Game-Labs Forum

Why did players leave?

Simon Cadete

31 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Blueprints used to be not know but dropped, from crafting, like you suggest.  People hated it. Personally, I did not mind it. 

Crafting is passive inside port practice. Fleets are OS (Naval Action/Sailing) practice that creates traffic and targets. They need to remove drops from craft and bring them to OS. NPCs should drop free ships. People loved it. 

Edited by George Washington

5 hours ago, Simon Cadete said:

With all that said. I'm curious to know specific reasons why people in global quit. I know that a lot don't log in to the game but still check the forums.

So, why did players stop playing?

Players don't leave or quit. Players stop playing. They do it for 3 reasons
1) They win (conquer everything they wanted)
2) They lose and see that they can't win
3) They finish the game (their personal win)
4) They don't like the game

66% of buyers like the game. They stop playing because they finish the game. For example they level up to victory/santisima: experience the ships they like, look at the world and move on spending 30-40 hours finishing the main content (ships). Some start trading and also finish the game once they built the ships they wanted or made millions in the risky environment. 

We have no plans to artificially tie or lock these players to game (and plan to remove or ease the artificial shackles created in the 24th may patch). 

Those who stay for longer - stay for pvp and rvr.
They destroy their opponents and then act puzzled asking why their opponents leave + start complaining about lack of rvr or pvp. 

With no advertising there is no influx of new players and this situation will continue until we add UI and localization. The blood flow is artificially stifled so we don't waste marketing money on brining the game which has no UI for example.

Ratings accentuate this problem.
Good ratings increase sales.
Lower ratings reduce inflow of players removing pvp and rvr completely. New players buy the game "because ships", not "because pvp" as pvp players read the reviews that pvp is bad bad bad. 

Situation will continue until UI is done

• Like 5

Just now, Rickard said:

the only thing you need to fix this problem is getting new content, don't change things that are already in the game. we just need more things to do like many players already have pointed out, I have also created topics with new mechanics and new content as have tonnes of other players please just look at them and get the game as full with content as possible.

There is enough content for new players for 30-60 hours of gameplay. They can't experience it now due to several reasons.

8 minutes ago, admin said:

They destroy their opponents and then act puzzled asking why their opponents leave + start complaining about lack of rvr or pvp. 

With no advertising there is no influx of new players and this situation will continue until we add UI and localization. The blood flow is artificially stifled so we don't waste marketing money on brining the game which has no UI for example. Ratings accentuate this problem. Ratings increase sales. 

On 8/23/2017 at 0:07 PM, Quineloe said:

None of these changes will matter admin as long as 90% of PVP ends with "Battle Report: No Rewards"

We're spending our time, our most valuable thing, when playing this game. You don't value our time at all, you need to start valuing it. Moreso than you value the pixels we fight in and sink and lose.

And that's how we rate the game.

Edited by Skully
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

Grinding for ages hostility for PB and grinding for ages skill books and mods in PvE? 

how long does it take to get the best legendary weapons in other popular MMOs?

hostility is getting much better - we will get it to testbed soon

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Skully said:

And that's how we rate the game.

90% of battles in EVE pvp ends up with kill mail only. no xp no money.
yet of course one can say that you can level up pvp skills in eve by just sitting in station in 1.0

21 minutes ago, admin said:

66% of buyers like the game. They stop playing because they finish the game. For example they level up to victory/santisima: experience the ships they like, look at the world and move on spending 30-40 hours finishing the main content (ships). Some start trading and also finish the game once they built the ships they wanted or made millions in the risky environment. 

We have no plans to artificially tie or lock these players to game (and plan to remove or ease the artificial shackles created in the 24th may patch). 

With no advertising there is no influx of new players and this situation will continue until we add UI and localization. The blood flow is artificially stifled so we don't waste marketing money on brining the game which has no UI for example.

Lower ratings reduce inflow of players removing pvp and rvr completely. New players buy the game "because ships", not "because pvp" as pvp players read the reviews that pvp is bad bad bad. 

I value your opinion , but I must ask few questions.

So, you agree that Naval Action is designed to keep players playing until they reach max level and then leave them hanging with no content? All these long travels and 1 hour battles were designed on purpose to keep player in game for X amount of hours before they get bored and quit?

According to your words reaching max rank is finishing the game that cost $40 to a buyer? I am puzzled here. You are actually confirming that $40 will only get you gameplay where you lvl up to max rank, build the biggest ship and get bored after that. There is nothing waiting for us beyond that? is that correct?

Also, do you think your current game design working properly or as intended? 

I appreciate your time. 

Edited by George Washington

Just now, Peter Goldman said:

In popular MMO games you can buy legendary weapons for cash or other currency. I have 15m gold right now and probably another 30-50m gold worth in assets. I can't find Planking books and some other skill books for myself. No one is selling them, I can't loot them in PvE because of RNG fortuna. Any advice for me? Thanks.

Thats the function of online - not rarity. Less people less drops (with probability being the same).
They need to be adjusted but we want some things to be rare.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rickard said:

30 - 60 hours is barely new content, what we all really need is a new depth in this game like exploration(like you said in your "OWN" blog 2 years ago) or a more difficult RVR system (like I have suggested to you many times) that takes a lot of time but is still rewarding and very fun.

You have to look at that from the perspective of the new player. Who spends several days just learning manual sail. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, George Washington said:

I value your opinion , but I must ask few questions.

All these long travels and 1 hour battles were designed on purpose to keep player in game for X amount of hours before they get bored and quit? So, reaching max rank is finishing the game that cost $40?

No.
Long travel is THE experience - give the feeling how the captain felt those days. Lonely days at sea, excitement of seeing an enemy captain on the horizon
But you don't have to travel - you can level up to max level without leaving the capital waters.

1 hour battle IS the experience which bring realism to the game. 
You also don't have to experience 1 hour battles and just play assassin creed one shotting everything with auto-aimed swivels.

And for some reaching the max rank IS finishing the game. They want to sail the ship they could never sail in real life with the experience that happened in real life. Only after some time you start hating long travels and lonely sea. Only then you start asking for tp. Initially players are in awe .. you just lost that feeling because its not new anymore (FOR YOU). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, admin said:

You have to look at that from the perspective of the new player. Who spends several days just learning manual sail. 

this

I probably spent my first 100-200 hours doing PvE mostly. And I was happy doing it. I almost stopped playing after getting to the Santisima, because I thought I had seen everything. It was kind of a coincidence that I kept playing. I went to another nations capital with some clanmates in some renommées, we found ourselves a lone victory and caputed it. From then on I learnt to enjoy PvP and the endless possibilites it has. 

AAA games give you content for what, 40-50 hours?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sven Silberbart said:

Just some reasons why players quit atm. I am talking only about my experience on PvP Server.

PvP Gladiator: Wants equal fights all the time. OW isn't for equal fights. NA Legends should be the better game for such a player type, maybe they are waiting for release.

That's exactly the situation for me and 3 friends of mine. We gave up on OW. The only reason why I'm still wandering on the forum is to get some infos on NA Legends. I truly believe in the potential of NA Legends, but if my (not that high) expectations aren't met, I fear I will just give up NA completely. I fear that day might come soon enough.

18 minutes ago, admin said:

90% of battles in EVE pvp ends up with kill mail only. no xp no money.
yet of course one can say that you can level up pvp skills in eve by just sitting in station in 1.0

So your advice, for new players, is just stick to EVE as NA isn't any better?

Or would you rather tell (/reward) them for playing (food in) NA instead?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Washington said:

I found what I was looking for and thanks you for your reply. I can depart from here with ease in my heart. I wish you all the best of luck guys. 

In the end, I would like to use this phrase: like throwing peas against the wall:) 

we prefer to underpromise. This is the current experience. Expect the worst. This is what we have been saying from DAY ONE. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Skully said:

So your advice, for new players, is just stick to EVE as NA isn't any better?

Or would you rather tell (/reward) them for playing (food in) NA instead?

Captains were rewarded for bravery indeed even if they lost. And we did reward for bravery but unfortunately this feature was overexploited

NA is currently the best realistic age of sail experience. 
If you are unsatisfied with the experience - it does not make the experience bad or incorrect.
We will remove some bad things we added in may patch, but we have no plans to adjust and downgrade the realistic age of sail experience to the tablet game levels. 

For battle only experience we are making a separate product who will take away people who are not interested in authentic age of sail experience of the open world.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, admin said:

Captains were rewarded for bravery indeed even if they lost. And we did reward for bravery but unfortunately this feature was overexploited

NA is currently the best realistic age of sail experience. 
If you are unsatisfied with the experience - it does not make the experience bad or incorrect.
We will remove some bad things we added in may patch, but we have no plans to adjust and downgrade the realistic age of sail experience to the tablet game levels. 

I fully agree and I'm not looking for a tablet cookie clicker instant gratification. 

Yes, it was exploited, but I think we can fix this by not rewarding more than whatever value was truly sunk.

Do not make casual players suffer for the behavior of trolls.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peter Goldman said:

The way it was fixed:

Remove something that worked well because 5% players exploited it so 95% other players cannot enjoy it.

Because 95% whined about it and did not forsee the consequences. 

10 minutes ago, Skully said:

Because 95% whined about it and did not forsee the consequences. 

100%
OMG danish player is farming xp on calling pve reinforcements - plz fix NOW and ban denmark
OMG pirate players are shooting each other plz BAN now and ban pirates make them sail gunboats only
OMG players come to port battles in captured 3rd rates (full pb) omg ban them remove capture we want empty PBs

thats one more reason players are leaving. stop whining. enjoy the ships and vast open sea.. like nelson did

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Rickard said:

no, you shouldn't, you need to look from the realistic way, not the way that suits you most at this time, your players at this moment want more content! if you design a game from the perspective of a new player the first few hours of the game will be fun but when you're a veteran player the game gets boring and players leave.

Based on veteran hours we have no problem retaining veteran players if they start pvp and rvr.
We have problems converting new players to veteran players. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, admin said:

The biggest problem is the time! 

Naval Action is a fulltime job. The most guys have a fulltime job and not  enough time for naval action 

• Like 3