Game-Labs Forum

Politics and PBs (Patch 11/12 - "Clan Wars")

Teutonic

Islamorada debrief:

We were short players and were handing out what 1st rates we had to some low and mid level experienced players that wanted to help and learn.  Once again we decided to try mortar brigs to shoot 1st rates which failed every prior attempt.  With 23 ships, 3 mortars and a conni, we were short about 6 lineships to start with.  We tried to do one big group again and our favorite battle callers and killers weren't online so we tried to make do.  Things got worse at the start.  The mortars went downwind straight from the dock and then turned around.  We sailed down wind as soon as the pirate bunch got close enough giving up our wind.  We will learn to sail beam to beam in first rates without giving up precious wind some day.  I though we should have stayed by the fort to right of our dock since there were no pirate mortars.   We sailed down wind and out of the circle and then had to turn around and sail upwind back to the circle.  The pirates cut into the center of our line and captured a few ships.  We got split up and confused sailing in odd directions.  At the end we sort of grouped up 3 to 5 survivors and did a little better focus firing.  It was very frustrating that we couldn't finish off any pirates we got in trouble.

Next time we will do better.  That was a step backward.  No offense to all our guys that tried their best to follow orders and adjust...we just really had a disadvantage and a bad start.

On another note, I think it would be cool if we had to build the forts for our defense and we could choose round or square (require lots of stone and iron).  Then the defender could have additional slots when we joined the port battle which would be the forts we built.  Those fort slots would be manned and could operate the cannons like we used to have long ago...wasn't that fun?  If the forts get destroyed and we lose, the attackers would have to rebuild them if the want.  Just an idea...what you all think about that?

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, SS Minnow said:

On another note, I think it would be cool if we had to build the forts for our defense and we could choose round or square (require lots of stone and iron).  Then the defender could have additional slots when we joined the port battle which would be the forts we built.  Those fort slots would be manned and could operate the cannons like we used to have long ago...wasn't that fun?  If the forts get destroyed and we lose, the attackers would have to rebuild them if the want.  Just an idea...what you all think about that?

It's been suggested a number of times in the patch thread and suggestion forum area on subjects of "how to make more port ownership options and perks." I know that most, if not all of us would like more customization and abilities to make our ports be more of our "home."

I believe one though was to be able to upgrade forts and towers, it would increase the maintenance cost, but you would have better defense and all that jazz.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SS Minnow said:

Islamorada debrief:

We were short players and were handing out what 1st rates we had to some low and mid level experienced players that wanted to help and learn.  Once again we decided to try mortar brigs to shoot 1st rates which failed every prior attempt.  With 23 ships, 3 mortars and a conni, we were short about 6 lineships to start with.  We tried to do one big group again and our favorite battle callers and killers weren't online so we tried to make do.  Things got worse at the start.  The mortars went downwind straight from the dock and then turned around.  We sailed down wind as soon as the pirate bunch got close enough giving up our wind.  We will learn to sail beam to beam in first rates without giving up precious wind some day.  I though we should have stayed by the fort to right of our dock since there were no pirate mortars.   We sailed down wind and out of the circle and then had to turn around and sail upwind back to the circle.  The pirates cut into the center of our line and captured a few ships.  We got split up and confused sailing in odd directions.  At the end we sort of grouped up 3 to 5 survivors and did a little better focus firing.  It was very frustrating that we couldn't finish off any pirates we got in trouble.

Next time we will do better.  That was a step backward.  No offense to all our guys that tried their best to follow orders and adjust...we just really had a disadvantage and a bad start.

Again I want to thank  you guys for trying.  The only way to get better is to keep getting back out there and fighting against others.  The more folks every one is fighting the more experience every one gets and the better they do get.  The other thing ya'll might want to try more than one caller and work on groups/sections.  We honestly don't have ONE caller.  We have some one that makes the big choices, but once the fighting starts we kinda group up and call out what needs to be done in our zone we are fighting with.  It gets way to confusing having one guy call only.

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

It's been suggested a number of times in the patch thread and suggestion forum area on subjects of "how to make more port ownership options and perks." I know that most, if not all of us would like more customization and abilities to make our ports be more of our "home."

I believe one though was to be able to upgrade forts and towers, it would increase the maintenance cost, but you would have better defense and all that jazz.

If they do this than all ports should start with no defenses and than you have to add upkeep to add towers and than forts to that port with the max of say 4 Towers and 2 Forts.   If they get destroyed you have to rebuild them after the port battle.   

And just to be clear we have no plan to one port any clan/nation or roll up the East Coast.  Now to be ever more clear if you attack major econ ports or can't keep your bloody hands out of the lower Bahamas (Nassau not included) than we will start to take ports in the Upper Bahamas and roll up the East coast.   If you want to grind easy ports just for the xp than stop flipping all your ports.  Leave some neutral like we have.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

With your permission I'll use the map you sent me. It was handy in making the plans instead of letting @Willis PVP2 do some scribbles on a map for us.  LOL ya'll really should see when he draws up the battle plans.  It's more out of good fun than actual battle plans cause nothing ever goes the same as you plan once the shots are fired.

I resent that!!! :P

Also you better know that whatever map you use, you are still going to get one that is all scribbled on from me just for laughs. And I'll have you know my battle strategy works just fine: those AI Vics and Santis don't stand a chance with my special battle plans!

In all seriousness...the plan is, was, and always will be...SINK EVERYONE! You have to go into the PB with your main focus being sinking enemies, and a secondary (but still important) focus on getting 1000 points. If you focus only on circles, you might realize too late that your force is spread too thinly and you have ships sinking left and right. I'll echo what @Sir Texas Sir said: you can't go into a port battle planning on escaping it if things go wrong. Get in there and FIGHT. If you sink, so be it; but you better sink fighting with the group not by yourself and surrounded by 7 enemies (if you do that, you are just hurting your team by giving the enemy points).

Some of the long-time US players probably remember the US vs Pirate war for the gulf and east coast last summer/early fall before the mega alliance between US and GB: those were some fun PBs and we (the US) had a couple decent battle commanders then. I don't think many of them are playing (or at least not in that nation anymore) often still, but those that are still around and remember the tactics of fighting with them should be able to offer some decent advice.

The best advice I can give the battle commander is this: when you elect a battle commander, you can't have 12 other guys talking and barking out orders that contradict his. Whenever I am the battle commander, I designate 2-4 others who I know can be professional and quickly analyze situations and give the right orders. I can't look at the map and fight my ship and worry about 3 guys who are screaming about losing HP all at the same time. If I try to do that, the PB won't have the leadership it deserves, I won't be sailing my ship to maximum efficiency, and I won't be able to give enough orders fast enough to the people who are being focused by the enemy. So, because I have to primarily focus on the overall situation of the PB and what my ship is doing in relation to the ships around me, I have to be able to rely on those other 2-4 officers in the battle to keep order around them.

Know your ships: I saw some ships that were extremely tough and hard to damage (thats good) and I saw a few that melted under enemy fire (thats bad). My build is a secret blend of Iron Frames and BLACK Ironwood Planking :ph34r:. LOL 

Seriously though, make sure the first rate skippers know how to fight a first rate: just because you are Rear Admiral doesn't mean you are qualified to sail a first rate. As an example, my alt is almost Commodore (800 crew) and I haven't had him in more than a handful of missions since he was a Captain. Almost all of his XP since then has been from sailing around.

Anyways thanks for the fight. o7

p.s.: @Sir Texas Sir you are going to really like the next scribbled map I draw for you. Its going to say "Sink Texas" across the top of it in big letters. :P Nonetheless, the wind prediction will be accurate and the fleet positioning will be as well. 

Kemps Bay:  17 Pirates vs 13 US players

We weren't expecting them to show at first but got as many folks to show up.  They cam in the south and we capped "A" and "B" and meet them in the choke point between "A" and "C".  The battle continued to "A".  I want to thank the US for actually fighting it out.  This is getting to be a good trend.  The more fights the more fun we have.  Until next time.  

DC1B8E8037EC1F3AF2F5627831095344033C1576

• Like 2

Thanks to Sir Texas Sir for posting these reports--The discussion of Islamorada was especially interesting.  I was at Kemps Bay and the plan was pretty much don't sail upwind and stay together, which is actually a better plan than some of the other port battles I have been in.  Looking forward to the next one.

Updated Diplomacy

1. Dutch - are on the rise of taking ports, but as to who they may plan to fight - no one has said a peep about being killed by the Dutch yet, so until that happens I have placed them to be "Neutral." Honestly haven't heard from any Dutch players on their plans.

2. Britain and US - diplomacy both changed back to clan agreements and OW conflict. The "Alliance" they have seems to only be a minority and reports form others show it isn't really a true alliance.

3. Pirates - remain in the most conflict with other nations

4. Spain - I've talked to some players and it seems they are taking a back burner to RvR and when they play, decide to aim for OW PvP

5. Denmark - apart from their normal "conquest" in taking ports next to their capital, I really haven't seen anything from them to suggest large activity, although I do know a number play. The limited conflict with the ARMED clan still goes, but either I'm blind or danes haven't been trying to take the ports.

6. Swedes - Surprisingly active, color me surprised. On a Diplomatic note though they haven't made any moves to cause conflict with others. They just seem to be slowly growing.

7. France - Having previously been in France I keep in touch with a few who still play. a couple are fighting pirates, a couple are in New Orleans, and a couple are around FR. Apart from OW PvP there isn't much going on.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

Cartagena de Indias SOL port battle:  25 Pirates vs 25 GB

Pirates lost 4 ships

Brits lost 19 Ships (Plus more where was killed out side after).

While I would say this was the battle of the circles but more just a big giant brawl in ships way to big to be Brawling in that tight of a space.   It was a great fight guys and one thing I got to say I'm bring my freaking Vict down there for the next one.  Something that can actually turn in that tight area.

6EA541AF8A6FC9D6AA7E5EA70F751E4F1FACB507

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JT Scott said:

Thanks to Sir Texas Sir for posting these reports--The discussion of Islamorada was especially interesting.  I was at Kemps Bay and the plan was pretty much don't sail upwind and stay together, which is actually a better plan than some of the other port battles I have been in.  Looking forward to the next one.

I have @Willis PVP2 do our battle plans every time he's on for the fight and this is what they look like.  Remember now matter how much you plan, it all goes out the window as soon as that timer goes off.  This was our plan for tonight's port battle.

https://imgur.com/9JA0ZZt

Most the time we just want the wind and basic lay out of the ports.   Than we just go with it on the fly as the fight unrolls.  

Edited by Sir Texas Sir
  • Like 1

Was a very fun fight...but also rather weird when i took the bowsprit off of francau's ocean, we touched and "boom" our ships jolted a bit and suddenly we both had 0 hps on 1 side of our ships. Pretty much changed how i had to sail and fight for the rest of the time in the battle.

Respect to the players that come out to fight and a special respect to ARMED for always fighting. This was a true brawl and I honestly believe if 1 or 2 things were different for 1 minute in the battle, the outcome would have completely changed.

I don't know about others, but I could literally see the tug-of-war back and forth for points and there were definitely 2 to 3 points in the battle that were nail biters for each side. A true battle of attrition.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

Great fight! 

I saw that little 'wiggle' you and francau did as well... 

super weird... the ships appeared to be entangled...then the ships seemed to jump up and wiggle a bit with each losing tremendous armor and going into reload shock. 

Think the same happened to Pit and another player as well. 

Pitt and myself bumped uglies by the shore and then bounced off each other and did 180s.  Sounds like top level coding if you ask me.

Good fight to our nutty aussie friends in ARMED both before, during and after the PB.  Props to CKA for coming out.  

• Like 2

Jeremie pb, good fight all around.

21 pirates v 16 brits. British victory

BLACK left once AIB got some more ships in so that the battle was more balanced. o7 to all you fine gentlemen.

Brits joined to the East where most of the rats started but were in a much tighter formation allowing us to pick off one or two early on really giving us the advantage. Battle was fun and it was great to see such a turnout on both sides. Look forward to seeing you all in the future!

Jeremie.jpg

Edited by Galt
  • Like 2

Bimini Shallow battle.

24 Pirates vs 25 US.  Pirate Win

Good fight overall.  We triggered the fight to get all of our newer guys some experience, VSCO had a good 5 or so that had never done a live PB before.  Decent wind to join,  the US let us cap the 2 circles as we drew the brawl away from the middle circle as we capped and secured it.  McMannis and Myself led the fight.  

25D9D9E77D956B3EB03BA0CF03CF367FBD8A1110

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj397yZvm0Y

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 3

I enjoy reading the brief port battle synopsis but notice that often posters don't mention who won. Sometimes it's probably obvious by the damage tally screen but not always.

For example, who won Jeremie and Bimini?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I enjoy reading the brief port battle synopsis but notice that often posters don't mention who won. Sometimes it's probably obvious by the damage tally screen but not always.

that's why you watch the videos :-).  Pirates lost Jeremie, won bimini.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Farrago said:

Excellent point, I will be more diligent in the future. Thank you for pointing this out and I will be sure to include that from now on. Hadn't even crossed my mind because I have been playing so long that I just know who is who from the clans and the names. 

22 hours ago, Farrago said:

Yah I think I'm going to start doing my post like this.   

Kidd's Harbor SOL port:  25 Pirates (always put defender first) vs 25 Some unlucky chaps.   Port was Defended/Capture by Winner

On 10/9/2017 at 9:43 PM, Galt said:

Jeremie pb, good fight all around.

21 pirates v 16 brits. British victory

BLACK left once AIB got some more ships in so that the battle was more balanced. o7 to all you fine gentlemen.

I just wanted to add to this since some one is going around saying we ditched AIB.  We did not.  HYDRA even left too as we where keeping the numbers equal on both sides.  This was in an area we have set aside to fight over and not have any one butt hurt over loosing a port.   It was also in ARMEDS off time (lunch for the AUS players mid week).  We are trying to prevent off hour flips on all sides since they make up most of the servers AUS/SEA players that aren't Dane and even they been kinda hurting on players lately either.   Not to mention we want some of the new smaller clans to get there feet wet and have some fun.  We can't fight every fight for the nation and don't want to.   It was a good learning experience for them.  That was I believe honestly there very first live Player vs Player port battle that they did on there own. If it had been any other GB clan we would of course all joined in and helped but cause of the off hour flip we wanted to keep the battle fair on both sides.  Hope they try more against other clans in proper time zones as they prob the only other clan than VCO and BLACK that can almost field a full port battle team in Pirates.  

I would also like to say had fun in Bimi even though I didn't bring my normal PB H rattler it was fun trying out something new in that fight too.  It was all VCO's show and they had a lot of new players to Port battles.  We should plan more battles like that between nations to help some of the less experience players get involved and new guys.  That will help the player population way more than anything.   We have offered up Nassau to be that battle grounds so if the US want to remain safe in the North Bahamas and leave our ports alone in the south we will do the same.  Just no stupid crazy off time flips or we will start doing the same too.

I would also like to get the other nations up there too.  Danes/Spanish maybe can do it.  Don't think there is enough French but if they could flip one AI port (each nation has one port that remains safe from flip).  Than we can just do OW PvP and fight over some none important ports we can encourage growth in our lower level player base.

• Like 1

PS who ever shot me and OUTCAST when I was boarding him and lit me on fire (him too)....that fire was a yellow mag hit.  Yes if I didn't have crew I and the free repair I prob would of blew up there if I culdn't get the fire in control.  So please watch them friendly fires guys....lol

Cayo Biscayno SOL Port Battle:  25 US vs 25 Pirates with Pirates wining the Attack.

Only half the US fleet joined the fight at the start and than they waited until we where between A and C circle.  We got a heads up that they where coming in from our spotters out side.  So I called battle sails.  The second part of the fleet popped in right next to our fleet. Order was than to begin PIRATE BRAWL.   The fighting was mainly between A and B until end of battle.  

3 Pirates lost

10 US lost (one was after battle timer was over).  2 ships where captured (I scuttled the second one I captured) out of the 10.  I do believe one more was lost out side after the battle.

0F5757B0948EF26D04AC08E3F766FE25853D12ED

Nassau Port battle was a no show for the US side.  We have about 10 guys in that one. I didn't get a screen shot so can't post. I'll add it if some one has a copy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wraith said:

No screenshot there, but it was a handful of BLACK, VSCO, and other clan alts holding down the fort. Here's my stream from the Cayo Biscayno port battle, comms stripped. It was a nice bit of brawling with the U.S. delayed join only serving to split their fleet and predetermine the outcome. But we appreciated the fight, well done to all!

The split was actually not a bad thing, but they mis judged the wind when they joined and popped right next to use so many of them where sitting ducks right next to fully loaded ships.  I prob would of had three caps if I had slowed down in time and the first one would of been one of those guys stuck cause of the wind.  Starting to think I need to bring a board fit l'ocean next time lol

I've been discovering more and more in these port battles that the old method of tactics, splitting the fleets and attempting to out maneuver the other side just don't matter with the new repair meta.  Even fireships aren't as devastating as they used to be.  It seems that all you need to do is stay together, focus a couple ships down and momentum will sink their ships faster then they sink yours. 

The US spawned right off to our left with not enough players to quickly make an impact on any of our ships and then immediately send 2 fireships at us that had minimal effect, thus weakening their numbers and splitting up the fleet.  They also seemed to want to chase a couple of our guys with 3/4 to 1 mismatches that allowed us to focus even more of their ships down.  If the Mortar Brig didn't rack up 600 points, this could easily of been an entire fleet sunk.....worse than Cartagena.  

I was thinking about ways to counter the pirate "fur ball" style with the new repair meta and there really isn't one.  Playing the old game of chain, kite and focus off lone ships doesn't work if you have unlimited repairs every 10mins.  The other side just needs to perfect the "fur ball" and be better at it.

I'm not sure I like the new style of port battles or not.  I enjoyed the thought and planning it that went into the fights beforehand, but smashing into the other fleet and sinking all of them is rather satisfying. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:24 PM, Capt. Lucky Luke said:

The RATA Spanish clan declares WAR vs the Dutch for sneaking up on the sourthern side of Cuba. Please change the political situation. 

holandés ir a casa!

-Capt. L.L

holandés ir a casa!

• Like 1