Game-Labs Forum

Why did players leave?

Simon Cadete

I know that there are bad mechanics in the game, I know that the game consumes a lot of time and a lot of it is doing boring things(trading, crafting and moving stuff around. I also know that we have different time zone players in the server and that makes it harder for decent port battles. 

With all that said. I'm curious to know specific reasons why people in global quit. I know that a lot don't log in to the game but still check the forums.

So, why did players stop playing?

• Like 1

The constant fighting-only-state of the game has become boring for me. There is nothing but fighting in this game. Even the traders fight in ports outbidding each other.

The economy is a joke,  everything is based around a few resources or materials, there is no real "need and disease".

No exploration. Why no exploration?

For me, the devs have to introduce some more besides new RvR mechanics to keep me in the game.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Peter Goldman said:

The hardcore game became too hardcore. Now we need to make it more casual and player friendly. Everyone is waiting for an update.

3 minutes ago, Cortez said:

Because they made a part time job out of this...and they call it "hardcore" :)

Pretty much this. 

• Like 3

No content. Game is missing key elements to remain afloat. We have many ships, good graphics and combat, but there is no life outside Ports. I am not going to repeat 100 times, but they just need to take a look at suggestions and start adding fun features every normal MMO has. 

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Pada said:

49 parts Sailing, 1 part fighting.

49 parts sailing in an empty ocean with no interactive content actually multiplies everything by 2.

They need to fix multiplier first and then add tools to make 49 -> more like 10. If there was no multiplier problem it would not feel so bad as it is. Once again adding more ships to the game won't make world interesting and immersive. 

I like PvP challenge and tactical fleet battles. But getting this I have to do too much work. Port battles are only for a minority of players with TS and a lot of sparetime and ROE favours pirates looking for a gank. Not big multiplayer battles. 

The 3rd rates where my favourite ship, but in order to loose a fight I need months of trading and building everytime I need a new ship. Not that I had the time or economics to build ships as I had before patch.

I gave it a try after wipe but I gave up.

It's out of proportions.

A shame as the game was a favorite of mine a year ago...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I gave it a try after wipe but I gave up.

It's out of proportions.

A shame as the game was a favorite of mine a year ago...

This problem existed for a long time and instead of fixing it game officially becomes a hardcore product sealing all doors and hopes for casuals. Keep hope alive. 

1 hour ago, Batman said:

The constant fighting-only-state of the game has become boring for me. There is nothing but fighting in this game. Even the traders fight in ports outbidding each other.

The economy is a joke,  everything is based around a few resources or materials, there is no real "need and disease".

No exploration. Why no exploration?

For me, the devs have to introduce some more besides new RvR mechanics to keep me in the game.

Exploration! Then it really would be Elite Dangerous on the high seas.

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

The hardcore game became too hardcore. Now we need to make it more casual and player friendly. Everyone is waiting for an update.

Yet again Peter is right. A shame really because I don't see the game getting more player friendly at this moment.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Simon Cadete said:

I know that there are bad mechanics in the game, I know that the game consumes a lot of time and a lot of it is doing boring things(trading, crafting and moving stuff around. I also know that we have different time zone players in the server and that makes it harder for decent port battles. 

With all that said. I'm curious to know specific reasons why people in global quit. I know that a lot don't log in to the game but still check the forums.

So, why did players stop playing?

Just some reasons why players quit atm. I am talking only about my experience on PvP Server.

PvP Gladiator: Wants equal fights all the time. OW isn't for equal fights. NA Legends should be the better game for such a player type, maybe they are waiting for release

PvP Roamer: Can go hunting. Can find enemies and sink them, but the low population makes it more and more hard to find enemies, large sail time, few rewards per timeunit spend

PvP Soldier: Nearly no RvR atm (Biggest reason i guess is the low population atm). To get PB-Ready ships they need to do what much of them hate: PvE Grind to get Marks

PvE Player: Mission Ganking isn't for everyone. Some player went to PvE Server or leave. Lack of content for PvE Players.

Trader/Crafter: Can trade a lot atm. But if he get cought with all his valueable goods...maybe leave. Full loot system isnt for the most players. Some players said: Broken economy

Personally I think the biggest problem:

-> The game forces all kind of PvP Player to do PvE, to get effectively marks and gold for new ships or upgrades with a huge amount of time needed. Rewards for PvP are far too low. You have to sail much time to get a fight and then you need to win to get rewards. If you loose, your situation is more bad as before.

• Like 5

Well yeah, game lacking severely in terms of content is one of the main reasons. They added grind to "keep people busy" and in game but it backfired hard and made people quit and lose interest rather than play more. Small wrecks ( no fleet event / sealed bottles - those are rubbish ) and islands that are not on the map and can be discovered / picked up while sailing would go a long way to make OW more interesting... i think it is very important to improve the OW experience ( yes the scenery is very nice but thats about it ).

• Like 1

devs listening to a handful of outspokens instead of hearing out the entire community caused the splitting of the servers.

Wars happened 24/7, not when it was convenient for one party or the other. Because one nation's group/clan is sleeping doesn't mean wars should stop. There are other groups/clans in that nation, in other time-zones, that can pick up the slack. One side was catered to, that was when i knew the curtain has been drawn. Only to appease one group,  and to shut out the rest of the world because that handful (eu elitist) were & are the most vocal.

crafting? what crafting. no experience. and the stuff you were able to craft, gone. What was the reason to get to Level 50 in crafting?  >poof!<

trading? >insert expletive here<

Instead of a "contract" market there should be an "open" market (an idea i had put forth last year). One can place contracts, but ALL bids are shown on a market board in said port of call and "WE, the consumer" can pick&choose which contract WE wish to fulfill for that specific resource, a "free market". Not one that is shoved down our throats because some nefarious marketeer wants to stifle(choke) another nation's available resource/s.

Fleets??  if your primary sailing vessel is a warship... no warship fleets for you! 

ps-

the pirate "green v. green" tagging in the presence of enemy vessels is an exploit and severely abused. To tag each other in face/sight of enemy should never be allowed. It is an exploit, used to cheat, to get out of situations. I am a pirate and this disappoints me when I read about this mechanic being exploited and abused.

Remove Pirates as nation. Make raiding possible for pirates. Allow for one "Island Fortress".

Perhaps reintroduction of Teleportation, in a limited role, would alleve the heavy time-consuming OW travel.

The making of this game into "hard-core" has made this game into a "second job". <_<

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 2

Whether the game is easy or hardcore, PVP or PVE focused, it has to have a critical mass of players (I don't know this number) in order to sustain existing population number or grow. We were on a downward spiral long before the wipe.The loss was accelerated when all economic activity became more difficult. Rather than trying a few things to curb inflation, Devs implemented all possible solutions at once. Too much medicine won't cure a sick person.

But that being said, I think we would hear far fewer complaints and lose less people if the NON gameplay functions or methods were easier. Things like:

1. Having to sail or TP to places just to see what you have in your own warehouse

2. Having no reliable (or even rumor) way to finds goods for sale

3. Having to search third party tools just to figure out what materials you need to collect to build a ship and then not knowing of those 3rd party sources were accurate until the crafter attempts to build.

4. Needing to distract your captain by going to a port to accomplish what in real life would be done by a letter or instructions to an employee.

5. The constant shuffling of individual materials rather than being able to group and easily trade them to crafters.

6. No organization tools in warehouse.

7. The mystery and search of what books or mods do and then not knowing if you have the official, correct information.

This is just a few. I really believe it's the clunky processes, not the actual gameplay,  that make this such an unbearable grind. 

Biggest problems 1. Time you need to play this game

2. no new content like, different missions, quick pvp,

3. the grind from 0 gold and 0 xp, its to hardcore example when I finally had enough money to sail a snow and then you make a mistake (because you are a new player and you don't know everything at the time) you get pushed back in that basic cutter.

4. this is not an insult but a review Naval action feels as a baby to me, don't expect that it can walk, what I mean is you never expect something like a new feature, ofc they have new ships but every patch they change numbers over and over again, add something like a new mission, (not the same mission on a different location) like the option to choose which sail you want to raise or a new boarding system, or when you are in a battle and not boarding the option to fire muskets. on the other side the option to make a Clan flag so or a squadron flag inside a port battle so you can divide your fleet. I can keep going on for hours with ideas.

Is it that hard to make such things? is it that much work? if you cant make Naval Action a good game then (you know what I want to say put it in a box and sell or make your dev. team bigger)

I will visit Naval Action Open World Once a month and look what you have done but I will play Legends like most of the people will do.

Edited by NielsVisser
:)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

3 hours ago, Cortez said:

Because they made a part time job out of this...and they call it "hardcore" :)

These are EXACTLY why. I already have a job - I don't need another playing Naval Action. There have been some good improvements in several patches, but in several others when a tweak was necessary instead it would be "LET'S CHANGE EVERYTHING!". Each time it has catered to the most vocal on these forums. I guess that's understandable in a way, but it would have been better managed to bear in mind that for every zealot on the forums calling for ultra realism there were five or more who don't have the time, patience, etc to devote to that sort of thing.

Like when the ships went to 1 durability. Okay, I can get behind that and I think it's a good change...but along with that the ships were made MUCH more difficult to produce and acquire and the cannons now cost more than a ship. That isn't even realistic - it just caters to the folks that said "lolz this game is too easy".

I'm one of the people who have pretty much stopped playing and it's too bad because at various phases of the game I really enjoyed it. I have around 1000 hours in, and it would no doubt be more but I have essentially given it up since the 10.0 patch. And, I was also one of the people who prior to certain measures being taken warned against them as being overly serving to the hardcore base and not to casual players - you know, the ones that actually populate any game. If anyone is interested I'm sure you can find them by checking out my profile history.

At this point, as much as I at times want to get back into it I find myself so disgusted at how inconvenient it is to turn a small profit or get cannons for anything larger than a small 5th rate if I don't want to sail across the Caribbean.

It's too bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Dedicated gamers like hardcore, casual like easy...very simple.

and MMO game need a lot of players online to go on, so NA shall find the way to be appealing not only for hardcore players but also for casuals ... even simpler

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

Well yeah, game lacking severely in terms of content is one of the main reasons. They added grind to "keep people busy" and in game but it backfired hard and made people quit and lose interest rather than play more. 

They forgot about rewards and loot. It would never backfire in that case. If people got random loot similar to potbs and drops, especially rare ones game would grind on. They could spice things up with ship blueprint drops with low drop rates for ALL ships! Even full 1 dura ships could drop! People would never leave this game then... Reading all Steam reviews my conclusion is people miss getting free stuff and especially ships like 3rd rates, so why in the world you would restrict them from this entertainment? I don't get it. 

5 minutes ago, George Washington said:

They forgot about rewards and loot. It would never backfire in that case. If people got random loot similar to potbs and drops, especially rare ones game would grind on. They could spice things up with ship blueprint drops with low drop rates for ALL ships! Even full 1 dura ships! People would never leave this game then...

Blueprints used to be not know but dropped, from crafting, like you suggest.  People hated it. Personally, I did not mind it. 

The game gives us too few objectives to really fight over on a consistent basis.

The one objective we do have -- port battles -- are actually TOO organized. The nature of them encourages 25 of the most expensive ships, ideally manned by only the largest and most experienced clans, to duke it out but only every few days, tops. This is content that most players found themselves cut off from.

So most people never do get to have a real fight in NA where it matters who wins, apart from their own personal risk.

This is why you see a lot of PvP games have distinct, minute-by-minute goals. Capture this tower. Capture this other tower. Okay now capture this fort. Now go mine this rock and fix the fort. These are like "mini-goals" that players can fight over and it matters if you win the fights or not.

PvP roaming -- just kind of vaguely patrolling the world looking for someone to gank where it really doesn't play any role at all in any sort of larger scope and is not working towards any objective -- gets old pretty quick for most people.

• Like 3