chance ^^

1 hour ago, Airborne017 said:

well i heard surprise is kind a pack of punch compared to renomee, since i dont know how these ships do in pvp battles much its really confusing me.

so renomme dont have any front cannons, will it cause issue?

The Ren lacking bow cannons is a bit of an issue. If you're chasing a ship in battle you want to keep it tagged in the battle by making sure you score a hit before the battle timer runs out. Having bow guns means you don't have to turn to present your broadside to try to hit your opponent. This is why bow cannons are so important.

Yet, this does not render the Ren useless. She is very, very fast and you should never end up in a scenario in which your quarry is sailing away ahead of you. You should be more than fast enough to start the battle very close to the enemy, and to continue to keep him in the range of your guns the whole way. 

So the Renommee is probably the better chase ship. However, the Surprise is simply a better fighting ship. It's better armed, still maneuverable, has excellent sailing qualities and as a result, is quite effective. The Surprise simply lacks the raw speed to catch up with ships. 

Put simply, the Ren is extremely fast whilst the Surprise is a powerful close-range fighter.