Game-Labs Forum

OW Travel Time  

65 members have voted

1. 1. DO you think OW Travel eats up too much time?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Insta tags will be abused a lot as defensive tags. If defensive tags get fixed, then we can think about insta-tags...

Defensive? Why not leave timers for NPCs and remove them for player vs player only. Want to do defensive tag on NPC? you have to wait for timer, but it won't work on players. After all battle starts as you position it. Think ahead. 

Edited by George Washington

Peter Goldman    1,276
6 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Defensive? Why not leave timers for NPCs and remove them for player vs player only. Want to do defensive tag on NPC? you have to wait for timer, but it won't work on players. After all battle starts as you position it. Think ahead. 

I don't think you understand the issue. Tagging NPCs is just a smaller problem of evading fighting or defensive tagging.

jodgi    2,328
12 minutes ago, Nym said:

the issue is OW travel speed.

Ok, then. I think it is one of our smallest problems. It ties into other and bigger problems, sure, but in itself it does little harm. If we can tweak or fix other (off topic) issues much of the travel pain will be relieved automagically.

Macjimm    477

Currently the Open World time lapse creates the effect of speedboats skimming across the waves.   We can teleport a ship (with it's cargo) to a nearby port when we are close and avoid a hunter that has set up an ambush.  The game has been pushed to the extreme edge of what is playable with mechanics to reduce sailing times.

I don't need to make multiple voyages across the entire map each type I play NA.  I am a casual player and just don't have the time to game for 6-12 hours at a time.   With an hour or two I am able to make a trade run, sometimes two.   Usually I only get to sail for about 20 minutes.  The rest of the time I am in Port.  I like sailing and don't want to reduce the amount.

If we speed up the OW travel we will further reduce opportunities for hunters and it will be more difficult to watch for other shipping.  These little boats will start to resemble fighter jets or space craft darting and teleporting about the sea.

Nym    13

Fair enough.

I have one quick question for any that have tried this. How long does it take to sail from one end of the map to the other?

Let me put it another way.

If the singular goal of any given player was to get from one end of the map to the farthest other end, regardless of the reason, would you not consider several hours of travel time a flawed game mechanic?

If the point of a large map with many areas of interest(ports & discoverable trade opportunities, etc) is to encourage travel and exploration, would excessive travel times not actually discourage that particular gameplay scenario?

I ask because I've just read some of you wonderful people's replies where you raise the issue: why would you want to travel so much for x or y reason instead of just staying in one area.

Again, doesn't it then defeat the purpose of having an open world, at this scale, altogether?

Keep in mind that I used to love the slow pace of OW sailing in NA, but as I grew in rank and exp I found that the very thing I used to enjoy is now limiting me in terms of expansion and discovery. I used to really want to know "what is around the corner", I still do, but now I know that I have to pay a steep price for it. That price is time.

Many seem to underestimate this issue and I think this makes the game attractive to a smaller demographic than it deserves.

Anne Wildcat    1,300

I've pretty much sailed the whole map and would definitely not want to be able to sail it in one session. Take it in small steps.  Use freeports as stopping points. 

Macjimm    477

Nym,

I like having the choice of short journeys and longer ones.

Most nights I don't have enough time to sail for many hours.  But on weekend or a Holliday I have occasionally engaged in a voyage that is several hours.

And on the days when I am on short sails it is satisfying to know I am part of a larger world.

Shrinking the experience down so all places are accessible more quickly would not improve the game.

Having the choice is nice.

8 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Most nights I don't have enough time to sail for many hours.  But on weekend or a Holliday I have occasionally engaged in a voyage that is several hours.

Lol, this guy. Clearly explained how this game works and why we do not have numbers. 

Thank you for your honesty. 

Macjimm    477
Just now, George Washington said:

Lol, this guy. Clearly explained how this game works and why we do not have numbers. 

You misunderstood.  Most nights  I don't have the time to fight for hours either.

12 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

You misunderstood.  Most nights  I don't have the time to fight for hours either.

No, I understand you clearly. We need content that will make you entertained for let's say an hour, but instead all you can get in 1 hour of sail from 1 port to another with NPC fleet on the way. What did you earn in one hour? Nothing much. Sad reality. 

Let's for example take Albion Online, where in 1 hour you can make up to 500.000 and also loose it in the same period of time. This is balance. 

Here we invest weeks if not months of work in ships and loose everything in 1 hour. Balance you say?

So, to fix this balance problem everything in this massive world must be sped up and loosened up. Starting with OS speeds and finishing with gold drops and prices. 

Anne Wildcat    1,300

NA is a niche game.  I'm 42 with a job, a house, and learning a second career.  I enjoy the slow pace of NA when I have time to play. I do not want to see it become a DOTA on sea.

Skully    1,025

We used to have means to quickly jump over the map to roughly any place where action would be.

On 7/27/2017 at 6:19 PM, Skully said:

Avatar TP should be allowed for every place where you have an outpost. The purpose of avatar TP has always been to bring folks to the action.
It does however need a mindset change when looking at Freeports, those would become a hairy place, as they would in a high pop server.

Especially on global you need more elasticity in the front lines. More or less, every nation needs a front line in every time slot.

Edited by Skully

9 minutes ago, Skully said:

We used to have means to quickly jump over the map to roughly any place where action would be.

We used to have 3000 players as well. Maybe we should roll back. 

z4ys    1,614

As a rover I sailed a lot and i was never bitter about the time I have spent sailing. I always sailed with my fighting ship so I was ready for every opperunity the games offered to me. But yeah sailing with a cutter is wasted time. You are no content to anyone.

DeRuyter    725

The OW speed has been unchanged since the first adjustment before the game was even in EA and since then player numbers have risen and fallen with the introduction of other mechanics. It is too simplistic to say that OW speed is the sole reason player numbers have dropped. As @rediii and @jodgi noted there are multiple issues driving the player numbers. For myself after the last patch I found crafting, shipbuilding and searching for RNG dropped skill books to be a much bigger time sink than sailing.

@George Washington I see the point that @Macjimm was making differently. He was pointing out that as a casual player he is fine making shorter sails with limited time. I have no problem sailing a long way in stages so I can open an OP in a new area of the map. People with limited playing time were just as effected by the constant retagging we had before the last patch. I just don't see the problems that the OP has with missions because I don't mind sailing 5-10 minutes to get to it. But obviously from his perspective that is too much. Neither side is wrong as you say, just coming from a different perspective. It is a balance issue sure but this is not a FPS game and for the RvR players the OW should mean something strategically. Bottom line though they tried faster OW speed and it was reduced and tweaked several times already.

Your spawn idea is not bad. Sounds like a "stargate" to different areas of the map. Must be done so that it does not effect RvR though. Reducing the time to get to a PB might be helpful as @rediiisuggested. Bringing in TP to a neutral port will reduce sailing time once you have your OP open as well.

Prater    5,325

4 hours ago, Nym said:

If the singular goal of any given player was to get from one end of the map to the farthest other end, regardless of the reason, would you not consider several hours of travel time a flawed game mechanic?

If the point of a large map with many areas of interest(ports & discoverable trade opportunities, etc) is to encourage travel and exploration, would excessive travel times not actually discourage that particular gameplay scenario?

Why do you need to sail the entire length of the map in a short amount of time?  For what reason?  And why stop with your idea of how long it should take?  Why not make it take 30 minutes to travel the entire length?  10 minutes?  1 hour?  When that happens, scale and size are an illusion and the world is actually very small, so what is the point of the large map?  If you don't want to sail the distance, don't, do something much closer.  The speed after invisibility is pushing it.  Both Eve and Elite Dangerous has extreme distances and travel times, and both games prosper, and there isn't anything to do in the mean time while you travel.  Routes are basically autopilot.  Point to the next destination and warp.  Sail Away has a like 1:1 scale of the world.  It took me like 7-8 real time days to travel from Mass. to the Bahamas.

Edited by Prater

admin    28,121

ow speed is now 40% faster than it was on release and people were happier then

Travel took time in the age of sail and must take time here. We are not considering changing OW speed further. We also have teleports which allow you to jump to any port your nation controls.

Vernon Merrill    2,436

I just wish we could "conduct business" in other ports without having to sail there sometimes...  clearly not moving actual goods but doing stuff that uses crafting hours.

Is there a logical reason why we cant separate those two types of travel?  I'm actual serious, because there may be but I cant think of one...  I think THAT would go a long way to alleiviating the travel time issues.

Just my $.02

Nym    13
2 minutes ago, admin said:

Travel took time in the age of sail and must take time here. We are not considering changing OW speed further. We also have teleports which allow you to jump to any port your nation controls.

Fair enough.

Consider this then. I am willing to spend hours upon hours traveling to far away neutral ports and what not to open an OP to which I can teleport.

I'll probably do it in an Indiaman upgraded for speed because why not save some time. Cool. I get there, I open the Outpost. I like the scenery so much I'm probably gonna want to make that my hunting ground. But my indiaman is not really fit for battle.

I want my cool 1st rate for which I worked in the game to build or what have you.

At this point I have to tp back to my port of origin where I have the 1st rate docked, and then I have to sail it at half the speed back to the place where I have a newly opened outpost.

Without the option to at least have the damned thing towed there overnight like we used to, teleporting to that outpost serves no point, because it's probably a secluded place where there aren't too many things to do, there is no player driven market/economy in that port. So then the main focus of that particular play session for me is to spend 1-2 days just to move a ship from one place to the other.

God help me if I need that indiaman for some trading in my capital port.

Do you not recognize the tedium of this gameplay loop?

There are many other example scenarios where slow travel affects players in a negative way

Like DeRyuter said in a previous reply. It's not that I'm right and everybody else is wrong or vice versa. You have mechanics that cannot coexist in the context of the game without balance.

Right now there is a lack of balance between time spent sailing(doing nothing) and actual "naval action"(roll credits).

I proposed several solutions, and my fellow "EA testers" here have proposed others. I'm sure you might have some better ones if you'd be willing to bend the ear a bit, because it's obvious a middle ground can be achieved without heroic sacrifices from your part.

Think about it. We all want a good game :)

koltes    1,982
1 hour ago, admin said:

ow speed is now 40% faster than it was on release and people were happier then

Could we have speed reduced to in battle equivalent while sailing within a region (near land) and increase to 50% (10% up to what it is now) when entering a deep water?

It will actually slower travel time between regions, so allow for more pvp and engagements, but will decrease time on long travels between distant lands

Demsity    113
48 minutes ago, Bartholomew.E.Dogg said:

If anyone wants super fast travel perhaps an age of sail game is not for them.

This^