Game-Labs Forum

Chancellorsville Opener

kjchan

Hey all, I read Didz' excellent observations on the Steam version of the forums on this battle...and as I was reading through it, one comment strikes me.  Didz in the first phase secured all objectives, but in the next phase had all his troops punted back to the starting position.  So is there any real point to capturing Orange Turnpike and Plank Road?   I see they're listed as victory conditions, but couldnt I just keep my troops in a defensive posture in the first phase, so that way I'm not running to and fro and throwing away lives needlessly if I have to capture the objectives twice?

My general suggestion is to push hard for the western VP and use it as bait to funnel enemy forces in as they try to retake it. The woods directly north of the point are a strong enough defensive point that you can effectively break the Confederate forces for the rest of the battle from there on the first day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As the union i would stand back on day 1 and 2 and find good defensive positions and let the confederate army bleed himself out attacking you, especially on Day 2 with Jackson.  So when you get to day 3 you are facing a decimated army and you can fairly easily get to both objectives.

Damn... i only managed to draw this battle as the union. Went on a offensive day one to secure both objectives, during the retreat my units got pinned down and killed. I had barely and army around 60.000 on Hard mode ( one before legend ) i have lost 25.000 and not enough money nor manpower... only have 200K and 11000 recruits..

:( i got overwhelmed by massive sized 3 star CSA brigades.

well that did not work, i waited the first day for them to come. They only attacked me with skirmishers and 2 brigades, now the map is bigger and i am surrounded. Going to see what i can do to bleed them out, need to focus on the woods and draw them in the open.