Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2017 - Initial poll

Barberouge

List  

642 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the vessel you'd like to sail most

• 1. Malicieuse (1758, French 32-gun frigate)
    • 2. Niger-class (1759, British 32-gun frigate)
    • 3. Euridice (1802, Dutch 32-gun frigate)
    • 4. Carolina (1808, Austrian 34-gun frigate)
    • 5. Saint Nicholas (1790, Russian 34-gun frigate)
    • 6. Santa Monica (1777, Spanish 36-gun frigate)
    • 7. Friderichsværn (1784, Danish 36-gun frigate)
    • 8. Venus, Bellona-class (1783, Swedish 40-gun frigate)
    • 9. Princesa Real (1819, Portuguese 50-gun frigate)
    • 10. Leopard, Portland-class (1790, British 50-gun 4th rate)
    • 11. Le Jason (1724, French 52-gun 4th rate)
    • 12. Principe da Beira (1774, Portuguese 54-gun 4th rate)
    • 13. Prinses Frederika Louise Wilhelmina (1779, Dutch 54-gun 4th rate)
    • 14. Leeuwenhorst (1742, Dutch 56-gun 4th rate)
    • 15. Delft (1782, Dutch 56-gun 4th rate)
    • 16. Fama-class (1784, Venetian 66-gun 4th rate)
    • 17. Wenden (1706, Danish 70-gun 3rd rate)
    • 18. San Giovanni (1789, Maltese 70-gun 3rd rate)
    • 19. Göta Lejon (1746, Swedish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 20. Vrijheid-class (1782, Dutch 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 21. Le Monarque, Sceptre-class (1747, French 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 22. Téméraire-class (1782, French 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 23. San Juan Nepomuceno (1766, Spanish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 24. Montañés-class (1794, Spanish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 25. Rainha de Portugal (1791, Portuguese 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 26. Wreker-class (1798, Dutch 80-gun 3rd rate)
    • 27. Foudroyant (1798, British 80-gun 3rd rate)

34 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

7 of the 27 ships in the poll are from navies like the British and the French.

While I still love the french designs, I think we all can agree that we have plenty of them in the game. We have just received the Hermione and another french ship in on its way (Xebec).

And about the temerarie, it will look like a small sister of the Bucentaure, so lets think a little about having ships with more differences between them.

We need more 3rd rate, as they were the backbones of the navies back then. Let's add both téméraire and montanes,  and include also a Dutch 3rd rate :D

We always need more ships!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OlavDeng2 said:

lemme make it worse. The Germans, the guys that had a rowboat for their navy, got a ship before the dutch... And now, yet again, the dutch seem to be getting what? Nothing... because ofcourse we need another french ship, because of course there are none in the game. Oh... wait...

And to add to it, we have had other polls where the Dutch ships came in second I believe and they said they would add two ships, I believe that was the hermione poll. And who the hell voted for the Hamburg. Or this Swedish ship? Don't get me wrong, it's a cool ship. But the swedes were nobodies at this time in this region. Well almost nobodies. The Dutch were a massive trade entity that used to rule the seas in the 1600s. And yet this major nation has no ships? It really is a statement of bias in my opinion. 

• Like 2

I would also like to add: a Portuguese ship I am fine with. Their presence in the game is 0 despite actually being pretty big in the Caribbean. If we had Portuguese ships I'd be fine with it. But if we get another nobody nation ship, or another *cough Russian* ship that who the heck knows why it's in the game. I'm just going to continue to be a salty sea farer 

6 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

We got recently Prince, L'Hermione and Wasa (6th, 5th and 4th rate). How many 3rd rates are in the game? Only 1 real ship.

The purpose of this poll is to fill in 3 gaps in terms of broadside guns including 32-36 guns, preferably with nations not well represented in game :

On 30/08/2017 at 0:45 PM, admin said:

Captains. We need to fill 3 gaps in the ship line up.

Please propose ships for the consideration. 

Requirements in broadside guns

• Light frigates 32-36 guns (we have no ships in this range)
  • Heavy frigates 50-60 guns (we only have trincomalee and constitution in this range)
  • 3rd rates 70-80 guns (we only have 1.5 ships in this range)

All other gun counts will not be considered

Nation preference

• Dutch
  • Portuguese
  • Venetian

Other great models will also be allowed but we would prefer underrepresented nations. 

34 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

To be honest, I expected 3 ships to be chosen, 1 of each. I am pretty disappointed.

Who knows, there might be one of each if the (hidden) rule is e. g. : 'only the 3 most voted ships of each category will be chosen for the final poll'. :)

Edited by LeBoiteux

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I agree with Peter. We already have plenty of frigates in the game while we really lack third rate ships.

When you want to go to choose an OW SoL is always the same, Bellona, Pavel or Buc. We really need to have a good increase of the variety at those ranges. One more ship wouldnt be enough, the devs should do a good bet and decide to add at least 2 more third rates.

We only have one real 3rd ship, the Bellona. The third rate is just the same model of the Bellona without decorations and nothing special, thats why people dont even bother to craft it.

Well yeah that's the point of this poll. Different players have different goals to achieve in the game, different ships to be used for the tasks. The more Solo pvpers, the more are gonna vote for small frigates; the more RvR / big group-battles interested players, the more are gonna vote for Lineships.

(though please can we have the Niger Class anyway :) )

1 hour ago, no one said:

i didn't find any information about "Princesa Real" gun loadouts or any other images.

It is a dev request, so i ask if i can have additional information about this ship?

Thank you

The plans of the 74 gun principe real are available for purchase  in the Portuguese maritime museum as far as I know.  Not sure about the 90 gun version 

Edit: oops misread the name.  Nevermind :D

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 1

Add a Dutch vessel, a Portuguese vessel, and either of the Austrian, Venetian, or Maltese vessels with a staff chosen wildcard (I'd prefer the Montañés, but it's not my vote) and we're done here.  Why are there French and British ships listed?  Does nothing to emphasize the need for representation from other seafaring nations.  Not to mention they're wasted votes when the emphasis was on underrepresented nations.

Edited by Haratik
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Haratik said:

Add a Dutch vessel, a Portuguese vessel, and either of the Austrian, Venetian, or Maltese vessels with a staff chosen wildcard (I'd prefer the Montañés, but it's not my vote) and we're done here.  Why are there French and British ships listed?  Does nothing to emphasize the need for representation from other seafaring nations.

Preferable a Dutch ship from before the Napoleonic occupation, as they all really started to look the same after that. Pretty but a lot like each other.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

The plans of the 74 gun principle real are available for purchase  in the Portuguese maritime museum as far as I know.  Not sure about the 90 gun version 

If those plans exist they might be in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro Naval Museum), seeing as she became part of the Brazilian Imperial Navy after Brazil broke from Portugal.

Granted, by that point she was no longer a 90 gun vessel, but they might have them regardless.

Edited by Haratik

8 hours ago, Barberouge said:

If the breadth is 37 piedi then it should be 13m (1 piede = 0.348m, 1 foot = .3048m).

Thank you for pointing this out, I'm not sure why it was the wrong measurement, still at 12.86m beam she is much closer to the 50 SoLs and heavy frigates, clue being she is a Fregata Grossa, not Navi di Linea, I feel like she might be more at home with the other large frigates and SoLs, she makes much more sense as a 4th rate in this context.

2 hours ago, Haratik said:

Add a Dutch vessel, a Portuguese vessel, and either of the Austrian, Venetian, or Maltese vessels with a staff chosen wildcard (I'd prefer the Montañés, but it's not my vote) and we're done here.  Why are there French and British ships listed?  Does nothing to emphasize the need for representation from other seafaring nations.  Not to mention they're wasted votes when the emphasis was on underrepresented nations.

I'd "most likely sail" smaller vessels because I'm not close to top level yet, but balancing out both national representation and choice within size class should come before "fan polls".  I like the quoted direction - whatever ships of these nationalities are needed to add variety and balance to various ship classes sounds like a good plan to my novice ears.  (Denmark-Norway should probably get a ship but I really want to see Portugal and Venice/Malta/Austria/Russia too)

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Russia have already more ships in the game than Spain, for example.

About Venice, Malta, Portugal... why should we look into those navies when some of the most important nations in NA dont have even 1 ship built by them?

Hmmmm - I forgot about Mercury, lul. 

The latter is always a good point about the deficiencies of available ships for our current nationality options.  Those holes should have been filled already.  Although for the "fun" value having some ships of currently "exotic" nations will be good for game atmosphere in the long run, and as has been said it is in part done to flesh out the lineup for the non-Carribean arena mode game.

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

Mi voto es el 68, he votado por el Montañés ... Personalmente me gustaría que ganase el navío San Juan Nepomuceno, pero supongo que la memoria suele fallar mucho ... Que rápido olvidamos a héroes caídos como Cosme Damián Churruca... Supongo que se olvida rápido que tuvo el valor de no abandonar a la combinada y plantar cara a seis navíos ingleses hasta el final fatídico donde murió desangrado tras perder su pierna ... Aguerrido marinero, gran científico y hombre ilustrado.

Dejo un video que recomiendo, ver el minuto 14:50 ... Un saludo.

My vote is 68, I voted for Montañes ... Personally i would like to win the ship San Juan Nepomuceno, but i guess the memory usually fails a lot, that quickly we forget fallen heroes like Cosme Damián Churruca ... I guess he quickly forgot that he bad the courage not to abandon the combined and to face six British ships until the fateful end where he died bled after losing his leg ... Hars sailor, great scientist and illustrated man.

I leave a video i recomended seeing the minute 14:50 ... Greetings.

Edited by Asmoday

11 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

And to add to it, we have had other polls where the Dutch ships came in second I believe and they said they would add two ships, I believe that was the hermione poll. And who the hell voted for the Hamburg. Or this Swedish ship? Don't get me wrong, it's a cool ship. But the swedes were nobodies at this time in this region. Well almost nobodies. The Dutch were a massive trade entity that used to rule the seas in the 1600s. And yet this major nation has no ships? It really is a statement of bias in my opinion. 

Snake

• Indiaman class got into second place and was added to the game. Indiaman class won the vote - not the dutch indiaman amsterdam. In fact all winners are in the game or waiting for furnishings (slow to make). 
  • We promised 10 ships and they were in game long before early access release - every other ships is a GIFT from developers and community hull builders like @BungeeLemming to all players.

You don't ask a gift horse too many questions, and if you want more gifts your tone is very inappropriate.

• Like 1