Game-Labs Forum

Should officers be able to promote diplomats?

Should officers be able to promote diplomats?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should officers be able to promote diplomats?

• Yes
    • No

Simple question - right now only the Clan Leader ("Creator") is able to promote players into the rank of diplomat.

This causes trouble for clans whos leader has not been online for quite some time because they can be locked out of rvr.

So should officers be able to promote other players/officers into diplomat rank or not?

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Edited by Batman

Similar situations arose with World Of Warcraft , the offline creator / leader has a set amount of time before the members can instigate a coup and remove the leadership

Need an uncomplicated removal system in place. Offline for a set period ( longer than a holiday ) and automatically hand leadership over to second in command ?

needs looking at for sure

• Like 1

Diplo is actually a higher rank than officer by what I can tell cause they can do more, that is why it's a creator only power to grant.   Though having a way to kick a creator can be bad or good.  I seen on other games folks kick some one they didn't like and it was his clan.  Sorry if you don't like that person or he's gone MIA, it's time to leave and make your own clan.  Though I do think there should be a position between Diplomat and Creator for some co-leaders of a clan.  You can only set 3 Diplo's right now. Maybe have 3 Co-leaders that the creator can set that have the same powers that he has too.  The only thing they can't do is delete the clan.

Though to be honest I would prefer to just see  a clan log before anything else.

• Like 1

we want to avoid the drama caused by wrong hiring choices and thus only creators can promote diplomats, but we have added the function where creator can pass their role to others so they only need to login once and assign another founder/creator to an active user

• Like 6

But then you have the problem of contacting a creator who has not been seen for I-don't-know-how-long.

I simply don't think the solution for such a predicament (worst case only leader stops playing) should be that a whole clan has to reform. There have to be some sort of backup mechanics be implemented.

Like if a clan has X numbers of officers they can start a vote amongst the officers if creator has not been online for Y days to elect a new creator. If Z number of officers agree to elect a new leader - well done. This could be done by %. If clan has 10 officers you need X amount to agree, if you have 5 or 20 officers same rules apply with different % needed.

Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Batman said:

But then you have the problem of contacting a creator who has not been seen for I-don't-know-how-long.

the edge case problems caused by giving control of the clan/guild are far greater. If you founded the clan ONLY YOU can give out control to others. This is not 100% convenient, but it does close all potential issues with stealing your clan from you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

Clan leadership should move to the next officer if he was offline for 30 days.

but what if you were sick in a hospital or were traveling with kids? Why should you lose your clan if you have life elsewhere too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Clan leadership should move to the next officer if he was offline for 30 days.

Why?  It is not thier clan, it's the creators clan. If he does not pass on his powers or be active it's time for the clan to move on and make a new clan.  Our clan leader isn't very active any more and we keep the clan going, though had to have him pop on and set Diplomats last night so we can get friendly clans added to our clans list for the port battle.  If he wouldn't do that we have talked in the past about making a new clan.  We all ready have a sub clan that is run by active players and a few of us have alt clans.  So some times you just got to let that clan go and make a new one.   Seen it a billion times on other games.   I have also seen great clans go dead and than return when core members got back into the game.  The folks that lefty just came back to the old clan and reformed.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

but what if you were sick in a hospital or were traveling with kids? Why should you lose your clan if you have life elsewhere too. 

Are just bored of the game and moved on.  WoT I'm one of the clan creators.  I haven't played that game in prob over a year.  I passed on my status and become a lesser officer, but it's still my team speak they use.  I don't pay for it any more, and to me it's their team speak not mine.   Though they have all ways said if I want to come back I'll get my founder spot back.  Just no need for me to hold that position any more.  Though the point is that clan was created cause are original clan leader went AFK/MIA so we shut up shop and made a new clan with the core original players from the first one.  They could of done the same thing when I retired from playing the game (this game replaced it), but I stepped down and let some one else take control.   So it can work both ways.

Dynamic clan tools and logs should be a high development priority ESPECIALLY since much of this game is now clan focused.

But as it is now, officers in the clan could decide their leader is no longer active (or effective). One officer leaves said clan, creates a new one and the other officers remove the warehouse contents eventually transferring the stuff to the new clan. Owned ports would eventually revert to neutral and need to be recaptured. Clunky and potentially expensive but most divorces are.

• Like 1

And that last statement nullifies any concerns raised by not being able to transfer leadership by officers.

When a majority of the active officers decide the clan leader is incapable, then the clan gets stripped anyway.