Game-Labs Forum

how far can i see

we always see the fog 

would it be possible to make a larger circle of seeing the distance

it looks and feels cramped

+50 % would probably  solve that problem

in good weather conditions, i could see 30 km clearly

Edited by Thonys

For an observer on the ground with eye level at h = 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m), the horizon is at a distance of 2.9 miles (4.7 km). For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 feet (30 m) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 12.2 miles (19.6 km).

I think everyone has experienced the kind of fog or rain that has been so dense that visibility is close to zero, while in some places it is rare, in others it is almost routine, the Grand Banks is notorious for it's fog and many ships have been lost because of it. Heavy rain in the Caribbean and the Atlantic/Pacific oceans is an everyday fact of life and the reduction in visibility is well documented.

In game I think such phenomena is well represented at least as far as storms go, it is one of many hazards that occur at sea, (currently the only one in game and we are fortunate that we do not experience storm damage) always has been, is and always will be, despite the advent of Radar there will be losses like the Andria Doria. It is, I'm afraid, a natural fact of life, reflected In the game, be thankful that the game does not truthfully reflect real life, sailing in storms for days at a stretch is not a fun experience, it is however part of the sea going experience, further, be thankful that you do not have to fight your ship in such conditions.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

I think everyone has experienced the kind of fog or rain that has been so dense that visibility is close to zero, while in some places it is rare, in others it is almost routine, the Grand Banks is notorious for it's fog and many ships have been lost because of it. Heavy rain in the Caribbean and the Atlantic/Pacific oceans is an everyday fact of life and the reduction in visibility is well documented.

In game I think such phenomena is well represented at least as far as storms go, it is one of many hazards that occur at sea, (currently the only one in game and we are fortunate that we do not experience storm damage) always has been, is and always will be, despite the advent of Radar there will be losses like the Andria Doria. It is, I'm afraid, a natural fact of life, reflected In the game, be thankful that the game does not truthfully reflect real life, sailing in storms for days at a stretch is not a fun experience, it is however part of the sea going experience, further, be thankful that you do not have to fight your ship in such conditions.  

well even at storms we have some good visibility in rl at sea

perhaps everything becomes grey but the visibility is good if it does not rain

in this game, we have fog, fog , and fog and more fog

we need some bright wheater sometimes i don't say that we have to remove it , but  sometimes we need better weather

than only fog , fog and  more fog , or less  heavy fog when having nice weather

caribbean-storm.jpg 

bad weather in the distance but NO  FOG (summer in caraiben)

https://fthmb.tqn.com/9n85_440fFKCA7XvqfhBR0oitW8=/4182x2575/filters:no_upscale():fill(transparent,1)/about/asia-in-july-where-to-go-594178ac3df78c537b88b408.jpg

in the link ^^ you see no fog 

only a cloud in the distance

where is the fog

storm-in-open-ocean-weather-rain-climate

beach-jamaica-header-BEYONDCARIBBEAN1016

look good >> NO FOG 

Edited by Thonys

7 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Consider performance issues and ships starting to run from big distance away from you once you're spotted.

a oke so tthe fog act like a cloaking device

a decloaking device at 2 miles

I personally regard fog and rain as a godsend, an enemy ship can pass within 50 feet of me and by the time they have cleared for action and come about to an intercept course I am gone, disappeared and if I have turned, even just one tick either side of my course then I may never be found again.

I do agree that fog may be overdone a bit, fog is much more likely above and below the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn as the air is cooler and the droplets that form fog do so more readily in colder climes, however it may be found between the tropics if conditions are right, but usually around dawn and it burns off quickly once the sun is up,  but I do think the rainstorms have things about right for the Caribbean Sea.

@Thonys

This was my [ELITE] Guide done a while back. The distance in NA doesn’t mimic real life in so far as it’s a vertical cylinder view you get. Height elevation has no effect on the distanced viewed only the angle of eye line. For example, peaking over a hill…

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855697559

Norfolk.

5 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Thonys

This was my [ELITE] Guide done a while back. The distance in NA doesn’t mimic real life in so far as it’s a vertical cylinder view you get. Height elevation has no effect on the distanced viewed only the angle of eye line. For example, peaking over a hill…

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855697559

Norfolk.

Ah good stuff

well all in consideration the developers have to do something about it

, in the beginning, it looks all nice but after a while, it's beginning to annoy me

if you are in the crows nest you have to look much further,  if you are on a plane you can see America from Tokyo

the Fog is too dense that's for sure

if there is a technical problem they have to fix it 

perhaps a small flag would do the trick looking true the spy glass

visual contact

that will increase the knowledge about ships type

or perhaps a way to accomplish it by using upgrades(who are not in the game yet)

like visual range upgrade by spy glass

or crows nest upgrade +25 % visibility 

or the elite scout  + 50 % visability

actually there is nothing in the game about  visibility or scouting capabilities

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Thonys said:

perhaps a small flag would do the trick looking true the spy glass

visual contact

that will increase the knowledge about ships type

or perhaps a way to accomplish it by using upgrades(who are not in the game yet)

actually there is nothing in the game about  visibility or scouting capabilities

I would be In favour of National flags in open water, though flags were and still are difficult to see until the ships are relatively close together and some national flags can appear similar at a distance or in poor light or angle which simply serves to make the contact more intense.

Lookouts were generally experienced sailors, Able Seamen or above, they would have had 10 years or more as an Ordinary Seaman and maybe several more years as a Boy Seaman,  they would have served on several ships and would be able to recognise those as well as ships that served in the same squadron for a considerable distance, often before a national flag becomes visible. Some could even name ships individually from a class of ships as there were often differences in the way they look in the water or the cut of their sails, though I suspect such differences would be difficult to build into a game, even the paintwork could give a clue as what ship was approaching, Captains were responsible for the upkeep of their commands and painting came out of their own pockets, a degree of leeway was allowed from the painting styles, they would look similar in style but may of had variations in shades of colour. This is in part why Paints can be important in game, one tends to remember  distinctive ships and the Captain(s) of them.

Scouting ships were almost invariably 6th or 5th rates, sometimes a 4th would be used if nothing else was available, consequently their visibility was more limited, they would actually get close enough to the enemy to determine what ships were there then run back to the fleet which would generally speaking be just over the horizon. They operated in comparative safety as no Captain of a Ship of the Line would fire on them unless  fired upon, It was, strangely to us today, considered to be 'not the act of an Officer and Gentleman'.

Scouting could be one way to 'employ' newbies, give them something a bit different to do and involve them in the community. In game of course it will be more dangerous for them, very few SOL Captains would resist the temptation to blow a single 6th rate apart and of course he may well be chased back to fleet by the enemy's own scouts.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 1:45 PM, seanjo said:

For an observer on the ground with eye level at h = 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m), the horizon is at a distance of 2.9 miles (4.7 km). For an observer standing on a hill or tower 100 feet (30 m) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 12.2 miles (19.6 km).

But what is the distance of a top mast spotter spotting another top mast at the horizon?

6 hours ago, Thonys said:

perhaps a way to accomplish it by using upgrades(who are not in the game yet)

Visibility is a powerful tool to a fleet commander, especialy with such high upgrades to become a game changer.

You should not think along the lines of "It would be nice if ...", but rather "What if my enemy can ...".

This maxresdefault.jpg

and for land please as well. :D (And flags and gun-ports and crew and ...)

In other words, you'll always see fog and it'll always feel cramped unless we all have mega powerful computers that deal with this. ^_^