Game-Labs Forum
Peter Goldman

Port Maintenance

Captain Lust    482
6 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

In addition... I will say that just 10 players from my clan have roughly 500m gold altogether. The clan is much bigger doe than just 10 players. If we wanted to, we could maintain a huge part of the map. Right now that 500m would be enough to keep 100 ports for 50 days, not considering the possible income from taxation.

So basically you're saying that you have this absurd amount of gold with only 10 players and are able to own so many ports for this long with them but still the maintenance cost of 100k is too high?

8 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Any of you still believe that 100k maintenance prevents big clans from controlling the map?

It probably won't but it will certainly not help them either and that is good in my book... i agree with you in that there is so much gold in game that it doesnt matter so shouldn't it be even more than 100k? I'm just trying to make sense of it here... if you remove the cost those clans with 9786756454483453 gold in their warehouse will only get richer instead of paying a bit and then they will get taxes and get even more rich... and then we get the next wipe because gold will be worthless again.

Peter Goldman    1,271
8 minutes ago, Captain Lust said:

So basically you're saying that you have this absurd amount of gold with only 10 players and are able to own so many ports for this long with them but still the maintenance cost of 100k is too high?

It probably won't but it will certainly not help them either and that is good in my book... i agree with you in that there is so much gold in game that it doesnt matter so shouldn't it be even more than 100k? I'm just trying to make sense of it here... if you remove the cost those clans with 9786756454483453 gold in their warehouse will only get richer instead of paying a bit and then they will get taxes and get even more rich... and then we get the next wipe because gold will be worthless again.

Admin is correct about one thing. Making it easier to earn gold will help newbies, casuals, rookies, etc. Rich players will remain rich. If you try to make rich players less rich, then you punish severely everyone below.

Do you know how much in transactions is needed to pay for maintenance? 1m of gold of transactions in each controlled port daily... 

Gold is useless because economy is broken. I describe the reasons why economy is broken in other topic. It's mostly broken because we don't have a seperate economy server that takes care of the prices (just like in EVE and other popular games). Until it changes, gold will be always useless, it's only a matter for how many players it's useless. 5%, 10% or 50%. You think that big clans will sink their treasure in RvR, I say that big clans won't participate in RvR. Let's see who's right about it.

Edited by Peter Goldman

Captain Lust    482
2 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

You think that big clans will sink their treasure in RvR, I say that big clans won't participate in RvR. Let's see who's right about it.

I never said they would, or at least i didn't mean to... im saying that if they want to own alot of ports, they will have to pay alot for it... so im actually hoping they leave ports neutral for everyone to use, it definitely would be better for the game. I agree with you, i wouldn't pay to own ports either but i don't want to own them to begin with... live and let live :P

EliteDelta    313

I think a lot of this depends on the resource distribution. If all the valuable woods are only available outside these safe zones, then the ports that produce them will be very profitable to own. If a clan can control a few of these, then they can fund a campaign to own a section of the map.

I'm hoping this is how it works out, because otherwise I expect RvR will become very slow. 

Peter Goldman    1,271
2 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

I think a lot of this depends on the resource distribution. If all the valuable woods are only available outside these safe zones, then the ports that produce them will be very profitable to own. If a clan can control a few of these, then they can fund a campaign to own a section of the map.

I'm hoping this is how it works out, because otherwise I expect RvR will become very slow. 

How much players would spend during one day for a teak, white oak or live oak? I bet it's not 1m daily, as that's the money transaction needed for port upkeep with 10% tax and you expect few of these ports to fund a campaign lol

Remember that these woods are produced by NPCs. Maybe it would be really worth something if we were back to forests for all woods. 100 players harvesting woods each day from the port... That could be worth something.

Let's say nowadays port spawns 2000 logs daily. Some player buys it 500g each for contract. That will be 100k from taxes to maintain this port itself.

Edited by Peter Goldman

Peter Goldman    1,271
2 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

so im actually hoping they leave ports neutral for everyone to use, it definitely would be better for the game.

Would be better for the game or for us, bloody and thirsty hunters? It will be better for me and my hunting experience but I bet it won't be better for a game and you will see dozens of people complaining about it, living next to neutral ports and getting killed around them.

Sir Texas Sir    3,661
1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

Would be better for the game or for us, bloody and thirsty hunters? It will be better for me and my hunting experience but I bet it won't be better for a game and you will see dozens of people complaining about it, living next to neutral ports and getting killed around them.

That why I think they should have the map reset like it did before with ports owned as the owners of ports.  Though when you capture one of those ports and can't pay tax's it doesn't go neutral it reverts back to the original owner of that port.  So say your a British player and you take a Spanish port.  You hold it until my clan comes along and us Pirates take it from you.  We get tired of that port and don't want it any more so we stop paying the tax's.  It reverts back to Spanish, but AI owned.  I think having all neutral ports on the map is very bad as it's going to encourage folks to not flip ports and just use them to hunt/trade out of instead.

Teutonic    1,055

first day of patch

1 NPC surprise kill in a mission or OW nets you the following for 10 minutes of battle

76,500 gold
311 xp
8 combat marks

now tell me how the 100k port maintenance is too high.