Game-Labs Forum

OW Travel Time  

70 members have voted

1. 1. DO you think OW Travel eats up too much time?

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, Demsity said:

If anyone wants super fast travel perhaps an age of sail game is not for them.

Fair enough. Can we agree then that the current OW sailing mechanic is not really representative of a full fledged sailing game? I's just a super slow WASD arcade mechanic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nym said:

Fair enough. Can we agree then that the current OW sailing mechanic is not really representative of a full fledged sailing game? I's just a super slow WASD arcade mechanic.

Yep OW is treated like a cheap tool to enter and connect the beautiful detailed with sailing physics loaded instance. We can't move yards, we throw ship sailing profile overboard even other captains burn their flags and dump the cannons when using OW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nym said:

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Skully said:

Goal:

1. Open World should be about fleet and ship movements and positioning.

So having good tactical placement of assets is just as important as getting a good shot of in battle.

Definitely arcady and also serving its purpose.

Changing the speed up and down is purely a subjective call as long as battle entry timers are modified accordingly. (WYSIWYG battle.)

Which brings us back to OW travel eats too much of our time.

To which I can only say, where is my watch officer so I can retire to my cabin for some well earned sleep?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

If your Goal is using OW sailing to get better positioning for instance combat it would have to actually be slower so you would have a chance to out maneuver someone

Can you elaborate?  Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

think about it.. currently you can sail in game from Coast of Cuba(at closest point) to Key West.. in less real time then it takes to fly between them . These speeds do NOT make for a game of strategic chess in the pre battle times

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macjimm said:

Can you elaborate?  Sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, CaptVonGunn said:

think about it.. currently you can sail in game from Coast of Cuba(at closest point) to Key West.. in less real time then it takes to fly between them . These speeds do NOT make for a game of strategic chess in the pre battle times

The game we play on OW is not a sailing strategy game, but a strategy game with jet fighters.

We have comms, speed and ultimately engagement. Conceptually this resembles naval warfare, but on a different time scale. We can never have real time.

So ultimately the discussion on how fast we should be able to sail OW is moot. It needs to go up for action and hauling, it needs to go down for tactics and skill.

Focus on the question "DO you think OW Travel eats up too much time?" and you spot the real problem: my time is more valuable than potentially losing a ship (by being afk).

On 8/31/2017 at 5:51 PM, admin said:

Long travel is THE experience - give the feeling how the captain felt those days.

Maybe for a game like Sailaway - The Sailing Simulator.

20 hours ago, Nym said:

Can we agree then that the current OW sailing mechanic is not really representative of a full fledged sailing game? I's just a super slow WASD arcade mechanic.

But this is no content for an arcade machine. So I claim @admin is wrong in his presumption that most gamers are delighted by this experience. They love OW and Combat, but not long travel doing nothing but staring at blue. (Darn, did somebody leave the door open for pesky gamers again? :P)

Ergo back to my, where is my watch officer so I can retire to my cabin for some well earned sleep?

• Like 1

Just now, CaptVonGunn said:

That helps .   So you are saying that the speed is too fast to allow for players to use strategy in setting up their position in OW for the instance?

I thought it was just me but it seems like the OW speedboat race happens in a blind rush and is more hand eye coordination rather than tactics.  If the whole process was slower I would be better able to evade a hunter or counter attack at the best moment to gain a more advantageous position in an instance to increase my chance to escape.

• Like 1

I like it the way it is. When I go hunting, part of the excitement comes from the search and mice and cat game that develops from there.

Yes, sometimes we want to get into action right away, but shrinking again the distances would just hinder the rest of the game imho.

OW speed shouldn't be increased. Tasks and quests could be added during travels. Why not sending orders to your outposts to craft/buy/sell ships during OW travel ? Why not turning some port activities into OW activities ?

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, LeBoiteux said:

OW speed shouldn't be increased. Tasks and quests could be added during travels. Why not sending orders to your outposts to craft/buy/sell ships during OW travel ? Why not turning some port activities into OW activities ?

This would be gold

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

we are considering this for the future. Current priority is to tune rewards a bit and continue to focus on UI and localization (other languages).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, admin said:

we are considering this for the future.

Am I hearing Agent Smith teleportation?

13 minutes ago, Skully said:

Am I hearing Agent Smith teleportation?

Nope, you just hear voices in your head, like Joan of Arc ;):P

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1