Game-Labs Forum
Banished Privateer

Santa Cecilia vs Surprise vs Pirate Frigate

Lots of people keep hearing about that misterious, unbeaten in combat ship... But the ship has mostly such a legendary because of the great captains that sailed it. It was very decent before wipe, but now...? I will lift the veil of secrecy about this ship. (In before... give SC for everyone hurr durr make it available to all :P)

Santa Cecilia - (BR 170), 315 crew, mass 1850 t, 3472 HP, cannon broadside - 228pd, carronade - 504pd

Surprise - (BR 140), 240 crew, mass 1200 t, 3400 HP, cannon broadside - 150pd, carronade - 510pd

Pirate Frigate (BR 180), 300 crew, mass 1800 t, 4100 HP, cannon broadside - 306pd, carronade 560pd

Santa Cecilia got more crew than the other two ships, probably the biggest advantage of it, but Pirate Frigate is beating it to the firepower of cananons or carronade setup, speed, sails HP, armour HP, sailing profile, boarding bonus, BR and mass. Surprise can boast of 4 stern chasers and better sailing profile than Santa Cecilia.

There is a lot of questions coming to my mind...

1. Why Santa Cecilia is more heavy than Pirate Frigate? It's 650 t more heavy than Surprise and has almost same HP and it's even 50 t more heavy than Pirate Frigate in game. 
  2. Pirate Frigate base speed is 12.28 knots, Surprise base speed is 12.39 knots, Santa Cecilia is 12.20 knots. Even Constitution has a base speed of 12.23 knots! 
  3. Sailing profile of Santa Cecilia was great before the wipe... now? Sailing profile is worse almost in all headings compared to pirate frigate and surprise (especially huge drop at 30 degrees)
  4. Despite greater mass compared to Pirate Frigate, Santa Cecilia has less armour HP and thickness.

Dps3Wr.jpg

Another note...

Surprise Sails HP - 3400 / Sailing Crew - 65

Santa Cecilia Sails HP - 3460 / Sailing Crew - 130

Pirate Frigate Sails HP - 4100 / Sailing Crew - 110

So actually Santa Cecilia loses its huge crew advantage to sailing crew needed... while it has same sails HP compared to surprise!

What stands to defend good title of Santa Cecilia? Beautiful paint job, great looking ship with nice bow (booobs), rarity of it, broken bowsprit does not put the ship into rigging shock, crew and better mast thickness than surprise (still worse than Pirate Frigate). Is it enough to make it worth sailing?

59465358cc33c_SantaCecilia.jpg.a53bf151e

Santa_Cecilia_Front.png

Santa_Cecilia_Stern.png

• Like 1

I will edit this topic tomorrow giving some more data and information (like HP, turn rate etc.). Could also someone provide information about L'Hermione so it can be compared too?

Edited by Peter Goldman

Keep the Connie out of this it is beyond broken for sailing in this game.. historically with Copper Plating and Live Oak/White Oak build and loaded for Patrol she is recorded as having atop speed of 13 knots...  I dare you to be able to do that in this game even with ALL speed mods  and skills you can add..

15 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Keep the Connie out of this it is beyond broken for sailing in this game.. historically with Copper Plating and Live Oak/White Oak build and loaded for Patrol she is recorded as having atop speed of 13 knots...  I dare you to be able to do that in this game even with ALL speed mods  and skills you can add..

fir/fir with all speed upgrades and you can get 14knt connies

EDIT: der (i'm dumb) I see what you mean. But when it comes to balance you really can't have a connie like that as it would be truly broken in the game.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

fir/fir with all speed upgrades and you can get 14knt connies

EDIT: der (i'm dumb) I see what you mean. But when it comes to balance you really can't have a connie like that as it would be truly broken in the game.

yes heaven forbid the ships designs used the Base stats for the version of the ship that existed and still exists in some cases in real life

• Like 1

I think she's excellent for one simple reason. The Santa Cecilia is just A W E S O M E. When I see that ship, I think of the captains like Liquidity that have done such extraordinary things at her helm. Her divine spread of sail, her beautiful 1750s upper works with that quarter rail instead of boring planked sides the stern gallery and paint scheme are all lovely. This associated with the prestige the ship from many a glorious battle fought by captains of the Santa Cecilia gives her an air of majesty and pride. 

I really do think the way a ship looks and its reputation is just as important as its performance. 

• Like 1

Stats aside, In my opinion even compared to the rest of GL work (even my beloved Belle Poule) , devs gave all their heart into looks of Santa Cecylia. This ship is simply magnificent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

some things are not perfectly balanced - we will review the ship balancing for next big patch. 

Will the Endymion be looked at as well? (Basically are you taking a look at all ships or just a few?)

2 hours ago, Borch said:

Stats aside, In my opinion even compared to the rest of GL work (even my beloved Belle Poule) , devs gave all their heart into looks of Santa Cecylia. This ship is simply magnificent.

I agree. Makes it even more sad it is so limited... I would like it to be added to the game at the cost of 1000-3000 marks, so it will still be the rarest ship like the devs wanted it to be but not barely ever seen at all...

• Like 5

Yea @admin what about a cecilia note for 1500 combat marks,  note lets you decide wood just like for the wasa / hermione.?

• Like 3

Cant really compare the Pirate Frigate in this mix, as it is a mythical ship.   I would have used the Essex or the Cherub Frigate as they actually existed.

Looking at the wiki the Santa Cecilia is a Spanish captured ship from the British HMS Hermione? Isn't that the French L'Hermione we have in game? What sets the Santa Cecilia and the L'Hermione apart?

17 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

13 knots for a Connie? I did it yesterday in a battle.

It's probably been mentioned before, but why can't every ship's max speed be based on the theoretical hull speed (sqrt of LWL) x 1.34. Each ship is then assigned starting speed and add on mods can get you to the top speed but never over it

Edited by Nelson Hornblower

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

Cant really compare the Pirate Frigate in this mix, as it is a mythical ship.   I would have used the Essex or the Cherub Frigate as they actually existed.

Ah yes, I can use it as it's an actual ship in the game. Pay attention that I am comparing in-game statistics and not real-life statistics. That's a huge difference.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Looking at the wiki the Santa Cecilia is a Spanish captured ship from the British HMS Hermione? Isn't that the French L'Hermione we have in game? What sets the Santa Cecilia and the L'Hermione apart?

16fbb7c68021f2f296c8abb9c605b461.png

7 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Any noticed differences? Would be cool if you could compare old and new profiles.

I will do that for you, baby. Just remember how slowly I do things... Despacito. :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, admin said:

some things are not perfectly balanced - we will review the ship balancing for next big patch. 

Yup, Surp is in need of some serious balancing.