Game-Labs Forum

OW Travel Time  

76 members have voted

1. 1. DO you think OW Travel eats up too much time?

• Yes
    • No

Hi people. I've created this thread for everyone that feels the sailing in Open World is too slow and time consuming.

My goal is to get every like-minded player to come here and make some noise about slow sailing, counter-winds and everything related to OPEN WORLD Travel.

For any who would dismiss my arguments, I am aware the speed was increased a while ago, yet I am here to tell you it is not enough, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about the current situation.

My goal with this is to make a bit of noise and hopefully get the devs to make some improvements in this department.

For any who would dismiss the willingness of the devs to acknowledge players demands and opinions, I politely ask you to refrain from posting. I've read all the "Devs are Evil" posts and I find them immature and nonconstructive.

For the devs: I have been spamming the F11 ingame every time I log in and try to do simple actions like getting to a mission or just getting out of port in counter-winds. I hope you do not resent me for it, I'm just trying to prove a point and I mean no ill will.

At the moment 80% of time is spent sailing towards some destination. The farther the destination the longer the sail(doh), and in turn the longer you stare at a screen doing nothing.

This is in ideal sailing conditions. Add some counterwinds and you might as well leave the computer and do chores and come back half a day later.

This scenario is ideal for players who are on vacation, or retired, or simply have nothing else to do and I've heard a lot of players actually play like this.

To those who are not bothered by this, I say, fair enough and good for you.

Just consider those of us who love your game, want to experience all the cool stuff in it but feel like, in order to get to the fun we must first be forced to sit through several hours of doing nothing before we can get the "reward".

It's literally like sitting in a queue at the post office.

Now, I get the fact that the game tries to emulate realistic sailing conditions, and it's doing a nice job in Combat Instances.

Open World is basically the map where the all the stuff is and where you need to get to. This Chunk of the game should be fast paced and represent the least amount of time spent in the game.

At the moment it represents the core gameplay.

Why?

Because if I had to describe this game to a friend I would say,"Naval action a game where you sail a lot on empty seas and occasionally do naval combat."

It should be " it's a game where you do naval combat sprinkled with a bit of sailing for the flavor"

Open world is a great concept, but all other open world games have content in between the important areas of interest on the map.

The open world in naval action is missing this element.There is nothing to fill the empty space in between those important areas of interest.

And when you add a "realistic" sailing feel to the open world travel, at 2kn, this becomes a nightmare to the not so hardcore veteran player who is just sitting there, looking at waves, waiting for the wind direction to turn so they can get somewhere.

After 1h of waiting to travel a few lousy Km, you start asking yourself, why did I log on today?
To get your ship from A to B. To be continued tomorrow?

But, oh wait, what if I decide I want to go back from B to A? Doesn't sound like a very exciting experience, does it?

Whether you like this or not, this particular aspect of the game is keeping people from enjoying the cool stuff in Naval Action.

So what should the devs do?

In my opinion, the main problem stems from the actual wind system.

Very many times you log into the game very excited to do a mission or do a trade run or whatever and right off the dock you get counter-winds.

One's next thought is, "Oh shit this is gonna take me 10-15 minutes to maneuver out of port, then another 5 till I get to my mission(which I clicked 1000 times so I can spawn it near to my port) if it's at a good wind angle.

If not, probably another 10 minutes. So you get 20-30 minutes of practically looking at a loading screen immediately after login, before you can reach your objective which is to play the mission.

Picture this scenario in any other OW game. I bet you a million $ it's not something people want to or enjoy to do.

I see a few solutions to this:

1. Lose the wind direction system in OW and increase the speed across all ships according to their tier. This is very fast and easy to do as you already have a mechanic to ignore wind and sail fast out of danger areas after respawn.

2. Have the areas around land masses use the current system but ignore the wind system once you are heading to open seas and have reached a certain distance from land. Also open seas speed should be increased to shorten the travel time.

3. Keep the system as it is but increase the absolute minimum speed from 2kn to 10-12kn so you actually travel instead of standing still. Big ships suffer horribly from this at the moment.

Additionally people have suggested to bring landmasses closer together/ shrink the map. Personally I like the current map size.

4. A combination of the above. High speed zones + no wind system when you are far enough from land. When you are near land, minimum speed increased to 10kn or so.

I realize you(devs) and some players might not agree with me, but at the end of the day you have to ask: What is the target demographic of this game?

If you guys(devs) are making it for the 100 veteran hardcore old-timers who love the slow pace of OW, then you can call the game done and split it into 10 DLCs and launch it yesteryear.

But judging by the effort and resources poured into the game, I'm thinking you actually care about getting more and more players in.

Subtract the 100 veterans from your current player-base and you are left with new players who ignore the grind because of the excitement that Naval Action can provide, and players like me for whom the novelty is wearing off and still want to play the game but are losing patience to the point of abandonment.

You need to adress the issue that is dead time in your game.
I understand vision, I understand passion. I come from the same profession as you.

As a player I'm telling you, the current travel speed is not enough.
As a fan of age of sail and NA, I'm telling you, it's not enough.
As a "early access tester" of NA, I'm telling you, it's not enough.
In the most friendly and respectful manner possible, I'm telling you, it's not enough.

Let's try to find a solution for this.

Edited by Nym
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

Sorry, impossible to read the text with that blue lines over it.

Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

• Like 1

Sailing ships are complicated beasts, to get the best speed out of them requires constant vigilance, checking the wind strength and direction, the amount of sail set, the angle of the yards to the wind, the sea state and direction of current, all can increase or retard speed.

Now we don't have to factor very much of that into the game which may or may not be a good thing according to taste, or perhaps some of that would be too difficult to factor in. I think that the direction of wind change could be slowed down a bit, the wind (particularly trade winds) are fairly constant as opposed to local winds and are the still the basis of many of todays trade routes so a more constant wind direction would give a slightly higher average speed. For those who the wind is not favourable will naturally spend more time into the wind and would be required to tack a point or two either side of the wind until it improves sufficiently to run a more direct course.

A variable wind speed would also, I think, benefit the game, especially if your ship could suffer rigging and sail damage due to high winds, you would then at least have to consider raising or lowering sail courses and with some instances, less sail can equal more speed in higher winds. The thing is there would be less goofing off watching the waves pass by and more decisions to make while sailing.

Perhaps some eye candy would be good too, a famous ship or two. Ariel, Tapir, Cutty Sark and other notable ships from around the period would be something to see and break the monotony of long sails. Ok so these ships would not have visited the Caribbean Sea, but they would be a nice distraction, so too with sea life, whales, sharks, dolphins, perhaps even turtles, all provide eye candy, there is I think no reason why whales could not be included, the facilities to hunt them are not in game and neither are they ever likely to be. Indeed the addition of ships on a course to and from Europe and the Americas would help populate some of the more barren areas and provide targets of opportunity in those areas for warships that are in transit.

Edited by Sir Lancelot Holland

It takes too much time. It limits gameplay (pvp, pve, rvr ,trading etc.) and is one of the major problems this game has and is more visible now than before. It basically a cancer that slowly kills this game. If Developers ever would consider spawn locations around the world or sped up sailing on OS life would return to the game.

To all those who are refusing to accept the reality of this problem, look what happened to the game and it's numbers. Maybe it's time to accept you are wrong?

Edited by George Washington

I'm guessing you are doing missions in SOLs.  Personally I have not sailed SOLs much, the biggest ship I prefer is the Surprise. Often I'll sail 6th rates when looking for traders to hit.  Sailing upwind can be a pain.  The longest sailing I do is to set up a new outpost, which does take time, but after that I do hunting and usually will go the direction the wind is and follow it around.  I think the game just needs a population boost. I do do trade runs but usually with a fleet of two traders Lynx or 1 traders brig. As a person who enjoys exploring, the sailing times never was much of a bother and I never AFK sail, always watch my back.  Personally I would hate to see the ow speeds sped up.  Although currents are a good idea, but at some point you will be against the current. POTBS had currents and even though the map was smaller (fewer ports), ow was faster, and you couldn't be hit everywhere on the ow unless flagged so AFK sailing was possible, sailing against wind was a pain there too. 

I've been hunting traders in a mercury (although haven't been on this past weekend as my friends have gotten into Conan Exiles).  And going downwind I need to lower my sails as the ships goes fast I might miss something.  As said before, the game needs more pop.  More things to do would be help this. 

12 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

As said before, the game needs more pop.  More things to do would be help this. 

We can't get more population because problems like long travel time firmly protect Naval Action from any number increase. We need tools to quick travel around the world, passive transports without actual sail to port first bs.

Why I can't set my ship to passive sail to X destination and come back in 2 hours and play in that region? 

3 minutes ago, George Washington said:

We can't get more population because problems like long travel time firmly protect Naval Action from any number increase. 

If you don't like travel, why are you traveling so far? With more things to do, more population, the enemy should come to you.  Or are you friends with your neighbors?

if you just want combat, wait for Legends. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

If you don't like travel, why are you traveling so far? With more things to do, more population, the enemy should come to you.  Or are you friends with your neighbors?

People need to travel and look for Action, long travel times choked out even that oxygen. Your only option now is to sail around kill boring NPCs around your home region if you only have 1-2 hours on hands and most of players do not play past 3 hours. Easy fix here, but everyone for some reason is fixed on some other unneeded things. 

• Like 1

Again, with more to do, more population, you should be able to set up a national outpost on the border, sail into your enemy territory next door and find a fight.  If the Devs get more PVE content there should be a population boost and so less tome needed to find a fight.  You should not need to sail deep in enemy territory unless sailing is something you don't mind. 

3 minutes ago, George Washington said:

People need to travel and look for Action, long travel times choked out even that oxygen. Your only option now is to sail around kill boring NPCs around your home region if you only have 1-2 hours on hands and most of players do not play past 3 hours. Easy fix here, but everyone for some reason is fixed on some other unneeded things. 

I tend to agree with you here. I believe the whole point of having a map to explore is to be able to explore it in a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nym said:

I tend to agree with you here. I believe the whole point of having a map to explore is to be able to explore it in a reasonable amount of time.

Even if we had a simple spawn point 30 mins from near land it would mean I save tons time and can explore all world regions, look for pvp and keep Action alive. 

What do we have now? 24 hours to sail from one end to another? This is just silly. What it actually means is game creator wants people to pvp , but he restricted them with long travel time and is confused why game numbers plunged and there is no action. At this point adding any new mechanics or content is pointless as it will not function properly. 

21 minutes ago, George Washington said:

It takes too much time. It limits gameplay (pvp, pve, rvr ,trading etc.) 

When not sailing through the OW or reducing time spent on OW how would you meet your opponent?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Even if we had a simple spawn point 30 mins from near land it would mean I save tons time and can explore all world regions, look for pvp and keep Action alive. 

The issue with spawn points, although I could be wrong, is the same with teleports without cooldown. People will continue to hop from here to there actually reducing the amount of ow traffic, to find fights. Can't find a fight here, hop there, can't find a fight there hop back and log off. 

6 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

The issue with spawn points, although I could be wrong, is the same with teleports without cooldown. People will continue to hop from here to there actually reducing the amount of ow traffic to find fights. Can't find a fight here, hop there, can't find a fight there hop back and log off. 

True but then you had PVP hotspots and atm as a casual player its impossible to fight where you want, i never sail longer then 20 min for a quick pvp, as a Swedish player it takes to long to sail towards the British, American's, pirates, Spanish, and maybe dutch, so the options are French or Danes for some quick pvp, but then you get the problem of Ganking/Revenge fleet again cuz you are right outside there capital.

and I know you can make outposts at the front line, but im not sailing my ship alone, ofc the nation sails together but that's not always when you are online, and the sail is at least 1/2 hours so you spend one evening sailing on the open world and there is nothing to do while you are sailing so my very quick out of options to get my pvp.

think NA legends will be the solution for casual players with not to many hours to play on a normal day.

Edited by NielsVisser
:)

13 minutes ago, z4ys said:

When not sailing through the OW or reducing time spent on OW how would you meet your opponent?

activity sircles, long requested feature that would keep pvp alive. Reduce travel time with spawn points and show activity on world map.

ex.Players started killing NPCs, after 10 missions were completed region is highlighted with 'active' marker. Players then can sail 'reduced' amount of time use spawn point (requires battle XP to jump) and teleport regions thus still required to sail for at least 20-30 minutes before reaching land. 

This is how game looks now. Every piece (ideas) can be connected together if you know how. Eventually you will see the image underneath. 

Blog+Jigsaw+a.JPG

41 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

The issue with spawn points, although I could be wrong, is the same with teleports without cooldown. People will continue to hop from here to there actually reducing the amount of ow traffic, to find fights. Can't find a fight here, hop there, can't find a fight there hop back and log off. 

Isn't this what we need? pvp players show up for a fight? 

With my idea People can't just hop here and there. They must accumulate 'battle points' and use them in order to jump. So, active players who do missions or kill npcs will be able to jump no problem. Those who just logged in and do not have points will be required to do activities and get enough points. This is designed to keep players in game playing while slowly increasing content that they love. If they love missions, you crate 10 times more missions, if they love loot you create more loot variety, if they love epic events you make them better and spawn them more often (divide them in 3 categories, once every hour, 4 times a day, 1 day epic). All these activities drop currency that can lead to Great ships and prizes. Easy. 

This means today I do pve activities and save my points for big pvp events or region group hunts. Tomorrow I join my group and we go hunting in active regions.  

This could create massive battles that NA haven't seen in a long time. This is the only way to bring NA back to life. All what's left after is pve content and polishing. 

I agree that traveltime takes too much time. Its not as bad in the antilles but still takes long. For a planned portbattle you already need to meet up 1 or more hours before to organize everything and then start the sailing which can easily be 40 min or so.

I would just up the travelspeed and change the "attack" timer to a instant action I guess.

What could also work is to make the wind change faster. So not 48min or what it is for a 360 rotation but like 20 min. So if you have bad wind you are atleast not forced to wait 20 min until its good again. 

what needs to be done in my oppinion right now:

inc the travelspeed

make pvp worth it / pay for itself (not only if you win constantly like now)

make it easier to get portbattles

reduce craftingcosts (LH and mats etc.) for ships and make them less linear. make 2nd rates cost like now, make 1sts costs more and 3rds less. Make the 5th rate the standard pvp ship.

• Like 2

For me travelling is fine now (they boosted OW speed by 20%). What we need is more players. Look at your national chat, you don't have to travel far away for PvP. Every 5-10 mins there are reports of enemies around capitals.

• Like 2

By increasing travel speed tags in certain regions get impossible because of port placement. Therefore we need instant tags and not 15s warning time.

By increasing wind rotation you get out of bad wind fast but you get into bad wind again fast rd well. So it's not a solution.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

For me travelling is fine now (they boosted OW speed by 20%). What we need is more players. Look at your national chat, you don't have to travel far away for PvP. Every 5-10 mins there are reports of enemies around capitals.

Yeah, can't understand why people have to live in bases far away from the pvp hotspots that makes finding targets harder. I'd be inclined to look at increasing speed slightly based on how many players on the server maybe, not a lot though. There shouldn't really be a need to travel half the map or more in 1 play time very often. More players = more targets = less time to find some etc

19 minutes ago, z4ys said:

By increasing travel speed tags in certain regions get impossible because of port placement. Therefore we need instant tags and not 15s warning time.

By increasing wind rotation you get out of bad wind fast but you get into bad wind again fast rd well. So it's not a solution.

I agree on instant tag. Wind rotation won't make any difference with travel problem. I suggest travel speed increase with spawn points within 30 mins of sailing from any land. Use daily activities to accumulate 'battle points' use them to jump regions. Simple yet effective. I do not see any other way, by just increasing speed you are only postponing the problem. 

10 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Insta tags will be abused a lot as defensive tags. If defensive tags get fixed, then we can think about insta-tags...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Insta tags will be abused a lot as defensive tags. If defensive tags get fixed, then we can think about insta-tags...

A reduced tag circle that fights always start in long shooting range could solve it maybe.

• Like 1