Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
springby

Holdfast: Nations at War

On 07/11/2017 at 9:03 PM, Hethwill said:

Nope. Rather stick with War of Rights for gunpowder era FPS.

Not even the naval bit is appealing.

"Faugh a Ballagh!"

I just got war of rights and agree it is much better. But wish it was napoleonic. Holdfast will do for now for an arcady napoleonic FPS with a lot of mates who are happy with it however. It's still a lot of fun. But the community is really immature compared to war of rights.

Got in on a little event at around 10.30am sat morning (AU EST +10). Only about 8 men per side on an 80 person server. But wow this game is great fun. Why? Because actual re-enactors who take it seriously are on. Drilling us to the front. What's more. Because it's not really that popular yet, the troops actually properly follow commands. The game is also great in that it has the actual animations for the correct moves. For instance their is a button to shoulder arms. Then to go to double quick which preserves stamina, you first have to change shoulder with Shift-x (rather than x which is shoulder) then press C to switch to double quick march. Then of course we right, left and oblique faced. We tried firing by lines as well, which means the person to the right fires first and as his musket\rifle butt hits the ground to reload you then fire and so on until the whole line has fired. I wish holdfast was more like this. I can tell you also that these american civil war weapons are deadly accurate. We also fixed bayonets and charged using drill commands from the re-enactors. Once across I was told to cover a man while he reloaded. Really good stuff and great for learning how these guys operate without having to go over to the US. Over all I love this game so far. It did however crash me to desktop half way through a battle. But quick to load back up again and apart from that, as you can see. The graphics are many times better than holdfast. The mechanics more realistic and the reload animation much more detailed just for starters.

Combat seems to revolve around capturing objectives.
I actually wish holdfast was like this as I do like the napoleonic period better.

The game is still missing artillery and cavalry from what I can see and apparently there has been no update to the game for some time. The servers are only populated on the weekend from what I am told

On 9/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, zolacat999 said:

Nice Video, I'm absolutely in love with this game at the moment, I think its just brilliant. I've also done a few videos of holdfast

You really have to wonder: How can using period tactics possibly be an advantage in this game? Or any FPS game?

On 12/8/2017 at 7:08 PM, maturin said:

You really have to wonder: How can using period tactics possibly be an advantage in this game? Or any FPS game?

I played Holdfast a bit before returning it and it seemed particularly bad in that respect--mostly riflemen sniping from cover or single soldiers dodging to close to melee range. With negligible morale issues and a low player density, the considerations that drove linear tactics are entirely absent.

That said, this game (at least the land side) seems very questionable--the actual experience of a NW-era soldier seems to provide less material for enjoyable gameplay than almost any other era I can think of. (By contrast, I think you could make a decently interesting TW:Arena-style game, with a focus on tactics above unit superiority.)

12 hours ago, Blothorn said:

That said, this game (at least the land side) seems very questionable--the actual experience of a NW-era soldier seems to provide less material for enjoyable gameplay than almost any other era I can think of. (By contrast, I think you could make a decently interesting TW:Arena-style game, with a focus on tactics above unit superiority.)

So true. The best game would be playing as an officer (in first person) and shuffling those unwieldy columns and lines of infantry around in a grand ballet.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:08 AM, maturin said:

That's the idea with WoR. Tests of mechanics specifics for age tactics under testing.