Game-Labs Forum

springby    85

that we could be without all these timers and counters. not possible to join battles after a certain time, being invisible and timers when undocking, leaving battle. i think they are dang annoying. not realistic at all, for me its killing gameplay tbh.

also, people is bending the mechanics, abusing them for offensive gain.

Aegir    1,665

Yep, if only fully instanced battles and sailing wouldn't have been such a multi-hour affair so that everything could happen there.

Edited by Aegir

springby    85
20 minutes ago, BadBenny said:

The Carebears would lose their friggin minds if they had to fight and not run away.

not to mention the players using the post-battle invis/speed buff when they are roaming hostile waters, attacking low rate npc ship, hiding in battle, then popping out on demand, invisible and with speed buff...... please... its terrible guys, who came up with this? didnt you think players would use it to attack? i assume its a mechanic that was put in place to decrease the ganking, but it has the exact opposite effect

Rickard    308
1 hour ago, springby said:

that we could be without all these timers and counters. not possible to join battles after a certain time, being invisible and timers when undocking, leaving battle. i think they are dang annoying. not realistic at all, for me its killing gameplay tbh.

also, people is bending the mechanics, abusing them for offensive gain.

that would indeed be a great Age of sail game if it existed.

Liq    3,215
1 hour ago, springby said:

not to mention the players using the post-battle invis/speed buff when they are roaming hostile waters, attacking low rate npc ship, hiding in battle, then popping out on demand, invisible and with speed buff...... please... its terrible guys, who came up with this? didnt you think players would use it to attack? i assume its a mechanic that was put in place to decrease the ganking, but it has the exact opposite effect

It was introduced because of the fact that the game uses two dimensions, 1) Open World and 2) Battle Instances. The first one is about 75x compressed compared to Battle instances (size and sailing speed). So that means, in few minutes open world travel time, you can reach quite a distance. But since we can't make the whole game one dimension, join timers had to be reduced to something reasonable, if we wanted it to be so only players in range of a battle can join (as it should be realistically).
Now if you leave battle and get kicked out straight to open world, the probability of being met by a welcome fleet is pretty high, even though they couldnt join the initial battle because they were not in range, they could still camp on the exact battle location (due to 75x compressed OW) and just wait for the players to leave. That's what it used to be anyway; Now all the capital waters are covered by Uber-AI-Reinforcements, so you shouldnt need to worry anymore tbh. (example: I attacked an essex while being in my surprise; Essex had the ability to call in reinforcements, being a Santisima and L'ocean)
I understand and agree that invis. got abused a lot in an offensive way, I think a way longer "you cannot attack" timer after invisibility, something like 5 - 8 minutes, would have done the job.

Peter Goldman    1,199

It's too late to fix this whole sea of issues for Naval Action, because all these problems come from symbiosis of Open World and Battle Instances.

All problems like:

1. Timers

2. Revenge Fleets

3. Hiding in battle

4. Tagging each 2 minutes / Kiting / Escaping Battles

5. Reinforcements

6. Joining circles in land or shallows

7. Defense tagging

8. Pulling / Draging other players into battles (a bit away to get dragged into battle or unwanted draging by other players attacking AI etc.)

Solution would be to turn whole OW into Battle Instance. Nonetheless, that would create other issues or new mechanics needed:

1. Shallows and land would have to be marked

2. New spotting ship mechanic? (with spyglass)

3. Colision near crowdy ports, raming, capsizing or trolls doing FF.

4. Screening and Port Battles? PB could be seperate instance

5. Game optimization and performance (battle instance is more GPU heavy and has more details)

6. Traveling across the map (probably one of the major issues)

BadBenny    28

Really back to basics I think, if you get tagged you have to fight it out. Start the fight in cannon range no matter tag position. Easy peasy, Just make ships easier to make, then girls might stay and fight and cry every time they lose a ship. U Devs continue of over complicate stuff. 

Skully    1,009
12 hours ago, springby said:

i assume its a mechanic that was put in place to decrease the ganking, but it has the exact opposite effect

Please follow the link and vote accordingly. 

On Wednesday, September 06, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Skully said:

But if you guys want to give it to me, please do so. Just don't yammer when out of nowhere a fast ship decloaks and you find yourself the victim of a ganking fleet.