Game-Labs Forum

On 9/7/2017 at 8:07 AM, Jamesk2 said:

1. If there was nothing changed, the range of engagement for infantry brigades are the same no matter what weapon they use.

On 11/2/2017 at 12:08 PM, guidon101 said:

Whoa? Is that true? Sounds like a game-changer.

I just finished an MG Union campaign, and I definitely noticed differences in firing ranges with different infantry weapons (or at least many cases where one infantry brigade can fire at another infantry brigade that can't return fire out of range).

Anyone else confirm this?

On 11/2/2017 at 12:13 PM, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

I have no idea what Jamesk2 is talking about. I had the same experience as you, guidon.

On 11/2/2017 at 12:19 PM, The Soldier said:

Infantry brigades have had the same firing range since UGCW first got released on Steam.  You should pretty clearly be able to notice that a Farmer with 200 range has half the range of a Fayetteville with 400, but it's not in-game.  Range appears to be standardized around 300 for most infantry brigades.

The Range stat now just tells how accurate the weapon will be at the edge of the range.  The higher, the better it will be at that kind of engagement.

Also note that hills have a minor effect on firing range - large ones even moreso.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, guidon101 said:

Wow, that really blows my mind. After all this time, I never noticed (the AI seemed to always bring better or equal guns, so I assumed that's why our weapon ranges always seemed similar). I had to test it just for sanity's sake, and I can confirm:

Ran a quick simple test with 1 fresh brigade with Re-bored Farmers (220 range) vs. Fayettevilles (400 range) at the opening of Richmond as Union.

1) you can see their visual range indicators are the same

2) When actively shooting at enemy units, they can shoot from the same max distance. The Fayettevilles couldn't shoot farther than the Re-bored Farmers, when their range should be almost double.

So, Artillery, Skirmisher, and Cavalry brigades all change their max firing ranges depending on weapon, but infantry does not? Is there anything else I missed?

Any other non-intuitive but significant game-changing mechanic out there? I guess that topic might deserve its own thread.

Though this might be a tad necromantic,

I thought I might point out that the manual at the top of page 17 states:

Infantry

Infantry brigades are the backbone of your army. They are equipped with rifle muskets and bayonets and are suitable for attacking or defending and punish any kind of enemy. Their weapon plays big role to their effectiveness. Infantry weapons have all the same fire arc range in the battlefield, simulating the fact that infantry formed lines and fired synchronized volleys under the command of their officers. Infantry brigades have the unique ability to generate skirmishers on the battlefield that fight independently.

edit>  also at the top of page 30 states:

Infantry weapons

There are two main weapon types used by infantry, the older technology muskets and the rifles. The muskets have slow reload rate and are very inaccurate. Due to being heavier and usually longer, they are better for melee than shooting. Rifles on the other hand are much more accurate and reload faster. Although the various infantry weapons have different ranges in data, their fire arc is having the same size, simulating the fact that infantry fought on lines and executed organized volleys under the guidance of their officers. The most common and reliable infantry weapons according to their price are considered the “Springfield M1855” and “Pattern 1861 Enfield” rifles.

I'm pointing this out for other newbies like myself that could be mislead by threads emphasizing pluses and minuses for firearm ranges for infantry brigades. It pays to read the manual.

I am curious if anyone has seen if this affects the brigade spawned skirmishers. (not a deliberately designed skirmisher brigade). I would hope that the spawned skirmishers would have the range benefit and not be limited to the brigade (nominally equal) range?

Edited by Gray_Lensman
Additional manual info

The Manual was written in the infancy of the game. It was decided it was not worth updating as the game evolved. Any information in there is suspect. 

I can guarantee you that is a true statement. 

An infantry unit can spawn a skirmisher upon command, that skirmisher unit has the exact same weapon/range/firepower  of the infantry brigade that produced it. The skirmisher unit moves like a skirmisher rather than an infantry unit, but its weapon is unchanged. 

16 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

The Manual was written in the infancy of the game. It was decided it was not worth updating as the game evolved. Any information in there is suspect. 

I can guarantee you that is a true statement. 

An infantry unit can spawn a skirmisher upon command, that skirmisher unit has the exact same weapon/range/firepower  of the infantry brigade that produced it. The skirmisher unit moves like a skirmisher rather than an infantry unit, but its weapon is unchanged. 

I can accept that the manual was not updated constantly. Most game manuals tend to be dated, but from what I'm observing while playing, it does still seem to hold true about the Infantry brigades having the same arc and range no matter the weapon. Am I observing this correctly? And if so, when a skirmisher is spawned off, does it have the longer range associated with (of course) the same brigade infantry weapon, but not being used in volley mode?

On 4/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, Gray_Lensman said:

I can accept that the manual was not updated constantly. Most game manuals tend to be dated, but from what I'm observing while playing, it does still seem to hold true about the Infantry brigades having the same arc and range no matter the weapon. Am I observing this correctly? And if so, when a skirmisher is spawned off, does it have the longer range associated with (of course) the same brigade infantry weapon, but not being used in volley mode?

Yes, each regiment has the exact same firirng arc. 

Watch the bullets fly and you'll see which weapons greatly exceed the arc. 

On 9/1/2017 at 11:59 AM, IronClad said:

As a very new player (only 3 hours played) these tips are greatly appreciated, thank you.

This is my first post on the forum, and I guess it's also my introduction. I can already see it's a great community with some extremely helpful players - I look forward to learning and maybe making some friends.

Hi,

Newbie too. Been playing UG about 6 weeks. Not playing as often as I would like ! But that’s life. So far playing the historical battles or a few quick games. Usually as CSA. I’m a seasoned war gamer, but it does take a while to get used to the mechanics of UG. Each battle I seem to learn something new. Will start a campaign when I feel can do myself justice !

The community is great. Lots of help and advice available.

Regards