Game-Labs Forum
Peter Goldman

Port Battle Limit

Skully    1,015
33 minutes ago, admin said:

well bugs happen. 20 simultaneously starting port battles was not expected and caused bugs in messaging system (placing markers for entry). Today we found that they were actually active and could have been accessed if players relogged. 

Do we have to take into account a technical limit on the amount of Port Battles that can take place simultaneously?

admin    28,003

We have found the potential solution to port battle limits that cut off players who play late in the day.

Current limit is 3 attacking battles = which translates to 21 defensive potential battles for 1 nation. 

We can turn it over the head:

• Limit will change to 3 attacking battles against one nation. 
  • This will still keep the limit of 21 defensive battles for 1 nation
  • But will remove the limit for attacking battles against other nations allowing more options for everyone. 
  • This will also have a positive side effect of promoting more conquest conflict as if your nation already attacked spain 3 times today the only way to have more port battles is to attack others.

Aegir    1,668

Nations have already resorted to trading ports for free and easy weekly conquest victories.

Naturally they'd also resort to trading ports to deny legitimate attacks by other nations (e.g. staging 2-3 attacks against eachother on weekends to only allow 0-1 attacks by anyone else).

Edited by Aegir

Jœrnson    372
11 minutes ago, admin said:

We have found the potential solution to port battle limits that cut off players who play late in the day.

Current limit is 3 attacking battles = which translates to 21 defensive potential battles for 1 nation. 

• But will remove the limit for attacking battles against other nations allowing more options for everyone. 
  • This will also have a positive side effect of promoting more conquest conflict as if your nation already attacked spain 3 times today the only way to have more port battles is to attack others.

Just do it :)

75d5fd7ae329aaf5ef52f36f48fcde79.jpg

Edited by Jœrnson

Skully    1,015
8 minutes ago, admin said:

I think admin means it is a matrix. So each Nation can PB another Nation 3 times.

How does this address the 100% hostility that Jeheil described? Will it be lost, will it lower 10% at downtime?

The first ensures Aussies see no battle, the second makes Aussies the dictators. (I do see potential in that second option. :P)

Rebrall    84
Just now, Skully said:

I think admin means it is a matrix. So each Nation can PB another Nation 3 times.

How does this address the 100% hostility that Jeheil described? Will it be lost, will it lower 10% at downtime?

The first ensures Aussies see no battle, the second makes Aussies the dictators. (I do see potential in that second option. :P)

it fixes our current problem of not being able to flip ports we want,

the hostility drop from 100% to 0 isn't that much of an issue just frustrating to do that work to lose it know we know it happens we adjust our game plan is all :D  

well not really making us the dictators just we will have to fight those that play in our TZ so it can work, you have to remember also you are not gonna create PB's when you already have one up coming you will be getting yourself sorted out and ready for it :P 

Rebrall    84
Just now, Stepp636 said:

Does neutral also counts as a nation with max 3 pb? 

i envision not we will find out shortly :P 

senco    2

It's a shame so little thought seemed to have gone into the early phases after the map reset.

The problem isn't just not being able to do the PB's in this phase of the game, but it is also about raising hostility and getting nothing in return. (Because someone beat you to it, filling the third PB slot). Or the slots already being filled up before you even get a chance to get on (Due to time-zones).

The thing is, this is a problem with a low population. can you imagine the problems when this game actually releases. (As I assume the devs are aiming to create a game with more then a hundred people online per server after release).

Quite frankly: Yes there should be a limit on port battles against other nations. But there should be NO limit at all on attacking neutral ports. If anything, you should just remove, or very much inrease the limit for the first (couple of) week(s) to populate the map.

Skully    1,015
10 minutes ago, senco said:

It's a shame so little thought seemed to have gone into the early phases after the map reset.

There are a shitload of headaches in this equation. ^_^

We did a couple of tests on testbed, but with a PB fleet of just a couple of ships (or one) you can only test so much in a couple of days.

I think it is good that this is now testing against a larger population, so we can see all the things unaccounted for.

It may mean an early stalemate and reset again, but as long as we are having fun, lets just go at it. :D

senco    2
5 minutes ago, Skully said:

There are a shitload of headaches in this equation. ^_^

We did a couple of tests on testbed, but with a PB fleet of just a couple of ships (or one) you can only test so much in a couple of days.

I think it is good that this is now testing against a larger population, so we can see all the things unaccounted for.

It may mean an early stalemate and reset again, but as long as we are having fun, lets just go at it. :D

Don't get me wrong. I love the new system they implemented, which they seemed to have done in a short time period.

And I agree that this is all for testing, and would personally not mind if they had to reset the map again after they work out the kinks, that is what testing is for.

But I stand by the believe that there needs to be a mechanic to remove the limit of PB's for a set amount of time. (Or perhaps find another mechanic to repopulate the map?)

vazco    245
6 hours ago, admin said:

The risk is that with this system two nations can agree with each other to start fake battles just to block other nations from attacking them.

Another solution would be to spread battles from one nation in time, so that if first battle is eg. at 17, second would be set only after 18, and so on. This will promote fighting in later hours as well.

Battles themselves already give good options for screening PvP. I think it's even better if they're spread in time, so that something is happening for a longer time.

Edited by vazco

rediii    3,055

Oh I wrote a suggestion in the wrong topic :D

Patch the limit out

Instead implement a 20 min time between each portbattle if they are too close to another/scheduled at the same time.

2 pbs for 17:00 would become 1 on 17:00 and 1 on 17:20

This adresses a zerging of a nation to a point where its almost equal to what we have now but without limits

Limits will hit global constantly aswell as small clans on eu constantly so just get rif of it and introduce a space between each scheduled portbattle. This still forces defenders to defend in OW before the pb happens but conquest of neutral ports will get realy fast right now so we can start having pvp again and not in 2 weeks