Game-Labs Forum

Work in progress: Dreadnoughts

admin

This is a topic for work in progress shots and stories about the game we have been tinkering with for the last 3-4 months

These are very very early WIP on the images that are generated for the ship recognition books from the 3d ship designer, that will give players full control over the ship design and visualize it all in 3d. 

Player will be able to place main turrets, secondary turrets, casemate turrets, superstructures, masts, funnels, and decide on the shape of the hull, armor, barbette placement… All having historical constraints naturally limiting the players from creating strange and impossible monsters. All affecting ship performance in combat and movement.

If we are able to achieve even 50% of what we want this will be a revolution in battleship games. 

Hope you enjoy it. Sorry for lower quality of the recognition book drafts but we can't show the rest. 
RLA2ZJd.jpg

• Like 27

40 minutes ago, CrispinKlander said:

Wow! Amazing!!! ANOTHER ETERNAL WIP GAME!!!

re: Eternal wip 
Captain who we quoted is trying to mislead you
Naval action is not delayed and is still in development as we never promised any dates.  If you are in doubt  visit steam page and read the warning that is shown right at the top of the store.

Why Early Access?
“Sea Trials is a long age of sail tradition. Captains of that time had a chance to test their vessel and provide feedback to the Admiralty on what needs to be changed to make the ship perform better. Extensive sea trials are required by the Admiralty to fully test if the ships in the game are seaworthy and ready for fighting.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We plan to stay in Early Access until core features of the game are finished and polished.”

NA is the only game in EA for us right now. Its a complex product and will be tuned for as long as it is needed to make it better.
We have not delayed a single game. We have already released 3 games that sold 400,000 copies (2 were released from early access). Studio has 4 more games in development in addition to NA.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, admin said:

All having historical constraints naturally limiting the players from creating strange and impossible monsters. All affecting ship performance in combat and movement.

(...) this will be a revolution in battleship games. 

That sounds like a multiplayer game to me. Fine I guess, as long as you don't make it too much like 'World Of Whatever' or don't make it unplayable for people who can't afford to dedicate their entire lives to it.

I do like the idea of being able to design your own ship, which is a feature I would have loved to see implemented in NA. I'm also excited to see turn-of-the-century ironclads and dreadnoughts get some attention from the video games/simulations industry.

Good luck with the project, reall yexcited to see where this might be going, please do keep us posted !

• Like 1

Looks promising. There has never been a good combat game for this time period. Maybe Storm Eagle's "JUTLAND" came close, but it was not exactly an easy to play game and they are notoriously bad with any support. Considering the mechanics of Naval Action are one of its best features, I have high hopes for this.

Will historical ships also be available, or just design your own? What constraints, besides the obvious, will be involved in construction? What sort of simulation will be involved (if any) for the advancement of technologies?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornelis Tromp said:

Age of Dreadnaughts would sound nice....

Only problem with that is you limit yourself to 1906 onwards.

But I like Age of Steel. Reminds me of "Castles of Steel" which was the name of Robert K. Massie's excellent book about WWI naval combat.

Edited by Sir R. Calder of Southwick
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I would turn the name of Naval Action into a franchise.

This way:

Naval Action: Age of sail.

Naval Action: Age of steel

Not a bad idea at all, only if gameplay mechanics are similar enough between titles in the franchise, which doesn't appear to be the case here.

• Like 1

Working title? My suggestion:

leadded seas!

With the ammount of shot flying around if all the main and secodary gun batteries are going at it? dam thats gonna be crazy.

And I really really like the idea of designing my own Batleship. Ive seen such a game bevore on youtube but cant possibly remember its name.. It was a really old title tho..

If we are going to be allowed to design our own BBs. I suggest that a stability model is needed.

At the battle of Tsushima I remember that the Russian ships had some sort of stability problem because of the way their ships were designed. However I am not sure how you show this in a game that is not open world. Because most of the problems happen during moderate or heavy seas rather than in the clear conditions battles usually happen in.

It would also be interesting to have the washington treaty implimented. This treaty forced nations to change their designs radically to fit within the constraints of the treaties weight limits. It resulted in ships like the Nelson, Rodney and Dunkerque. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 6:26 AM, BungeeLemming said:

Working title? My suggestion:

leadded seas!

With the ammount of shot flying around if all the main and secodary gun batteries are going at it? dam thats gonna be crazy.

And I really really like the idea of designing my own Batleship. Ive seen such a game bevore on youtube but cant possibly remember its name.. It was a really old title tho..

You are possibly thinking of Rule the Waves from NWS, already mentioned above.  Really not that old (2015), but sacrifices graphics for having just about everything else you could ever dream of in a wargame / sim for this era.  Really the only things missing are beautiful 3D ships (with first person bridge  and gunnery views), seas, coastlines and weather conditions. (hint, hint Gamelabs ;) Small order, right?)

Here is a nice overview of previous PC games for this era:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/the-wargamers-guide-to-ww1-naval-wargames/

p.s. title suggestion: Rise of the Dreadnoughts

Edited by akd
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, why try to compete with world of warships? I don't think you are going to draw too many of their customers with a similar game. Think you guys would be better off actually getting naval action running smoothly and released than developing a clone of world of warships. Just my 0.02

40 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Out of curiosity, why try to compete with world of warships? I don't think you are going to draw too many of their customers with a similar game. Think you guys would be better off actually getting naval action running smoothly and released than developing a clone of world of warships. Just my 0.02

What if it is something like Rule the Waves and not WoWs ? There's more games out there than meets the eye :)