Game-Labs Forum

This land is my land - new game in development

admin

Registered to say that I will be folowing this a game with excitement.

I am one of the people who spend 100s if not 1000s of hours in hunting sims and the open American landscapes immediately wants me to play your game.

I hope the world will be less overpopulated than other games. That means, there are people who like real outdoors simulation, where you roam a bit until you find animals or other people. And in between you may just want to light a fire and do nothing during the evening / night but lok at the stars. Those people are currently limited to very few games only (eg The Hunter or Arma III) and they spend a considerable amount of money there.

That is at least what I would hope to see from this game, competing with open worlders a la Ubisoft where you are railroaded into action is imo not a good proposition, especially not in this setting.

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous by the way.

• Like 2

El Prusiano,

It is nice to hear there are others who appreciate roaming, exploring and just looking at the graphics.  I too have spent some time in "The Hunter" and "ARMA3" enjoying the scenery.  I debated buying the "Witcher 3" recently because it looks so beautiful but decided against it because efforts have been only partially successful to Mod it to enable the first person view.

It is appreciated when developers allow some opportunities to experience a virtual world without being pushed into conflict, action and competition.  Nice to have the choice.  One person's view of boring may be exciting to someone else ... and visa versa.  Options and choice creates wider appeal.

Please be sensitive in taking on this topic.  I realize that part of development is lots of research, and I trust that you have done plenty and are continuing to do so.  This is a very sensitive topic in the USA.  We have had legislation over baseball teams using names that sound derogatory to Native Americans.  This game has huge potential and I do love the concept; just a simple request from one American to tread softly at first and be cautious.  I am not a politically correct zombie like many others, but respect is the bottom line required for many themes.  Good luck with this fantastic project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2017 at 7:24 PM, Jean Ribault said:

Please be sensitive in taking on this topic.  I realize that part of development is lots of research, and I trust that you have done plenty and are continuing to do so.  This is a very sensitive topic in the USA.  We have had legislation over baseball teams using names that sound derogatory to Native Americans.  This game has huge potential and I do love the concept; just a simple request from one American to tread softly at first and be cautious.  I am not a politically correct zombie like many others, but respect is the bottom line required for many themes.  Good luck with this fantastic project!

That what I meant, but got warning point for speaking my mind. Oh well. 

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 1

People are too damn sensitive nowadays.  Too mollycoddled and forgot how valuable a thick skin is.

Back on topic:

The American Frontier theoretically started in the very early 17th century and didn't end until the first quarter of the 20th century.  That being said, and while I'm all for a Wild West setting, your images seem to hint at an earlier period in the timeline.  Hence my proposal.  My mind went blank (not to mention distracted by my current interest in nautical history and research), else I'd go into detail.

• Like 1

woww  awesome, catches expectaculare

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Macjimm said:

When you said "Indian" I honestly thought you meant India

that's because of the Spaniards, when Colon sailed from Spain his goal was to find a shorter route to India. When America was discovered it was thought that it had arrived in India, then they called the Native Americans as Indians.

On 9/6/2017 at 5:24 AM, Teutonic said:

When you said "Indian" I honestly thought you meant India. (So the Pictures helped me realize that it is in fact, NOT India, but the Mid-West landscape of North America haha).

Not that it is any problem, but the distinction could be "Native American" too. This is not meant to poke at you or anything.

Alado,

you have attached my name to Teutonic's words.

• 2 weeks later...

The screens look great and the concept on paper sounds awesome.

Is there a chance for media to sign-up to preview this game, and if so please consider me interested.

I would love a chance to show it on my Youtube channel (when it will be ready to be shown, regardless if it is a month, year, or several years down the line).

(just in case there will be a list this is my mail: info@grunfworks.com )

Edited by Grunf

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SmokeClouds said:

I really hope the devs end up putting first person view in as an option because they'll miss out on a big group of players if they don't.

plus this would be the perfect game to have a first person view.

Can't hurt anything if it is optional.

Great project. I hope you will use your experience well. Im glad there is a story too.

Anyway many things are still unknown or unclear.

- The world dynamically changes. Does that mean that there will be new quests or new minor activities in an newly changed area? Like when new town arise there will be some new quests around.

- Given your past I assume you will try to do pretty much historically accurate and realistic game. No Sioux Rambo killing alone whole camps full of riflemen using a bow and shooting arrows that pierce like heavy machine gun, right? :)  That is probably something that Ubi or EA could think about. Just please avoid stupid collectibles and silly activities. You can use whole land for some "realistic" tracking and hunting including some "special prey" (I can imagine quest from some Native American NPC that tells story about legendary smart mountain lion that avoid traps and killed several hunters...) - that alone could be much better than running around aimlessly because of collectibles.

- How will dialogues look like? Something like - 1. very short linear dialogues, just serviceable text about quests... 2. some short, some longer dialogues, little or no branching, usually about quests and story, but optional chat (lore etc) here and there too ..   or 3. mostly longer, branching dialogues like in usual ARPGs. I hope its not 1, that would harm immersion. 3 is probably too much work and dont needed in this setting so I hope something around 2. Your Indian probably wont talk much, but there could bne few talkative NPCs that could have some stories to tell (about the land, tribes, Indian myths etc. - that could be interesting to hear).

- Could you do some quests (as a hunter or scout) for white men? I know they are basically your enemies, but hey... why not use them for a while if they will give some reward. You can deal with them later. Its a way how to get closer to them and know them better. Its good to know your enemies, right? Maybe there are players who want to play smart Native American, not just good archer and hunter. :)

- Could we expect some RPG elements like some skills or attributes to upgrade?

- Please implement tracking as important mechanics or skill to the game. I know it wil be probably hard to make it as hardcore feature and satisfying for hardcore players but it could make the game outstanding at least in some way...

- What combat mechanics can we expect? Shooting with a bow? Shooting with colts or different rifles? Melee combat with tomawawk or knife? Shooting from horse too? That would be probably too much work for a game that is mainly about stealth and survival...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 2:34 PM, mikawa said:

.... from California to the New York Island ... from the red wood forest to the gulf stream waters ...

well it looks nice although it lacks sails :)

Perhaps you can find a derelict ship with an eagle bow-figure?