Change Ship Skill System

Remove the ship XP system as it is atm.

We have 2 different types of ship bonuses:

1.) Bonuses based on ship physics

- better planking
- additional sails
- copper plating
- more crew space

These bonuses should remain as they are, provided by skill books & mats. Very good.

2.) Bonuses based on crew skill

- faster sailing
- better turning
- faster repairing
- faster reloading
- faster switching battle stations

These bonuses should be calculated as malus depending on hours in battle when sailing a specific ship type.

Example:

Player A has spend 60 hours in battle with a Endy. He gets malus of 5% on all crew skills.
Player B has spend 5 hours in battle with a Surprise. He gets malus of 15% on all crew skills.
In the end the experienced Endy captain might turn nearly as quick the newbie Surprise captain.

Maybe a player who spend 100 hours on a specific ship type reaches all the ship attributes without malus.

The numbers have to be adjusted, but my idea is to reward players for specializing on a specific ship type. This would be a nice addition, because it varies battles outcomes. And it is pretty realistic too, because you now learn how to get the best out of your ship by the time.

I think the present system is fine as is, respectfully :) 

Instead of slowly getting benefits in all areas over time, we can choose individual things for our crews to specialize on. For example I've applied lightweight ropes and blocks, The old flag officer and opt. rudder to make my teak-teak Surprise a maneuverable and powerful ship that responds quickly to my commands. I plan to put ropes and blocks and as many gunnery mods as I can on my lovely Wasa. I've specialized my fast privateer with speed and boarding mods and books. Ect, ect, ect. 

I think its better we have control over what attributes we "train" our crews on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

In a time where most of us would like less of a grind, this doesn't seem like the right choice.

I currently believe the current system is fine as is, certainly would like some balance changes to some modules but otherwise I don't think this should be looked at just yet.

Yup...I don't think any single Skill or Module should give more then a 2% bonus or minus to any single thing.. sure maybe a bonus to several things like Art of Ship Handling does.. but none of them should be more then 2 % and no negative should be more then 2%.. The difference we get from the wood types is a big enough one...  I still do not understand why if you take Crew Space you can't pick a Wood Trim... Are the Ship builders incapable of adding a few more spots for crew to sleep using any wood other then Oak?